Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Gaslamp Quarter (was Westin Horton Plaza) San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Gaslamp Quarter (was Westin Horton Plaza) San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
Wow, I was just there and the hotel has some serious problems. Yes, the staff is nice and it seems to end there. Just blocks away are another Westin and the US Grant. The USG is so much nicer is so many ways.

The Horton Plaza is tired, in need to some revamp and when viewed next to the other *wood hotels in the area, is really off it's game. Pass on this place.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 9:09 am
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Originally Posted by UA1kMFR
Wow, I was just there and the hotel has some serious problems. Yes, the staff is nice and it seems to end there. Just blocks away are another Westin and the US Grant. The USG is so much nicer is so many ways.

The Horton Plaza is tired, in need to some revamp and when viewed next to the other *wood hotels in the area, is really off it's game. Pass on this place.
Well, thanks for the comments. I'm going to Comic-Con in July; I'll start off at the Sheraton Suites for my first night, and then be at the US Grant for the remaining three on a Cash & Points stay that I secured last November (first time at the US Grant!). The only thing the Horton Plaza had going for it was it being fairly close to the Convention Center.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Name Change

Westin Horton Plaza San Diego has been renamed to

The Westin Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...and=&links=all
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:17 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
any recent stays. will be in san diego this weekend.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I have always had good (but nothing exemplary) service at this property. As a Plat, I was upgraded to balcony suite the last 2 weeks (once in 1201--small balcony with 2 chairs and side table-- and once to 1101--with big balcony, 2 chaise lounges, chairs and table). Friendly service. Clean rooms. Great location.

Not "great" but good enough to keep me coming back if the rates are good.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:39 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Just spent three nights there and will NEVER go back.

No suite upgrade (can't really complain since none were even available for sale).

My major complaint is that the walls are paper thin. The phone rang in the next room and I thought it was the phone in my room. I could clearly hear the couple in the room on that side talking to each other and didn't have to turn on my TV because I could hear theirs. The woman yelling at her kids on the other side at 06:30 was a delight.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 5:06 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
So, thanks to this thread I'll do one night here and two nights at the W.

I need the stay, or else I would do all three nights at the W.

lala
Old Aug 7, 2008, 3:26 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
One night here was enough. Upgraded to a deluxe room --no suites were for sale, so I didn't even ask.

The room smelled very very musty with a deep long time smell of smoking. It did have a nice view of the water and the windows opened which was a lovely feature.

I wouldn't stay there again, the shower was insipid and the service was just meh.

It was quiet which was also a nice plus.

lala
Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC GLD, MR PLT, SPG PLT, National Exec.
Staying at the Westin Gaslamp this weekend, anyone with recent experiences?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:38 am

I had a one night stay two weeks ago. Given an upgraded room on an SPG floor. Nothing too remarkable about the room. Check in was quick, but I think I hit a quiet moment as a large convention was just coming into town, and the hotel clearly was accommodating some of the 1000's of attendees. I was given a coupon for a discounted drink or a free appetizer, in the bar. It was refreshing to have a room that had an empty mini refrigerator, for storing a few items. It was a quick and cheap ($12) taxi from the hotel to the airport. The Westin down the street does have a free airport shuttle, but for some reason the Gaslamp does not.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: All of them.... mostly United and Starwood
How does this compare to the Westin down the street?

Does anyone have any experience with this hotel recently as well as the one down the street?

This location seems better, but doesn't sound like a great hotel, especially for upgrades for Plats.

Any comments?

I'm struggling to find a lot of recent stuff on either of these two hotels on this board....
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Any updates on this property? Doesn't seem like there has been anything posted in about nine months!

When comparing this property to the other Westin, I am mainly concerned with gym, quietness inside the room, suite upgrades, and any other observations.

Thank you very much.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Silver
anything recent here?

Anybody with recent experience here? Trying to decide whether to stay at this Westin, the Westin San Diego, or the Sheraton Suites.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 3:37 pm

I stayed here last Summer. The room itself is very average westin room that is due for renovation. No separate shower/tub. The service is somewhat mediocre (think of Westin South Coast Plaza/Westin Long Beach level). No Suite upgrade even they show there's availability online. No breakfast coupon for plats either. Long waits for elevators can be a problem in the morning. The only thing I like about this property is in fact it is adjacent to Horton Plaza, thats all.

If you care about free breakfast n club lounge access. I would much prefer Sheraton Suites. In my case, the service was much nicer. If you want to have decent view of San Diego Harbor, then go for Westin San Diego.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:20 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
There is also the US Grant. Haven't seen the rooms, but the physical presence of the common areas is nice and the restaurant is very good.
Originally Posted by anchor79
If you care about free breakfast n club lounge access. I would much prefer Sheraton Suites. In my case, the service was much nicer. If you want to have decent view of San Diego Harbor, then go for Westin San Diego.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.