Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Society Hill, Philadelphia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Society Hill, Philadelphia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:29 pm

Not sure if this has been posted yet as I haven't ready through pages 1 or 2, but this hotel has kind of a hack for a suite at a standard room price.

They offer a 513 sqft Traditional, non-smoking: Queen Murphy Bed Room. When I checked in here a few years ago when I first got the room, the lady at the front desk asked if I booked the room intentionally as some guests don't like the murphy bed.

Well, you do have a murphy bed, which has the same exact mattress as the normal beds, but you get a room that's the same size as a suite with a couch, a chair, a bigger closet, some long hallways, and a larger bathroom. Generally you get a really nice corner window with a view.

If people didn't know about this, it's a pretty good deal for the standard price. Plenty of room to stretch out and feel a bit more relaxed. I have gotten an actual suite in this hotel and it was roughly the same size, but it had a bit more furniture and a nice rustic wood coffee table that this murphy bed room lacks. That's about all the difference.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:14 pm
azj

Any recent experiences at this property? SPG Gold here and I'm looking for an SPG hotel in Philly to take the family this summer. There's a good deal for not much more $$$ to snag a suite, for not much more than a Club room. We are 3 people and the extra space might be nice, plus the club access. Arriving from NYC via train, our goals are exploring the history of Philly for 2 nights and then renting a car and driving to Gettysburg. I was originally looking at the Westin, but it appears sold out for that weekend, unfortunately.

Last edited by azj; Apr 18, 2017 at 6:53 pm
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat
This is a great property for a summer visit to see the historic area of Philadelphia (Old City). You a short walk from the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, the new Museum of American History, Spruce Street Harbor Park and a huge number of great restaurants. The Westin is in more of a commercial area of the city - still nice, but a little over a mile walk to Old City. The commercial district tends to be a little more empty on summer weekends - many residents escape to the NJ, MD, and DE shores.

Hertz rents cars directly from this hotel at the concierge desk which would be convenient. Your best bet from Amtrak's 30th St Station is a taxi to the hotel - mass transit would not be worth taking with a family, luggage, and summer temperatures.

My only caveat would be that this hotel hosts a lot of weddings and wedding parties over the summer, not sure if that's a concern for you or not.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:52 pm
azj

Originally Posted by 76toPHL
This is a great property for a summer visit to see the historic area of Philadelphia (Old City). You a short walk from the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, the new Museum of American History, Spruce Street Harbor Park and a huge number of great restaurants. The Westin is in more of a commercial area of the city - still nice, but a little over a mile walk to Old City. The commercial district tends to be a little more empty on summer weekends - many residents escape to the NJ, MD, and DE shores.

Hertz rents cars directly from this hotel at the concierge desk which would be convenient. Your best bet from Amtrak's 30th St Station is a taxi to the hotel - mass transit would not be worth taking with a family, luggage, and summer temperatures.

My only caveat would be that this hotel hosts a lot of weddings and wedding parties over the summer, not sure if that's a concern for you or not.
Great! The plan was to cab from 30th St station wherever we stayed anyhow. The focus of the visit is the history aspect, less the downtown museums and restaurants. But, it's great to know the rest of the city is also quite accessible as well. The proximity of Hertz has sealed the deal! Thanks for the info.
Old May 1, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I stayed in one of their suites April 14th to attend the members only opening of the new Museum of the American Revolution. The location is perfect for what you are doing. I recommend you take a meal at the City Tavern just across from the hotel.
Old May 2, 2017, 1:33 pm
azj

Originally Posted by eajusa
I stayed in one of their suites April 14th to attend the members only opening of the new Museum of the American Revolution. The location is perfect for what you are doing. I recommend you take a meal at the City Tavern just across from the hotel.
Thanks for the advice. As for the car, Hertz in the hotel was ridiculously expensive, so I reserved a car at Budget, with just a short walk to the Hilton.
Old May 2, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by 76toPHL
This is a great property for a summer visit to see the historic area of Philadelphia (Old City). You a short walk from the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, the new Museum of American History, Spruce Street Harbor Park and a huge number of great restaurants. The Westin is in more of a commercial area of the city - still nice, but a little over a mile walk to Old City. The commercial district tends to be a little more empty on summer weekends
I agree completely. This hotel is a great location for the historic (touristy) part of Philly as well as some great restaurants & bars. The staff is great and there's a nice, open lobby (with sitting rooms). The club lounge has Coke Zero (hard to find at many SPG properties!) along with lots of other sodas & water available 24/7. I really enjoyed my stay and this will definitely be my go-to hotel in Philly from now on.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:46 pm

The hotel was just sold and will likely be leaving Sheraton soon, according to the new owners, who intend to rebrand, as quoted in this article:

https://www.hotelnewsresource.com/article99094.html

Last edited by James Luckard; Mar 29, 2018 at 8:41 pm
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by James Luckard
The article also quotes the new owners as wanting to change brand affiliations.
This is disappointing as I always take advantage of the 3,000 SPG point suite bonus when
I stay there. The closest hotel at Penns Landing is a Hilton. I wonder who what
affiliation they will choose.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:40 pm

Ah, I missed that part, I only skimmed it. I'll amend my post, thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I wonder who what affiliation they will choose.
Marriott Hotels.

According to https://www.hotelmanagement.net/oper...riott-property :

"The Buccini/Pollin Group and Marriott International announced plans to transition the Sheraton Society Hill into the Philadelphia Marriott Old City. The transformation of the 364-room hotel will be complete in July 2019."
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
I hope they fix the abysmal internet speed (<2 mbps at the “high speed” tier).

Hotel is near some great restaurants and a few breweries.

Glad to hear it is staying in the Marriott brand. The Renaissance isn’t too far away from this hotel.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Horace
"The Buccini/Pollin Group and Marriott International announced plans to transition the Sheraton Society Hill into the Philadelphia Marriott Old City. The transformation of the 364-room hotel will be complete in July 2019."

I am booked for the Sheraton Society Hill in early August. When I made the reservation, there were notices that hotel was undergoing renovations to be completed in July, with concierge lounge closed until July 19 and pool permanently closed. I figured it would all be done by August. Yesterday the hotel emailed me to say that "for the week of July 29-August 2, 2019," they "were asked to relocate ... guests out of the hotel to meet an important renovation deadline." They instead made me a reservation at their "sister property" the Renaissance Philadelphia Downtown honoring the rate I had reserved at the Sheraton. Also offered me some bonus Bonvoy points to make up for the inconvenience.

I'm guessing the renovation has been delayed, which is not unusual, but I'm glad they were proactive in moving me to what appears to be a more upscale property with a couple of weeks notice, rather than show up and find the hotel in construction disarray.
dgreen12 and krakendown like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:25 pm

renamed Philadelphia Marriott Old City

renamed as of today, 7/25/19:

https://www.hotelnewsresource.com/article106358.html

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...iott-old-city/
Old Apr 19, 2023, 4:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Any stays?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.