Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Sand Key Resort, Tampa (Clearwater Beach) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Sand Key Resort, Tampa (Clearwater Beach) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Both cross the bridges connecting Clearwater to Clearwater Beach to Sand Key and pass the Resort. I am not sure of the precise location of the stops.
The Jolly Trolley stops at the actual convention center entrance. The other one stops on Gulf Blvd in front of the hotel, but does not actually pull into the driveway.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Sheraton Sand Key 6/25-6/30

Sheraton Sand Key Resort

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

Sheraton Sand Key Resort

1160 Gulf Blvd Clearwater Beach, FL US 33767

Sheraton Sand Key 6/25-6/30 (0 Photo)

Sheraton Sand Key Resort

Check In

Fast, efficient.  As a gold, I was told that no rooms were available on an SPG floor, and that no upgraded rooms of any kind were available as they were sold out.  We were given a room that matched the description in our reservation - view of parking lot and air conditioning units.  My wife was more upset about this than me, felt like the clerk was blowing me off.  There were a couple of conventions there, and there's of course no way to know who may have been a Plat or not.  I also asked about using points for Club access.  I was told that the Club floor was sold out.  I did explain that I was not asking to be out on the Club floor but was just interested in accessing the Lounge.  Response was that our lounge is "very small" and I can't do that.

Room

As mentioned, room did not have a view, but in fairness, was in line with reservation description.

Service

Staff was generally friendly and helpful, especially in Rusty's.  We have 3 young children and all of the staff there were very patient.  Housekeeping was at times spotty on small things like leaving new glasses.  We called a few times for things like extra towels and service was generally very prompt.

Dining

We ate breakfast at Rusty's a few times.  My main complaint is lack of variety.  There is very little rotation of the menu day to day.  The overall quality of the food is fairly good, but it just got boring.  Also would be nice if they offered omelettes.  The other strange thing is that coffee wasn't included in the price of the buffet.

Location is really very good.  I like that you are away from the hustle and bustle of Clearwater Beach proper.  The negative is that when you actually want to go to Clearwater Beach it can be a little inconvenient.  We tried driving once, but parking was a nightmare.  The Trolley is not really a bad option, and we ended up using it a lot.  However, it is somewhat infrequent (every 30 minutes) so you do have to watch the schedule.  If it ran every 15 minutes, it would really be worry free, just go to a stop and wait a few minutes.  That said, the hotel is on a really nice stretch of beach.

Overall

Overall, it was a very good stay.  This was our second stay here.  If I were to return to Clearwater, this place would be on my short list of options.

Sheraton Sand Key 6/25-6/30

Would you like to write a review on the Sheraton Sand Key Resort?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by LPCJr
Check In Fast, efficient.  As a gold, I was told that no rooms were available on an SPG floor, and that no upgraded rooms of any kind were available as they were sold out.  We were given a room that matched the description in our reservation - view of parking lot and air conditioning units.  My wife was more upset about this than me, felt like the clerk was blowing me off.  There were a couple of conventions there, and there's of course no way to know who may have been a Plat or not.  I also asked about using points for Club access.  I was told that the Club floor was sold out.  I did explain that I was not asking to be out on the Club floor but was just interested in accessing the Lounge.  Response was that our lounge is "very small" and I can't do that. Room As mentioned, room did not have a view, but in fairness, was in line with reservation description. Service Staff was generally friendly and helpful, especially in Rusty's.  We have 3 young children and all of the staff there were very patient.  Housekeeping was at times spotty on small things like leaving new glasses.  We called a few times for things like extra towels and service was generally very prompt. Dining We ate breakfast at Rusty's a few times.  My main complaint is lack of variety.  There is very little rotation of the menu day to day.  The overall quality of the food is fairly good, but it just got boring.  Also would be nice if they offered omelettes.  The other strange thing is that coffee wasn't included in the price of the buffet. Location Location is really very good.  I like that you are away from the hustle and bustle of Clearwater Beach proper.  The negative is that when you actually want to go to Clearwater Beach it can be a little inconvenient.  We tried driving once, but parking was a nightmare.  The Trolley is not really a bad option, and we ended up using it a lot.  However, it is somewhat infrequent (every 30 minutes) so you do have to watch the schedule.  If it ran every 15 minutes, it would really be worry free, just go to a stop and wait a few minutes.  That said, the hotel is on a really nice stretch of beach. Overall Overall, it was a very good stay.  This was our second stay here.  If I were to return to Clearwater, this place would be on my short list of options.
thank you for your review ! we will be there next week. I have an SPG biz card and hope to get in the lounge. I booked on two paid nights ( club lounge) and 5 award nights so again' hoping' that they would keep us in the same room with the club lounge access. We will be traveling with our 7 month boy for the first time. Any other food recommendation spots? our goal of the trip is to just enjoy the beach and relax - no pre planned activities yet.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by jordandawg05
thank you for your review ! we will be there next week. I have an SPG biz card and hope to get in the lounge. I booked on two paid nights ( club lounge) and 5 award nights so again' hoping' that they would keep us in the same room with the club lounge access. We will be traveling with our 7 month boy for the first time. Any other food recommendation spots? our goal of the trip is to just enjoy the beach and relax - no pre planned activities yet.
The Columbia (across the street next to the Marriott) has excellent Spanish/Cuban and is worth it for a "splurge" dinner.

