Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Cologne/CGN/Koln, Germany [Master Thread]

Four Points Cologne/CGN/Koln, Germany [Master Thread]

Old Oct 20, 2002, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Arrow Four Points Cologne/CGN/Koln, Germany [Master Thread]

Planning to book a room in Cologne Germany, never been to a Four Points hotel before. Has anyone been in this hotel and what is it like?
Old Oct 21, 2002, 2:29 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
The Four Points COlogne is a converted older hotel (not sure from what though) and located right across from the main train station (on the opposite of the cathedral), so very central to the city center with many places in walking distance. The former hotel was not very nice, but the hotel was completely remodelled some time ago before being rebranded, so I expect it to be rather nice now.

If you need any more detailed info, eMail me as I live near Cologne...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Oct 21, 2002, 8:54 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
I spent a week in this hotel and quite liked it.

It is not the most pretty of locations - the view is the street, then carpark, taxi rank, hot dog stands and side of HauptBahnHof - beyond which is the Cathedral. I was there for work so not that bothered myself.

I am Platinum, so was pleased with the upgrade to a suite, which was basic decoration but large enough and had a kitchen.

The hotel seemed to cater for mostly foreign touring coach parties on the whole - but was fine for me. I didnt use the restaurant at all.

For breakfast - there is an expansive mall under the station - with good snack and coffee bars.

For dinner - quite rightly, the centre of city is not far away, and due to proximity to railway lines - neither are Bonn or Dusseldorf - both worth a visit in the evening for a meal.

All in all, stay here if you are an avid SPG member, but not if you are used to life's luxuries.
Old Mar 15, 2003, 3:14 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Four Points by Sheraton Central Kln / Cologne

Four Points by Sheraton Central Kln / Cologne

+ Platinum welcome gift: water + chocolates
+ upgrade to as suite with three (!) balconies
+ firm, comfortable bed
+ big safe
+ full breakfast buffet
+ next to the main station
+ coffee/tea maker in the room
+ great view from the room
+ complimentary coffee in the lobby
+ minibar free of charge
- bad light on the working desk
- very slow lifts

That's what I booked
1 single bed
standard non-smoking rm buffet breakfast air conditioned dbl glazed windows modem access, standard room with bath, minibar, hair dryer, dataport, trouser press, tea coffe facilities, ind. air condition.

That's what I got
Executive Suite With Large Living Room, Kitchen, Walking CloSet, Bath, Minibar, Hairdryer, Dataport, Ind. Air Condition. Room amenities Suite, Buffet Breakfast, Air Conditioned, Dbl Glazed Windows, Modem Access

My first stay in a German Four Points - and a wonderful experience with super-upgrade, welcome amenity: all has been done automatically. The suite was terrific with three balconies, living room and bed room, 2 TV sets, many armchairs, electronic chimney, fitness equipment in the bathroom, ... In the room was a list with many restauarnt recommendations (Italian, German, Indian, Thai, ...).
The main station and the main attraction of Cologne - the Klner Dom - are just next to the hotel. The location couldn't be better.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 12:52 am

How was the location of this hotel? I'm traveling to Germany in May and Koln will be one of my stops. I plan to use SPG points in the more expensive cities (Munich, Amsterdam, etc.) and I'm not sure if Koln falls into that category.

Also - was that the train station I saw from your balcony shots (the long 1/2 dome in front of the cathedral)?

Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2003, 4:40 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by msp_flier:
How was the location of this hotel? I'm traveling to Germany in May and Koln will be one of my stops. I plan to use SPG points in the more expensive cities (Munich, Amsterdam, etc.) and I'm not sure if Koln falls into that category.

Also - was that the train station I saw from your balcony shots (the long 1/2 dome in front of the cathedral)?

