FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1683445-st-regis-maldives-vommuli-resort-master-thread.html)

eulerphi8 Nov 18, 16 12:43 am

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]
 
Here right now. Service is top notch, property is gorgeous. Some construction still ongoing but nothing that will disturb the guests. Yes the Jacob Astor Suite is one of the ones still under construction so it not bookable yet


MODERATOR NOTE: For the pre-opening posts on this property, please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-archived.html

tshep Nov 18, 16 1:05 am

How's the house reef, compared to some others like PH Hadahaa or Conrad?

beastieb Nov 18, 16 11:16 am


Originally Posted by eulerphi8 (Post 27496172)
Here right now. Service is top notch, property is gorgeous. Some construction still ongoing but nothing that will disturb the guests. Yes the Jacob Astor Suite is one of the ones still under construction so it not bookable yet

That's great. Would love some more details when you have time.

Enjoy!

some dude Nov 18, 16 12:47 pm


Originally Posted by eulerphi8 (Post 27496172)
Here right now. Service is top notch, property is gorgeous. Some construction still ongoing but nothing that will disturb the guests. Yes the Jacob Astor Suite is one of the ones still under construction so it not bookable yet

I think many people here would love to read your trip review :)

tylerc Nov 18, 16 7:06 pm


Originally Posted by eulerphi8 (Post 27496172)
Here right now. Service is top notch, property is gorgeous. Some construction still ongoing but nothing that will disturb the guests. Yes the Jacob Astor Suite is one of the ones still under construction so it not bookable yet

Oooooh...ok, I'm there in 2 weeks - any recommendations on which OWB to request? I'm looking for privacy but also great views, and some sand vs. coral to step into.

Pseudo Nim Nov 18, 16 7:07 pm


Originally Posted by tylerc (Post 27499723)
Oooooh...ok, I'm there in 2 weeks - any recommendations on which OWB to request? I'm looking for privacy but also great views, and some sand vs. coral to step into.

I think you want the St Regis suite. :D

tylerc Nov 18, 16 7:13 pm


Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 27499729)
I think you want the St Regis suite. :D

That sounds about right! Can you arrange it for me?

eulerphi8 Nov 18, 16 7:19 pm

Just some quick thoughts (always feel free to ask specific questions I can try to answer and I can post something longer when I get back).

1. Butler service really is meant to take care of all your needs. All of the staff have had previous experience, many from the Four Seasons or W Maldives. They really emphasize that this is the meant to be the best resort at the Maldives.

2. Service starts immediately as you land in MLE. You get picked up by a SUV and taken to your own lounge to wait for your seaplane. They're using a temporary lounge right now but will have their regular one up and running by the end of the month. Once that's up you can wine and dine in the lounge from meals packed from the resort.

3. Most of all rooms are GORGEOUS and large. Everything state of the art, iPad controls the lights, curtains, AC, etc.. It really is as nice if not nicer than the photos that you see. Bang and Olufsen TV, a TV in the mirror of the bathtub, etc.

4. Don't worry about getting enough water. You'll get plenty of it and I can't imagine you can't get more if you want. It's not a place that is going to nickel-and-dime you.

5. Restaurants are pricey but the food is quite good. Food quality and service at Alba I would say are at or near Michelin-quality. Breakfast is $55 + service charge + tax for non-Plat members. All inclusive, a la carte and buffet. Extensive spread including their signature lobster + caviar omelette.

6. Resort is at 30% capacity right, ~70% of the people are American tourists. Expect both numbers to change in the upcoming months but SPG branding is strong.

7. House reef is recovering from construction--very little color and some dead areas :(. I don't know how it compares to the other resorts in the Maldives but having dove in other places, the house reef is not very healthy right now. Fish population is quite good--you'll see sharks, turtles, tuna, rays, etc. and they say the coral is recovering. You can take a boat out to other places that will be better. The dive and sports center is top notch and since they're not at full capacity right now you'll get very individualized attention.