We also enjoy Frenchy's for the grouper. Enjoy your stay!
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by LPCJr
The Columbia (across the street next to the Marriott) has excellent Spanish/Cuban and is worth it for a "splurge" dinner.

We also enjoy Frenchy's for the grouper. Enjoy your stay!

cool will check them out ! thank you
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by jb3t
No major changes...

- Club lounge still excellent. Good breakfast spread, good evening snacks, and free booze. Peggy is still there.

- As for food, my wife and I tend to choose location over food quality... like Frenchys Rock-Away Grill (the one on the water which has good food too) or the Palm Pavilion (also on the water with decent pub food). However, there's many options.

just completed a 7 night stay there.
we had a great time, traveling with a 7 month baby. as stated in many posts, the staff was great and i booked 5 nights on points and 2 paid. The two paid had club lounge access and i was afraid the access will be removed but it wasn't. We stayed on the 8th floor in a king size bed.

The pool as stated was crowded for this size of a hotel. We really had to get up in the morning and 'reserve' a spot which wasn't managed in any way by pool staff. we only did that one morning, the rest of the time we would go late morning or afternoon and you can still find loungers but far from pool which was OK . We tried the poolside cafe few times and in my opinion it was OK , little overpriced but all resorts are like that. We also tried rusty's for their prime rib buffet and that was good. We also liked the grill by the convention center as they had good burgers.

We also enjoyed the club lounge, Peggy who's been there for 18 years was awesome. i've heard about her from this site and the expectation were met. even though the lounge was small the week we visited didn't have tons of people as most people visited the previous week of 7/4th. i thought our timing was good and we enjoyed having a relax atmosphere.

we also used the trolley to visit clearwater, the stop was at the convention center and we enjoyed that for the most part. we only had one hick up one time when the bus didn't stop at the designated area and kept going on our way back to the hotel. 10 dollars for a 3 day pass, or 5 dollar for an all day pass per person.

overall great experience for the value ( points) and couldn't be happier with the service we got.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 5:52 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Any recent experiences? We'll be heading down there the first week in April. I used 2x points to confirm a "suite" upgrade which seems like a good choice given only traditional rooms are currently available for booking.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wonderful Spring Break get-away for a family with kids

Sheraton Sand Key Resort

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

Sheraton Sand Key Resort

1160 Gulf Blvd Clearwater Beach, FL US 33767

Wonderful Spring Break get-away for a family with kids (2 Photos)

Sheraton Sand Key Resort

SPG Platinum, family of four on a points stay.  Was originally booked for 6 nights, but extended to 9 when Delta stranded us in Tampa for 3 extra days.

Booking: Used 2x (100k for 6 nights) points to confirm a suite as it was peak season and we wanted the extra room.  Originally my ambassador indicated there were no suites available, and then a few days later came back and said the hotel had availability.  The hotel was sold out several nights during our stay, so we likely would not have gotten an upgrade if I had relied on suite night awards for the larger room.