Thanks!
</font>
Yes, you're right: you see the train station (= main station Cologne; the long 1/2 dome in front of the cathedral) from the balcony shots. The first picture (= hotel building) was made from the train station which is just on the opposite side of the street. Therefore the location couldn't be any better. From the main station you have
  • access to the long distance trains (e.g. high speed route to Frankfurt)
  • access to the subway system for Cologne and the cities in the area
  • access to the shuttle bus to CGN airport (if I remember correctly 10EUR)
  • access to the Ryanair-shuttle to Hahn

I wouldn't use points in Cologne and sometimes you can also find good rates in Munich (in Munich there are 4 ArabellaSheratons and 2 Four Points. All 6 hotels (including the ArabellaSheraton Grand) have very often reasonable prices also during the week. There's no need to use points in Munich during the weekend. Only if there are special events like fairs, the prices go up).
Old Jun 9, 2003, 10:58 am

4 Pts Cologne/Koln, Germany [Master Thread]

Just enjoyed a nice stay at the 4 Points in Koln, Germany.

Convenient city center location just outside the north exit of the main train station, which is particularly nice if you arrive by train.

Rate I paid included a substantial buffet style breakfast, and the rooms while small (reminds me of a Japanese business hotel), are fairly well equipped and furnished.

One nice touch is the in room fridge stocked with free soft drinks and bottled water.

Overall, good value for price paid!
Old Apr 18, 2004, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Four Points Cologne

I recently stayed in this Four Points hotel. It was my first experience in a Four Points hotel.
The exterior of the hotel is not very impressive and our expectations were low. The hotel is located just behind the Hauptbahnhof and minutes away from the Cathedral.
We had made reservations for the car, and we could park it for 12 for one day.

I had made reservations for a deluxe room and for a friend a standard room, with a nice view (Cathedral/river).
Check-in was friendly and the interior of the hotel appeared to be fine!

We went up, with a small elevator, to the 5th floor. Public space was fine. When entering our rooms, it appeared we had the same kind of room. The rooms were rather small and our view was the parking place just behind the hotel and facing a white wall. The bathroom was very tiny. No small soaps or what so ever, but just a bottle of soap / shampoo which was placed against the wall. However quality of the room was fine. There was a coffee/tea machine.

It appeared to me that something was wrong since I had made reservations for a deluxe room and we had similar rooms, with no view.

According to the receptionist they had make a mistake, the rooms were deluxe, and since my friend did not have a gold SPG card she should not have this room... I told her I would pay for her room, and since I had the gold card it should be fine.
This receptionist told me I had booked a standard room. I had to correct her, since I booked a deluxe room for my self. After that, she told me the suites were sold out, she could do nothing for me, the rooms with a view facing the station were noisy, etc.
When I told here I had heard from colleagues they did not have any complaints concerning the noise and enjoyed the nice view, she did find a solution. She offered me a Doppel zimmer.

I went up to the 10th floor, and this appeared to be a more spacious room. Indeed with a fine view on the Rhine and, partially the Cathedral.
The bathroom was more spacious, but here also no small bottles with shampoo etc.
There was a nice spacious balcony. Except for the penetrating smell of smoke, I did enjoy this room!
There was no other room for my friend.

The restaurant is not in operations in the evening. We had our dinner in the bar area. Service was friendly and fast. They even made a special asparagus salad for me! Quality of the food was good.
Breakfast buffet was included and it was of a good quality. It was served in the restaurant which was open now.

Personnel was very friendly in this hotel.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay in the Four Points Cologne, but I still do not understand their policy considering the allocation of the rooms.

