Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Savannah, Georgia 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Savannah, Georgia 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Arrow Westin Savannah, Georgia 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Reviews elsewhere are mostly negative.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Ive been to SAV a couple of times, didnt stay at the Westin or even DTown. I stay in the MidTown area were there arent any FS Hotels.

However keep in mind that The Westin is Not located in DT either but is a bridge drive away (dont know its theres a toll or not), or if the Hotel runs a shuttle., but it is isolated but I believe comes with a golf course.

If you want to be in the Downtown area and want a FS Hotel, you have Double Tree, Marriott, Hyatt (probably the nicest there and right on the River) the Hiton is a good few blocks inwards but in the middle of The Historic District, also theres a Hilton Garden Inn. Here and there you will find some Hampton Inns and a Courtyard-Marriott
Old Mar 14, 2007, 3:40 pm

Programs: Platinum AA, Gold Skymiles, *wood Platinum
Nice Place

I stay there often. It is a very nice hotel if you get a suite. I find the rooms a bit expensive ($250+/nt) otherwise. I've used the AAA card, and gotten $189 a night rooms a few times.

It's clean and has heavenly beds, and while it is on Hutchingson island via bridge, it is a short ferry/boat ride across to River Street and downtown and it's historical districts. The only challenge is scheduling your touring around the ferry rides and having to walk up the hills to get to downtown Savannah.

There are lots of conventions in the area, so the hotel is often filled and busy. The parking is safe and the people are the resort have always been exceptionally nice.

There is a gorgeous golf course on site and a very nice spa if you get time for that.

There is a resort fee of something like $16/nt as it's only drawback.

The other option is to stay at Palmetto Bluff
Old Dec 5, 2007, 10:40 am

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Spent a weekend at the Westin just before making Platinum this year and was extremely impressed despite many of the negative comments I have heard here.

Common areas are immaculate and look even better with the elaborate Christmas dislpays!

Check-in was fast and easy. Upgraded to a River view balcony room on the top floor - spectacular views of the city and the huge tankers and cargo ships heading up-river.

Service was perfect and attentive, and the concierge was extremely helpful. Restaurant recommendations and reservations were easy and she even arranged for us to purchase trolley passes from the concierge at the Hyatt where they were offering a 2nd day free.

Location is across the river - which to me was a bonus as Savannah can get a bit loud at night. Lots of bars, revelers, and young people. Ferry ran regularly (every 20 minutes) and made for a nice ride.

Didn't eat at the hotel - hardly ever do when staying in a cool city - so I can't comment on the food.

Very nice golf course they will shuttle you to. Golf course, spa, and fitness center are all in the same building. Spa was excellent as well.

It can be expensive at ~$200/nt with a $17 resort fee added on. Parking is free, so is the ferry. Never got in the car for the 3 days we were there.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 10:44 am

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Forgot to mention...

Just booked for St Patrick's day weekend (need to stay Thurs-Sun). If you have never been it is absolutley a blast!!! Second largest St Patty's day parade in the US.

Rates start at $299/night, but they are offering C&P for $60 + 4k pts. When you search on spg it doesn't show either c&p or pts as an option, but if you click on Book Now it becomes an option on the next screen.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 6:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Just staying at the hotel now.

Not overly impressed to be honest, but only staying here for one night so it is not too much of a chore.

Checked in, told I had been upgraded to a deluxe river view room. Pointed out that I had booked that exact room and got a blank look and a shrug. Asked if this was the best available room and was told that it was. A quick check on SPG seems to back this up, so fair enough, but they could just say 'we can't upgrade you as we are busy' and that would be fine - don't lie.

The room is a little tired, but everything works and it is a decent size. The view is very nice however.

Not sure I would rush back here, but I'll try to keep an open mind in case I've just dropped by on a bad day.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 3:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, SPG LTG, UA Silver, AA Gold, Hertz 5*
Savannah or Hilton Head

I am planning a golfing trip with my Dad from March 9 - March 15th and was wondering if any golfers had a preference of Savannah or Hilton Head? We are interested in visiting Sav / HH / and Charleston while we are down there for dinner after golfing.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 4:23 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
For better or for worse, you might want to take into consideration that Savannah's St Patrick's Day parade is scheduled for Friday, Mar 14 this year.
http://www.savcvb.com/events/?ms=631

That's affecting hotel prices in SAV for the later part of your trip (I'm surprised that the Westin's not already sold out), and it will definitely be a busy few days around town for that very popular event.

I'm not a golfer, so my opinion doesn't count for much. But I'd think that Hilton Head would be the better pick for that aspect.

It's a very long drive from either of these hotels to CHS. Likely more than a couple hours. Only about 45 minutes from the Westin Hilton Head into downtown SAV, though. And there are plenty of great restaurants in SAV, too! (Not that Hilton Head can't provide a good meal on its own.)
Old May 22, 2008, 9:38 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
My wife and I had 3-night stay recently.

Since I'm dirt in SPG, no upgrade.
We did have a king with a view of the river/downtown SAV.

The one issue I had was we could clearly hear the people in the rooms on both sides of us and anyone talking (even softly) in the hallway.

AquaStar restaurant was good but expensive.

Free water taxing to River Street is a plus.

Staff very friendly.

Free-self parking with valet at $20/day.

Resort fee of $20 (does not include use of computers in biz center, they're $5/day).

Nice pool with plenty of lounge chairs.

Golf course is one of the nicer resort tracks I've played.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Staying here now (free wireless). Staff is fantastic. Suite upgrade not available the first night; but was the second and we moved (we've got two kids with us so the extra space is appreciated).

We enjoyed the Sunday Jazz brunch as AquaSea.