Room

We were in two room types, our original booking and then a different room when we needed to extend our stay.

Room 1: We were given room 823, which was the first room on the left as you go down the leg of the “T”.  The “suite” was a studio suite that was twice as large as a normal room.  I knew this going in, although I wish a formal bedroom was available.  All of the suites are on the 8th floor, just below the club lounge and the gym. From this room we had a clear view the Gulf from most angles, although we felt quite exposed as the rooms from the “arm” of the T were quite close by.  The room had two queen beds with a queen(?) sleeper sofa.  Dual sinks, and a decent sized mini fridge.  The sleeper sofa had the linens on the bed, but we had to call down for pillows.  Note that the HDMI ports on the back of the TV are not accessible as it is wall-mounted. IMG_3115.JPG

Room 2: When we had to extend our stay, fortunately the hotel had availability for us. I originally added two nights, thinking we’d move closer to the airport the last night, but then realized that we’d be stuck with nowhere to go mid-day that last day so just stayed put and got up early when it was time home.  We were given room 744, which was also down the leg of the T, but almost to the very end on the right.  No real water view from the room, but from the balcony I could see the channel, a bit of the Gulf, and the Intercoastal.  This room was MUCH smaller.  One sink, smaller fridge, smaller TV, etc.  It also highlighted that certain rooms in the hotel have a balcony that has a decorative wall out on the balcony, preventing a view through the bars of the balcony. 1-IMG_3170.JPG

Service

Service was outstanding for a hotel of this level.  Every single call to Service Express was quickly answered, and they were all followed up with a message confirming that the requested service had been completed.  The one issue, which got to be a running gag, was that they’d only ever leave us three washcloths, but we were a family for four.  We spoke to the housekeeper, the front desk, the house keeping manager, the duty manager, etc., but it took 4 days until they started leaving us enough washcloths.  Of course that reset when we switched rooms…

Dining

• Rusty’s: We had breakfast here most days.  Fresh squeezed orange juice was a treat.  The buffet itself didn’t vary much at all from day to day.  I only noticed three things that changed: pancakes or French toast, a chef’s special of the day (crepes, breakfast pizza, other random things), and pastries (these didn’t vary as much day to day as whatever they brought out when a tray ran low).  Otherwise, it was the usual fruit, eggs, bacon/sausage, oatmeal, cereal, toast, etc.  We did not eat dinner here.
  • Mainstay Tavern: We had a dinner and a lunch here.  Dinner was our first night when we just needed some food; it took three tries and me finally walking up to the bartender to get an accurate beer (our waiter was trying to serve the drinks himself and not succeeding). The food was fine but undistinguished.  The staff was happy to change the TV’s (it’s a sport bar theme) upon request.
  • Island Grill: We had lunch here twice.  Soups, salads, burgers, etc.  There is indoor and outdoor seating; outdoor is next to the driveway.  Good service, many of the other patrons appeared to be hotel staff.  Local police offers also stopped in for lunch.
  • Poolside Café / Turtle Bar: We made one day a pool day and partook of both.  We snagged a table and flagged down a waiter and were in business.  Food was nothing spectacular, but certainly edible; the nachos were a tasty treat.  Service was generally available but not obnoxious; I had previously seen another waiter circulating while holding up a menu, but not yelling, which was appreciated.

Overall

Club lounge: The hotel wasn’t actually selling club rooms for our dates, but I’m guessing since it’s a Sheraton brand standard they had to have one, so just opened it up to Platinum guests and those receiving access through other means.  Upon check-in I received a note indicating that the lounge would be exceptionally busy that week and offered us vouchers for the buffet breakfast in Rusty’s, which was quite appreciated.  We hit the lounge many mornings and evenings, but only two or three times would I consider it to be crowded.  Breakfast was a cold affair, and at night there was generally one hot option.  Also at night were free drinks.  Free beer (bud light, bud, yuengling, heiniken) with mid/low liquor options (they were all name brands, but as an example, Beam was the bourbon).  Good attendants.  The lounge is open during the day to grab water/pop.  Apparently it closes at 9pm each night, although my wife was in there watching a hockey game one night when the kids just really needed the lights off in the room and started a security guard who was doing a sweep about 10:15.