8. If you love the Maldives and have a trip booked here, don't worry and be very excited. There are always going to be logistical challenges or some thing that will pop up during your stay but know that they'll do everything they can for the guests. I think it'll only get better as time goes on although it's so nice right now being in such a private location with not that many other guests here.

eulerphi8 Nov 18, 16 7:30 pm


Originally Posted by tylerc (Post 27499723)
Oooooh...ok, I'm there in 2 weeks - any recommendations on which OWB to request? I'm looking for privacy but also great views, and some sand vs. coral to step into.

The outer facing OWB are all build in a way that you won't be able to see anyone unless there's a boat passing through. Sunset views are gorgeous--haven't checked out the reef underneath to tell you if there's a particularly good spot but most of the snorkeling you'll probably be doing away from your OWB anyway.

Pseudo Nim Nov 18, 16 7:32 pm


Originally Posted by eulerphi8 (Post 27499811)
The outer facing OWB are all build in a way that you won't be able to see anyone unless there's a boat passing through. Sunset views are gorgeous--haven't checked out the reef underneath to tell you if there's a particularly good spot but most of the snorkeling you'll probably be doing away from your OWB anyway.

Thanks for the writeup. Not that it matters (not like I'd cancel my trip over it, despite it being one of the main draws), but I'm curious - is there _anywhere_ you can snorkel to see the typical coral fishes anywhere around the island, or do you literally have to boat out? (kayak?) Since there are no neighbouring islands, I'm curious how that would work - I'm not excited to spend $400 per day hiring a boat to go snorkeling :)

DaveInLA Nov 18, 16 9:08 pm

I currently have 5 nights at Conrad booked, now I'm wondering if I should book here instead. 130k SPG plus upgrade fees (to OWV) similar to Conrad. But I am HH Diamond, the the $110++/day fees will add up. Anybody been to both? I have a Superior WV booked at Conrad.

Pseudo Nim Nov 18, 16 9:41 pm


Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 27500068)
I currently have 5 nights at Conrad booked, now I'm wondering if I should book here instead. 130k SPG plus upgrade fees (to OWV) similar to Conrad. But I am HH Diamond, the the $110++/day fees will add up. Anybody been to both? I have a Superior WV booked at Conrad.

You need to consider the cost of a time machine to book this place though, and I couldn't find one in stock at Amazon - so it might end up being far more expensive than the Conrad. I'd keep it.

Ants1 Nov 18, 16 9:56 pm


Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 27500141)
You need to consider the cost of a time machine to book this place though, and I couldn't find one in stock at Amazon - so it might end up being far more expensive than the Conrad. I'd keep it.

Lol. I'm just excited to hear about there being plenty of water. Now I don't have to bring powder ;)

Pseudo Nim Nov 18, 16 10:04 pm


Originally Posted by Ants1 (Post 27500181)
Lol. I'm just excited to hear about there being plenty of water. Now I don't have to bring powder ;)

At least water powder. You can still bring powdered vodka if you'd like :D

DaveInLA Nov 18, 16 10:51 pm


Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 27500141)
You need to consider the cost of a time machine to book this place though, and I couldn't find one in stock at Amazon - so it might end up being far more expensive than the Conrad. I'd keep it.

My understanding is that it's still possible to book a Garden villa for 5 nights using 130k SPG, then upgrade to OWV for about $500/nt

Pseudo Nim Nov 18, 16 11:44 pm


Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 27500297)
My understanding is that it's still possible to book a Garden villa for 5 nights using 130k SPG, then upgrade to OWV for about $500/nt

I'll eat my words if that is true, but I thought all rooms have been "fixed" to the new, exorbitant prices?

eulerphi8 Nov 19, 16 12:10 am


Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 27499816)
Thanks for the writeup. Not that it matters (not like I'd cancel my trip over it, despite it being one of the main draws), but I'm curious - is there _anywhere_ you can snorkel to see the typical coral fishes anywhere around the island, or do you literally have to boat out? (kayak?) Since there are no neighbouring islands, I'm curious how that would work - I'm not excited to spend $400 per day hiring a boat to go snorkeling :)

Fish population is quite good actually. You'll see your typical clown fish, moorish idol, angelfish, eels, rays, turtles, etc., so there will be plenty of fish near the resort. Just the coral itself has been disturbed by the construction and the bleaching that's affected all of the Maldives. There are morning snorkeling expeditions on boat that's ~$80/person.

rooivalk Nov 19, 16 3:01 am

I have stay here booked for 5 nights from 29th Jan that I won't be able to use... such a waste as well since it was on the mistake rate :(

tylerc Nov 19, 16 5:39 am


Originally Posted by rooivalk (Post 27500688)
I have stay here booked for 5 nights from 29th Jan that I won't be able to use... such a waste as well since it was on the mistake rate :(

Is it possible to put another guest's name? I'm sure someone would prefer this to sourcing a flux capacitor.