MR BL enjoyed the course and said it's a fairly easy course to play. He mentioned the Heavenly golf cart with GPS (he has sky caddy, but nice just the same) and are airconditioned. They did call him ahead to say they were aerating the greens tomorrow on one of the 9s; but would give him 1/2 off if he still wanted to play (just repeating the same 9).

I very much enjoyed the spa and have another appt. tomorrow. My parents room had a ripped chair that definitely needs tending to and I do notice some fairly large spots on the carpet.

All in all, we've been pleased with the stay and especially with the service.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL Silver, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred
The Westin by far has the best hotel pool in the city. I've stayed here many times, and love the place. The bar staff has been one of the best I've had. The only issue I've had here is sometimes with the wind, you get the smell from the paper mill, and it gets into everything...a very unpleasant odor.
Old May 6, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum

Stayed here on a Cash and Points basis earlier this week -- terrible experience. Arrival was fine, got 500 point amenity without asking. Nothing else. Had to ask how to get to the elevators as the desk person gave me a key and moved on to the next person in line.

Room was fine. Nothing amazing. I'm PM and didn't sense any recognition of that. Wi-fi wasn't working in the room--called down to desk who connected me to tech support in Canada. After an hour got it to work.

Spend the entire second day out on the town; came back at 8pm to see that the room hadn't been made up. Went downstairs to reception to tell them that. They said "oh, we're sorry." I suggested that I would be interested in getting the coffee replenished. They said "sure" and gave me two more packets from the back room. No question about "do you need fresh towels?" (I didn't) or "would you like your bed turned down?" (I wouldn't have said no to the chocolate ). They just gave me the coffee, stared at me blankly, and I left. Found internet wasn't working again. Called down. "Yes, we know. Sprint is working on it."

Checking out the next day, see a $20 resort fee per day for the two-day visit. At check out, went up to desk. Young woman stares at me silently and blankly -- I say "Hello. How are you?" She says "fine." Okay...not a conversationalist I think to myself. I ask about the resort fees -- she says I got a card about the fees when I arrived. I explain that I didn't. She agrees to take off one day's resort fee charge (and incidentally, I don't get the "resort" aspect of this place at all -- because they have a golf course they're a resort" ). I explain that the internet is still off. She explains "no, it's working fine." I explain "no, it hasn't worked since sometime yesterday in the rooms." She insists she just used it and I suggest that maybe there are different servers for the lobby and for the room -- the desk supervisor (playing with the computer all this time) says to the girl: yes, it's a different server. Girl looks at me wordlessly like "OK, that's figured out." At this point, I turn to the supervisor, Ms. Yolanda Glover and politely say "I must say that this is my first trip here and I don't think the service or amenities are up to Westin standards. My room wasn't made up yesterday, wi-fi doesn't work, minibar is empty, no corkscrew (I went down to the restaurant with a bottle of wine where it was grudgingly openned for me by a waiter), $20 fees appear mysteriously..." Ms. Glover does me the courtesy of making eye contact and says (not entirely convincingly) "I'm sorry. We've taken everything out of the minibars a few months ago." That's it. Nothing effusive, no request for further information on my experience... just a "sorry about the minibar." Then she turns back to her computer screen.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the lack of even moderately interested personnel make this a place I will NEVER go to again.
Old May 6, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis
I find this Westin to be completely hit or miss, with many more missed than hits in the recent past. It used to be a beautiful property but it has been looking quite tired lately as well. This, on top of the staff who are indifferent at best and down right rude at worst, have made for some very bad experiences as of late.

I, too, decided I would not be back after my last stay. Of course, I did not call Customer Service to complain, instead voting with my wallet.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Westin Savannah Harbor... Ok place?

Does anyone have any comments regarding the Westin Savannah Harbor Golf and Spa? I'm not into golf or spa treatments (yet) but I will be staying there over the 4th of July weekend. I was eyeing the Four Points in Savannah but their prices shot up for some reason! There was no price change at the Harbor so I booked it and hope to have a good time...

Thanks for your comments.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:42 pm

Programs: ??????????
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Does anyone have any comments regarding the Westin Savannah Harbor Golf and Spa? I'm not into golf or spa treatments (yet) but I will be staying there over the 4th of July weekend. I was eyeing the Four Points in Savannah but their prices shot up for some reason! There was no price change at the Harbor so I booked it and hope to have a good time...

Thanks for your comments.
This was the place my wife and I stayed the first time we visited Savannah (just for reference ... we were married in Lafayette Square 2 years later ... and are trying to move to the area now).

I can't say the Westin made is what made the trip, but we enjoyed the hotel liked the privacy on the island. We had no issue with the ferry boats (free for hotel guests) at all, and only did touristy things for 4 days ... so the location worked out well. I booked the stay through Hotwire on the cheap and upgraded to a nicer room for $20 ... harbor view, high floor.

Granted, of the 9 times back to SAV we've only stayed there one other time, we enjoyed it much the same (on a points stay as gold), and received an upgraded view room.

The grounds / pool area / bar areas are nice. To be honest, I prefer the location of the Hilton DeSoto (we had our wedding reception there) ... my last 2 stays have been at the Four Points in the Historic District, and while its location is easier for a quick walk to areas in the Historic District, you're at a Four Points (Free Wi-Fi though) and not the Westin.

That said, GET A SPA TREATMENT BOOKED NOW IF YOU CAN. The last time we were there they were booked solid 2 weeks before arrival. We found other places in town for massages / etc and had a great time, but the Spa at the Westin is very impressive (expensive ... but impressive).

Go to Huey's and Clary's for breakfast ... and Mrs. Wilkes if you can swing it (but she's closed on the weekend).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.