Parking

• Free parking, which was a huge plus.  Only a few times were we able to find a spot in the front lot, so we started parking near the entrance to the conference center.  Same distance walk, but it was indoors rather than out.
  • Not at the hotel, but Clearwater Beach has an app (ParkMobile) to pay for parking; I highly recommend installing it.  There’s a $.35 surcharge over the cash fees to use it, and you have the ability to extend your session up to the maximum allowed at that meter.

Nearby dining:  We managed to avoid going to the same place twice during our original stay, but after we were extended we went back to the same places.  We preferred going South of the hotel and avoiding the crush of Clearwater Beach.  Our favorite was Guppy’s but we also enjoyed Columbia (walkable from the hotel) and Frenchy’s Rockaway; the Gondolier was a quick 5 minute drive when we were in the mood for take-out pizza or Italian food.

Pool

Pool and beach:

• In general there was no issue finding a place to sit.  The chair and tables near the pool often had towels on them by 7:45 or 8:00am. The hotel has posted rules around chairs vacant for more than 45 minutes but I never saw it enforced (on a couple of days it was close to noon before the owners showed up).
  • The beach is a hike from hotel.  With a 4yo looking at the sand it was a 10-15 minute walk.  There was golf cart shuttle service available, but I saw the cart sitting vacant with no driver when we were headed to the beach as often as I saw it in use.
  • There are several beach games: cornhole, beach tennis, volleyball.  Cornhole and beach tennis were fairly busy, but if you were interested you usually didn’t need to wait too long for one to open up.
  • The pool has a bunch of noodles available for use.  One day there weren’t many noodles out but those that were out were in use, so my wife found an attendant and was told that they put them away if it’s too windy, so just ask for them.
Wonderful Spring Break get-away for a family with kids

Would you like to write a review on the Sheraton Sand Key Resort?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
We stayed there for 4 nights this month as well and I can only mirror @CastAStone comments. Its a nice deal for 10k/night. The hotel was completely full for 3 of the 4 nights we stayed there and offering our room type (tennis court view) for 382$/night when I booked on points. I would pay about 150$/night if I had to.

Overall its clearly a resort, and everyone is nice and on island time/attitude. The kids menu has some decently priced options (drinks at 3$, breakfast buffet 6$, prime rib dinner at 9 or 12$ etc), there are plenty of free activities and there is a wii available to use in the bar area.

Did the trolley to Clearwater one evening, but at 20$ for a family of four parking would have been cheaper. We went out on the local trolley, and came back on the island trolley, which stops on the street outside the hotel.

The beach is very nice, sand could be better (in comparison to Clearwater or say Treasure Island) but plenty of shells etc to find and shallow enough to let the kids run around. Cabanas were 25$+tax/day, so we did that only one day. The other days we tried beaches down the road, just 10-15 min south you have a great choice of very quiet beaches that have trees growing across providing shade. So do take a step out to explore.

The pool was bloody crowded due to spring break (not with 15-29yr olds but kids), my kids didn't mind though.

Took a look at the lounge for reference, as others mention its nothing great, breakfast looked meh. Breakfast at Rusty's was cool for the kids as they could gorge on pancakes, scrambled egg, french toast etc. My wife and I went for items off the menu instead, which were of good quality, matched our appetite and aroun 9-12$ (instead of 16$/person at the buffet). On the second day a plat saw us waiting to be seated and gifted us 4 vouchers he got because of the lounge situation. ^
We used those to pay for the kids and once to try out the buffet.

One night we tried the prime rib deal for kids and enjoyed a decent steak with free wine for the adults. One night we used the gold 15$ bar/drink coupon, the one drink we had each was rather strong and made us drunk for the rest of the evening

The little strip mall with the 3-4 eateries across the street is OK, we had an early dinner there one day and felt that the place catered more to the regulars who seem to come there each day from the surrounding buildings.