And for those wondering...

http://www.palcohol.com

MaldivesFreak Nov 19, 16 9:39 am


Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 27500068)
I currently have 5 nights at Conrad booked, now I'm wondering if I should book here instead. 130k SPG plus upgrade fees (to OWV) similar to Conrad. But I am HH Diamond, the the $110++/day fees will add up. Anybody been to both? I have a Superior WV booked at Conrad.

AFAICR you've already been to Rangali, is that right? If not, and if you are keen on a big and very private resort (SWVs are great OWVs and Rangali Island is very private) with much more choice of eateries and way better snorkelling then keep your CR booking. Oh, and there's the price.....

MaldivesFreak Nov 19, 16 9:45 am


Originally Posted by rooivalk (Post 27500688)
I have stay here booked for 5 nights from 29th Jan that I won't be able to use... such a waste as well since it was on the mistake rate :(

Fling me a PM if you're interested in selling it. ;)

3rdworldresident Nov 19, 16 12:18 pm

Guys,

How many points did you pay for 5 nights here in a lowest category suite/villa?

LovetoTravel83 Nov 19, 16 1:23 pm


Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident (Post 27502104)
Guys,

How many points did you pay for 5 nights here in a lowest category suite/villa?

Garden Villa was for 126K, Overwater Villa was for 130K.

DaveInLA Nov 19, 16 1:43 pm


Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak (Post 27501593)
AFAICR you've already been to Rangali, is that right? If not, and if you are keen on a big and very private resort (SWVs are great OWVs and Rangali Island is very private) with much more choice of eateries and way better snorkelling then keep your CR booking. Oh, and there's the price.....

No, I've never been to CR but I have 5 nights booked in February. I didn't realize Conrad hasn't more food choices and better snorkeling.

Land-of-Miles Nov 19, 16 5:44 pm


Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 27502367)
No, I've never been to CR but I have 5 nights booked in February. I didn't realize Conrad hasn't more food choices and better snorkeling.

Rangali is just the perfect resort if you can afford the cost. Overall best hotel I have ever been to on holiday.

kkl Nov 19, 16 6:09 pm

The 130k deal is long gonE. It's 360 for 5 nights iirc

MaldivesFreak Nov 19, 16 8:51 pm


Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 27502367)
No, I've never been to CR but I have 5 nights booked in February. I didn't realize Conrad hasn't more food choices and better snorkeling.

I think you misunderstood me. Rangali does have more food choices and better snorkelling.

MaldivesFreak Nov 19, 16 9:01 pm

Quick question. HHonors is almost the same with 5 nights for 380K. Would I be correct in assuming that Starwood points are not anywhere near as easy to earn as HH points?

Pseudo Nim Nov 19, 16 9:07 pm


Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak (Post 27503603)
Quick question. HHonors is almost the same with 5 nights for 380K. Would I be correct in assuming that Starwood points are not anywhere near as easy to earn as HH points?

That would be correct. As a really simple example - the Hilton credit cards can earn as much as 12X per point at Hilton properties - SPG is only 2x (excluding elite bonuses etc). Earning the card itself is also at least 2X with Hilton, but 1X with the SPG card. Etc, etc. - so 380K SPG is actually an almost-unattainable amount (excluding manufactured spending and so on, obviously).

MaldivesFreak Nov 19, 16 10:16 pm

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't live in the US so am unable to get a HH CC so have to earn points the hard way.

