FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1683445-st-regis-maldives-vommuli-resort-master-thread.html)

outlawashere Sep 16, 2022 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by jsimon926 (Post 34605854)
Do you realize what kind of public backlash this resort and corporate Marriott would get if they slapped at $40k bill on travelers who sat next to someone on a plane who had covid. Do you have any real data points or are you basing it all on technicalities?

If you ultimately are a close contact with someone of no fault of your own, I'm sure the resort would negotiate a reasonable rate for you to quarantine. They will not tell you that rate in advance though because then that rate becomes the standard.

I guess the resort will say that is the risk that you take on visiting during a pandemic. All the rules are public information and the rates were given in advance.

Clearly Im in the minority here worrying about the financial risks but i think a lot of people just simply never thought about it?

No datapoint that i know of, but there is always a chance of becoming a datapoint.

joecool1885 Sep 16, 2022 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by outlawashere (Post 34606379)

No datapoint that i know of, but there is always a chance of becoming a datapoint.

So you're worried that you'll be the first person during this 2+ year long pandemic to be charged 40K for quarantine (during a time in which cases are on the lower end)? Or do you think this is likely enough to be worried about, but unlikely enough that nobody here went through it.

Lots of people posted in this and other forums with similar worries, so it has been frequently thought about. But there's nobody who shared a story about coming out the other end of a trip in financial despair.

Spaulding70 Sep 17, 2022 7:33 am

Concern

I guess the resort will say that is the risk that you take on visiting during a pandemic. All the rules are public information and the rates were given in advance.

Clearly Im in the minority here worrying about the financial risks but i think a lot of people just simply never thought about it?

While I can't say I am concerned about our upcoming trip I do understand your concerns based on a recent cruise we took. A couple of months ago we took a cruise around Greenland and a few of the passengers became ill after boarding and were confined to cabins for most if not all of the trip. We were tested before boarding and I presume anyone who tested positive and was not allowed on board was able to recover their expenses if they had trip insurance. We were told those who became ill once on the ship were not covered under the terms of the travel insurance plans they had purchased. In our case we declined travel insurance and had no problem but had we tested positive prior to boarding we would have been out over 35 thousand dollars.

outgoing Sep 17, 2022 8:24 pm

Based on our yesterday's experience I concur with prior reviews that the sunset fishing is a lot of fun! It's going to set you back USD 300 per couple but staff that takes care of you also helps with fishing while the views are lovely. We were 3 couples on a boat yesterday and everyone caught at least two fish per villa. You can then mark how you want them done by the chef and eat either at Alba or at your villa. What I'd recommend - and this is the option we did - is talk to your butler to ask the chef to do it Maldivian style. No matter how you have it prepared the cost is USD 50 per person. We ate at Alba the same night we fished - you have to wait about an hour since you dock - and we got three lovely dishes: soup, curry, and grilled fish. Both soup and curry were amazing - actually the best dinner we've had so far - and the soup was actually much better than the soups which you can get a la cate which we had a day before.

friedablass Sep 18, 2022 10:21 pm

...visiting during a pandemic....

Maybe OT, but didn't President Biden announce on 60 minutes that the pandemic is over? At least I thought I heard him say that.

In either case, I think you're over-thinking this whole thing. The most we did was get travel insurance that covered both travel and medical expenses included coverage for COVID. And then we forgot it all and just enjoyed an amazing vacation to the most amazing place on earth.

nexusCFX Sep 18, 2022 10:29 pm

Visiting here Oct 22 - 31 with a friend who has not been to Maldives before. Booked OWV for $507/nt about a year back when they loaded some very interesting rates.

Unfortunate that the new restaurant won't be open by then; just barely missing it. Hoping weather is good. I have been to Maldives in the dry season and the wet season and I've somehow gotten very lucky with the weather every time.

If anyone here is going around the same time and needs additional people for activities, feel free to reach out.

flayum Sep 19, 2022 10:18 am

Inquired about one of the beachside private dinners and was sent a few useful links for food and activities, if anyone is interested.

Was also deciding between the Vommuli Magic and Starlight Dinner. According to the brochure, it looked like the Starlight dinner was within sight of the Whale Bar, but the response sounds like the exact location is dynamic, but always private regardless. Does anyone know the actual functional differences between the two, beyond the food? The brochure also showed a slightly difference setup, but not sure if that ends up actually being different.

Please be advised that the private dinner experiences will be setup on the most private beach locations (usually in front of the reception beach). Additionally, the location is dependent on the weather conditions as we would like to ensure that you have a seamless experience in favorable conditions. Sunset will not be visible should the setup be arranged on the reception beach however during sunset hours the sky will be a beautiful golden glow complemented by the exquisite setup of the Private Dining Experience.
Also, perhaps a niche question: has anyone had experience importing a specific bottle of wine through the StR? My partner has very specific taste and I wanted to have something on-hand for the above dinner, but the StR unfortunately doesn't have anything that would work (except a $600+ bottle of tokaji aszú). The concierge I spoke to said they could look into importing something, but I'm not sure how that would compare in price. Any advice would be appreciated!

najama2 Sep 19, 2022 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by flayum (Post 34612946)
Inquired about one of the beachside private dinners and was sent a few useful links for food and activities, if anyone is interested.