Really liked the property, the 10k/night is a real nice deal. Discovered the west coast this time and will return some day.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Sadly cannot confirm the positive reviews I see here on that property so far. Currently stay here for the second of five nights, and from what it seems I will not become best friend with this hotel.

Pre-arrival was pretty good as I eMailed the hotel in advance and got some very comforting responses to my requests almost immediately after hitting the send-button so I thought everything was good. Sadly things went south from there...

When we arrived we were upgraded to one of their suites as requested, however the location must be one of the worst of the hotel - right under the fitness-center and the Executive lounge, so each and every step people take on the treadmill transfers to our room starting at 6am (which is not the time I like to wake-up in the morning when on vacation), and in the evening the cleaning-crews in the lounge play musical chairs with the furniture in the lounge making it impossible to sleep before they finish around 11pm. Also this suite faces the roof of the convention center so all the noise from the a/c-units on the roof waver into our room at all times as well and make the use of the balcony impossible.

Generally it seems that freshness of produce is not a top priority for the hotel: While I always think that an arrival gift waiting in the room is a nice gesture of the hotel, gifts that have living parts in them (fruit flies) are not. Also the lounge had several fruits the first evening that were way beyond their usable life, some even sporting a nice cover of mildew. Also the bagels they served in the morning (taken fresh out of the package) were so stale that they must be rejects from the local super market - no way these were fresh in any way. Also as others mentioned the offerings were very sparse - while it formally fulfills the continental breakfast requirements it is really the bare minimum, and not even having any non fat-free yogurt is kind of strange to me...

In terms of the room, for whatever reason part of the room lost power over the first night, and when calling the front desk about this they offered someone to take care of this which obviously was done - just nobody let me know about that so I noticed the completion of this task by accident when my daughter switched on some light previously not working. Worst part about this power problem was that it also shut down the (previously checked and working) refrigerator where I held my daughter's medicine that spoiled due to this - could have also held this in our cooler with some ice over night but since there was a fridge I decided to use it for keeping it cold. Also maintenance leaves to desire as well, several electrical items (lights, vent, USB-outlets) broken in the room and not fixed despite notifying the manager on duty on these.

Obviously the hotel resorted to the reflexatory response in offering a different room, but the one we sampled was just dark like a cove (despite having "Ocean View") because of the tiny windows added by inadequate lighting and stunk from a combination of cold cigarette smoke (despite being a non-smoking property) and mold. Asking about the light-situation I was told "all rooms are like this, the hotel is 45 years old"...something that shows on every corner of the hotel.

Also the pool is really just a hole in the ground, and the direct access to the beach is the only thing I really like about it. All in all it fully pales to the Marriott across the street where I have my son staying - they have sparking, functioning rooms (freshly renovated), are all-suite, offer restaurant breakfast to Elite members ($5 upcharge for the full buffet that I think is reasonable), have a LOT nicer pool area and are in general a lot more personal when interacting with guests...I certainly know where I stay the next time.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Hello, am considering the Sheraton Sank Key vs Marriott Suites for a trip with kids in February. Does the Sheraton offer any benefits for lowly Golds or am I better off booking in my wife's name (no status) to lock in Club Lounge access with her SPG Biz Amex? Any comparison on the two properties would be appreciated - I like the all-suite rooms and free breakfast at the Marriott but I understand the Sheraton is closer to the beach. Thanks
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

No gold benefits at this property except for the usual drink voucher and 4pm checkout, I'm afraid... MR Gold benefits are far better.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
No gold benefits at this property except for the usual drink voucher and 4pm checkout, I'm afraid... MR Gold benefits are far better.
Thank you! The Marriott seems to have a better pool too.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by frmnj
I like the all-suite rooms and free breakfast at the Marriott but I understand the Sheraton is closer to the beach. Thanks
While the beach starts right at the end of the pool-area of the Sheraton (so you can't get closer than this), the distance from the Marriott is not really something to complain about. It's about a five minute's walk from the hotel entrance to the sand, and they also offer a shuttle there in case you do not want to walk. When we get back there the Marriott is certainly will be our choice after staying at both hotels...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:55 am

The beach may start at the pool area in the Sheraton, the hike to the actual beach (where the water is) is about 5 mins too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.