Last edited by claes059; Apr 18, 2004 at 1:29 pm
Old Apr 18, 2004, 6:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I stayed there a few months ago. As platinum, I was upgraded to a spacious suite. It was spartan, but had a decent sized bathroom and a small kitchen. The view was of the station. Nothing great about it, but no problems, except that smoking is allowed in the hotel. Are there any Starwood properties where smoking is not allowed anywhere in the hotel?
Old Apr 18, 2004, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Nothing great about it, but no problems, except that smoking is allowed in the hotel. Are there any Starwood properties where smoking is not allowed anywhere in the hotel?[/QUOTE]

The hotel does have non-smoking rooms, I booked a non smoking room.
In some Starwoods the restaurant offers non-smoking areas.
That's all I know of @:-) .
Old Apr 18, 2004, 6:49 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I stayed there twice this year.
The first time I had room 518, facing to the street with a nice, but very small desk. The other time I had get room 609, looking to the back. In this room, the bathroom was bigger, but the desk and the tea and coffee facilities were missing.

Bot thime I booked the cheapest room (77,00 EUR / 61,00 EUR) and I think were only upgraded the second time.

The parking is really small and as I had some problems leaving it, I normally park (if it is dry weather) at the other side of the Rhine, near the Hyatt Hotel and walked over the bridge (app. 5-10 min). There, you only have to pay 6,00 EUR / day and could reacht the motorways faster than from Cologne City.

I like the hotel, as it is very central and therefore not expensive. Also you have four free soft drinks and complimentary breakfast. But I have never get a newspaper at this hotel in the morning.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by claes059
Is the 4 Points hotel in Dusseldorf more comfortable than the 4 Points in Cologne?
I would say it is less comfortable. It is in a small street with very bad possibilities to park a car. It is a hotel - if I remember correct - built in the 50's. I have stayed there twice up to now and both time get the same room. This room was to the street and not very loud. The big advantage of the hotel is that you reach Knigsallee in less than three minutes from the hotel.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FLYGVA
I would say it is less comfortable. It is in a small street with very bad possibilities to park a car. It is a hotel - if I remember correct - built in the 50's. I have stayed there twice up to now and both time get the same room. This room was to the street and not very loud. The big advantage of the hotel is that you reach Knigsallee in less than three minutes from the hotel.

Thanks, I will stick to the 4 Points in Cologne. Hope one day there will be a Sheraton/Westin hotel in Cologne that can be compared to the Hyatt!
Old Apr 18, 2004, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Most low- and mid-level hotels -- into which the Four Points chain falls -- in Europe and increasingly elsewhere in the world, are moving to the large mounted squeeze bottles of soap and shampoo. This is part ecological, part economics. Remember that Europeans, and Germans paticularly, are far more advanced than the US in terms of recycling and conservation. [Many products like TVs and appliances have a recycling charge incorporated into their purchase price so they can be disposed of in recycling plants once no longer being used.] Half-used soaps and little bottles of whatever contribute to the waste cycle in significant proportions, so this approach reduces that stream of garbage. As for economics, those same tiny bars of soap and bottles of shampoo, etc. do become a costly element of a hotel's operations, particularly with short stay patrons who tend to leave behind partially-used items that must be replaced for the next guest. If we want low rates, we have to adjust to such methods of cost-efficiency. Otherwise, we pay in the high rates of the Luxury Collection and St. Regis chains, and the main brands of Westin and Sheraton.

As for smoking, this is another side of how Europeans live and do things differently from our side of the Atlantic. There is little in the way of a non-smoking movement over there, and this is quite noticable in public spaces like hotel lobbies and restaurants. I guess we need to see this as one of the charms of visiting such countries and cultures. Remember, as charming as the streets of Paris may be, there is still a lot of dog **** on the sidewalks... We could opt for Ireland, where smoke-free living has just taken a quantum leap forward, or backward, depending upon your point of view.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 10:52 am

Shareholder is quite right; but also the higher brands like Renaissance or ArabellaSheraton in Munich or Davos use the mounted squeeze bottles of soap and shampoo too (so does Renaissance in some new opened hotels too). If I can, I collect the mini shampoos etc for use during sport etc., but it does not matter, if I have a mounted squeeze bottle, as I bring the most time my own shampoo with me.

My bathtube in Cologne was a little bit to short to take a bath .....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.