Was also deciding between the Vommuli Magic and Starlight Dinner. According to the brochure, it looked like the Starlight dinner was within sight of the Whale Bar, but the response sounds like the exact location is dynamic, but always private regardless. Does anyone know the actual functional differences between the two, beyond the food? The brochure also showed a slightly difference setup, but not sure if that ends up actually being different.

Also, perhaps a niche question: has anyone had experience importing a specific bottle of wine through the StR? My partner has very specific taste and I wanted to have something on-hand for the above dinner, but the StR unfortunately doesn't have anything that would work (except a $600+ bottle of tokaji aszú). The concierge I spoke to said they could look into importing something, but I'm not sure how that would compare in price. Any advice would be appreciated!

Maldives is a Muslim country with strict no alcohol laws (outside of resort islands). It will be thrown out at the airport so just save yourself the $$$.

outgoing Sep 19, 2022 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by najama2 (Post 34614052)
Maldives is a Muslim country with strict no alcohol laws (outside of resort islands). It will be thrown out at the airport so just save yourself the $$$.

Yup, and they do x-ray your luggage so don't even try importing yourself. You could, in principle, import though a special company which is probably the same company that St Regis and other resorts use but the cost of it I'd imagine would be astronomical; probably higher than the 600 bottle of Tokaji. I'd say St. Regis has some of the more expansive wine collection I've seen in a resort and I'm sure that between wines for 60 bucks and wines for 15000 bucks you should be able to find something for your partner.

friedablass Sep 19, 2022 8:41 pm

I haven't tried it, but i did read several times that you can store alcohol at the airport and pick it back up on your way out.

flayum Sep 19, 2022 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by outgoing (Post 34614103)
You could, in principle, import though a special company which is probably the same company that St Regis and other resorts use but the cost of it I'd imagine would be astronomical; probably higher than the 600 bottle of Tokaji. I'd say St. Regis has some of the more expansive wine collection I've seen in a resort and I'm sure that between wines for 60 bucks and wines for 15000 bucks you should be able to find something for your partner.

Ah, sorry, I think I was unclear in my post! I was actually considering alternatives and considered 'officially' importing a bottle through the StR like Outgoing suggested. To my surprise, this was actually something the the StR suggested before I could ask:

Moreover, we do not have any ice dessert wines in our wine list. Kindly find the attached wine list for your perusal. You may advise us the name of the preferred dessert ice wine and allow us to check the possibilities of procuring a bottle and the associated charges for your stay with us.
The 'astronomical' guess is definitely something I feared... I guess it doesn't hurt to get a quote though? Perhaps suggesting something unique might pique their interest enough to offset the import costs ("the only ice wine in the entirety of the Indian Ocean!"). I did look through the available wine list (sent a pdf by email - happy to forward to anyone interested) and didn't see much that I think would work, so I might have to secretly purchase the closest hits and get her input. To avoid the thread veering too off-topic, happy to discuss over PM if anyone is knowledgeable about high sugar wines (I recognize a few Sauternes and an $800 Tokaji Aszu, but not much else).

anyaneva Sep 20, 2022 12:13 am

Did you ask for an upgrade before arriving on property? Or did they only offer when you had arrived? We are Gold status arriving on Oct 1 and have a regular OWV, but would really love to get a Sunset OWV. Any tips?

Dn10 Sep 20, 2022 8:22 am

Originally Posted by friedablass (Post 34611726)
Maybe OT, but didn't President Biden announce on 60 minutes that the pandemic is over? At least I thought I heard him say that.

In either case, I think you're over-thinking this whole thing. The most we did was get travel insurance that covered both travel and medical expenses included coverage for COVID. And then we forgot it all and just enjoyed an amazing vacation to the most amazing place on earth.

Biden doesn't control if the Maldives consider this a pandemic or not...

Dn10 Sep 20, 2022 8:24 am

Originally Posted by anyaneva (Post 34614422)
Did you ask for an upgrade before arriving on property? Or did they only offer when you had arrived? We are Gold status arriving on Oct 1 and have a regular OWV, but would really love to get a Sunset OWV. Any tips?

DPs will vary, but in busy season they don't normally give upgrades out for free, especially to Golds. They'll usually offer some cash upgrade options but even over the past few months they've been stingy on those as they're trying to sell the more premium rooms at full price.

Dn10 Sep 20, 2022 8:25 am

Anyone have the manager's email (is it Vincent?) - the normal email has taken a couple days to respond and have called and that team hasn't been super helpful other than saying they'll respond soon.