Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Society Hill, Philadelphia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Society Hill, Philadelphia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2009, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
anyone with recent experiences????i'm attending a wedding in philly next month & got a great rate of $99 a night at the sheraton society hill....
Old May 25, 2009, 1:27 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by saad
anyone with recent experiences????i'm attending a wedding in philly next month & got a great rate of $99 a night at the sheraton society hill....
I stayed 3 nights at this property in Oct 2008. Because of a wedding party, the property did not have suites available for Plat upgrade.

The pool size suffices for swimming laps, and the small whirlpool remained available each day that I used it. They have a convenient locker room below the pool area. I found the gym adequate although a few of the cardio machines seemed in less than optimal condition.

The Club Lounge serves a continental breakfast without hot dishes, in line with the usual Sheraton. Afternoon snacks consisted of salmon on bread and another dish that I no longer remember. Most importantly, the Club Lounge is open on weekends.

The location is convenient to the Liberty Bell and all the associated colonial-era tourist attractions. The neighborhood itself is quiet and within walking distance of a few restaurants. I ate at Bookbinders, which served good seafood although the server took the liberty of rounding up my bill to the next whole dollar. After contacting the restaurant regarding this error on my CC bill, they provided a BS explanation about pre-authorizations, promised to correct the error, then did nothing. I promptly disputed with my Chase, and they refunded my $0.31. I would recommend this restaurant with the caveat that you check your credit card bill afterward.
Old May 25, 2009, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Totoro
I stayed 3 nights at this property in Oct 2008. Because of a wedding party, the property did not have suites available for Plat upgrade.

The pool size suffices for swimming laps, and the small whirlpool remained available each day that I used it. They have a convenient locker room below the pool area. I found the gym adequate although a few of the cardio machines seemed in less than optimal condition.

The Club Lounge serves a continental breakfast without hot dishes, in line with the usual Sheraton. Afternoon snacks consisted of salmon on bread and another dish that I no longer remember. Most importantly, the Club Lounge is open on weekends.

The location is convenient to the Liberty Bell and all the associated colonial-era tourist attractions. The neighborhood itself is quiet and within walking distance of a few restaurants. I ate at Bookbinders, which served good seafood although the server took the liberty of rounding up my bill to the next whole dollar. After contacting the restaurant regarding this error on my CC bill, they provided a BS explanation about pre-authorizations, promised to correct the error, then did nothing. I promptly disputed with my Chase, and they refunded my $0.31. I would recommend this restaurant with the caveat that you check your credit card bill afterward.
thanks totoro....i'll post my experience after completing my stay....will check out bookbinders if i get the time....
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:02 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by Totoro

Is the Club Lounge still open on weekends? The website seems to say no. Anyone have experience from recent stay here?

Also, any chance of getting comp UG to club as a Gold? The rate I would be staying on isn't exactly a cheapo (not sure if that makes a difference).
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I am presently staying here for a three night stay and I have mixed feelings about this hotel.

As others have noted, the area is fantastic. It's a generally quiet area with lots to see and do, and some great restaurants in the area.

However, as others have noted, the hotel is gnerally in a state of disrepair. The bathroom is disgusting. The wallpaper is stained. There are ants crawling around on the floor in the bathroom. There don't appear to be any in the bedroom area and the bed is comfortable...

The hotel is at capacity and all the other *wood properties in Philly are sold out, so I'm stuck.

I would not encourage anyone to stay here!
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:08 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by gnedge
I am presently staying here for a three night stay and I have mixed feelings about this hotel.

As others have noted, the area is fantastic. It's a generally quiet area with lots to see and do, and some great restaurants in the area.

However, as others have noted, the hotel is gnerally in a state of disrepair. The bathroom is disgusting. The wallpaper is stained. There are ants crawling around on the floor in the bathroom. There don't appear to be any in the bedroom area and the bed is comfortable...

The hotel is at capacity and all the other *wood properties in Philly are sold out, so I'm stuck.

I would not encourage anyone to stay here!
Wow - OK, thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 12:58 pm

I attended a brunch here and have to say the food and service were fantastic. As has been said, the hotel is conveniently located to the historic area (independence hall, liberty bell, betsy ross house) and lots of great restaurants (Buddakhan, expensive but fabulous, Jones, Stella are some to try). If you enjoy having everything in walking distance but still have a "quiet" location, this is a great hotel.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:09 am

Location: WashDC - AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, Cal Tort Burrito Elito
Recently Renovated?

Considering a stay here later in the year and i see that SPG website reports the hotel was recently renovated. Can anyone report on the rooms and facilities post-renovation?

Many thanks.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
Is the Club Lounge still open on weekends? The website seems to say no. Anyone have experience from recent stay here?

Also, any chance of getting comp UG to club as a Gold? The rate I would be staying on isn't exactly a cheapo (not sure if that makes a difference).
Yes, the Club Lounge is open for both breakfast and cocktails on the weekend, BUT no beer, wine, or anything else with alcohol is served on weekends.

My room was perfectly satisfactory, although no upgrade was available because the hotel was hosting three wedding parties. The room was clean enough and not entirely worn out. I suppose the bed was 'sweet sleeper'; at least it had the corresponding bedspread. The water in the pool seemed a bit off -- foaming and full of a chemical smell. In general, I would rate this hotel at around 6 or 7 on a ten point scale.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajnaro
My room was perfectly satisfactory, although no upgrade was available because the hotel was hosting three wedding parties.
i've stayed at this property 3 times & each time they were hosting a bunch of wedding parties....
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by saad
i've stayed at this property 3 times & each time they were hosting a bunch of wedding parties....
This hotel really seems not to be a good bet for Platinum SPG members on the weekends!
Old Sep 1, 2010, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajnaro
This hotel really seems not to be a good bet for Platinum SPG members on the weekends!
i agree....
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Think about it. I am trying really hard to be kind! If it was not so late I would have walked even if it cost me one nights stay. Oh well. Not so kind.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Think about it. I am trying really hard to be kind! If it was not so late I would have walked even if it cost me one nights stay. Oh well. Not so kind.
care to elaborate????
Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:10 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Give me a chance to calm down alittle after just being awoken by chirp of smoke detector battery going out. Just the latest.

As a fyi. Great lead on Lady Liberty Shuttle from PHL. When you get to baggage claim go to the transportation desk. They will give you a number and then tell you to call 27 from one of their phones. No this is not a come on. Just a different system. You will then speak directly to LLS who will dispatch a van for pick-up. Stay in the area. Your number will be called when you are to walk-out to get the van. My stop was the last of seven last night. A different but efficient process. The last time I was in PHL was almost 20 years ago. You can tell by the activity things have changed and looking forward to being a tourist today. The only negative- need I say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.