What about earning SPG points (w/o a SPG CC) at a property such as this? For example I can stay at Rangali in low season in a BV for 7 nights on a paid stay and pretty much spend enough in total to get me a free night at the base rate for any of their top-tier properties (95K). If I was to aim for the 76K/night rate (5th Night Free) then my spend wouldn't even have to go over say $500/day base.
If I stayed at this property in low season in an entry-level room for the same amount of time and spent say $4000-$5000 base for F&B, spas etc, roughly how many nights, or portions of a night, would I get if there were no point promos and I was a new member? TIA.

spellbound2 Nov 19, 16 10:20 pm


Originally Posted by eulerphi8 (Post 27499775)
Just some quick thoughts (always feel free to ask specific questions I can try to answer and I can post something longer when I get back).

1. Butler service really is meant to take care of all your needs. All of the staff have had previous experience, many from the Four Seasons or W Maldives. They really emphasize that this is the meant to be the best resort at the Maldives.

2. Service starts immediately as you land in MLE. You get picked up by a SUV and taken to your own lounge to wait for your seaplane. They're using a temporary lounge right now but will have their regular one up and running by the end of the month. Once that's up you can wine and dine in the lounge from meals packed from the resort.

3. Most of all rooms are GORGEOUS and large. Everything state of the art, iPad controls the lights, curtains, AC, etc.. It really is as nice if not nicer than the photos that you see. Bang and Olufsen TV, a TV in the mirror of the bathtub, etc.

4. Don't worry about getting enough water. You'll get plenty of it and I can't imagine you can't get more if you want. It's not a place that is going to nickel-and-dime you.

5. Restaurants are pricey but the food is quite good. Food quality and service at Alba I would say are at or near Michelin-quality. Breakfast is $55 + service charge + tax for non-Plat members. All inclusive, a la carte and buffet. Extensive spread including their signature lobster + caviar omelette.

6. Resort is at 30% capacity right, ~70% of the people are American tourists. Expect both numbers to change in the upcoming months but SPG branding is strong.

7. House reef is recovering from construction--very little color and some dead areas :(. I don't know how it compares to the other resorts in the Maldives but having dove in other places, the house reef is not very healthy right now. Fish population is quite good--you'll see sharks, turtles, tuna, rays, etc. and they say the coral is recovering. You can take a boat out to other places that will be better. The dive and sports center is top notch and since they're not at full capacity right now you'll get very individualized attention.

8. If you love the Maldives and have a trip booked here, don't worry and be very excited. There are always going to be logistical challenges or some thing that will pop up during your stay but know that they'll do everything they can for the guests. I think it'll only get better as time goes on although it's so nice right now being in such a private location with not that many other guests here.

Thanks for this update. :) We're very excited to be going in February to this resort and another new one that just opened, Milaidhoo, a sister property to one we visited last year, Baros. We loved Baros and Conrad Maldives but it's nice to try new ones. Have a fantastic vacation! :cool:

Pseudo Nim Nov 19, 16 10:27 pm


Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak (Post 27503784)
Thanks. Unfortunately I don't live in the US so am unable to get a HH CC so have to earn points the hard way.

What about earning SPG points (w/o a SPG CC) at a property such as this? For example I can stay at Rangali in low season in a BV for 7 nights on a paid stay and pretty much spend enough in total to get me a free night at the base rate for any of their top-tier properties (95K). If I was to aim for the 76K/night rate (5th Night Free) then my spend wouldn't even have to go over say $500/day base.
If I stayed at this property in low season in an entry-level room for the same amount of time and spent say $4000-$5000 base for F&B, spas etc, roughly how many nights, or portions of a night, would I get if there were no point promos and I was a new member? TIA.

You're saying if you did 5 nights on a paid rate? I'll start by pointing out the obvious and say that if you can afford a fully paid stay at a property like this, I don't think the amount of points gained should even concern you, as it's basically just a curiosity at that point, but let me humour you regardless :)

Assuming $2K per night x 5 nights + $5K spend = $15K, which is at least 15K SPG. That by itself is barely sufficient for a single night in an average $300-400 category hotel. If you can get one of the Starwood SPG cards which are generally available in most markets worldwide (not sure where you're based) then you could get SPG Gold (2x points) and the card gets you 2x spend at SPG, which would be a much more respectable 60K SPG gained, which is two nights at their top category 7 properties, or two thirds of a night at this property here.

DaveInLA Nov 20, 16 1:51 am


Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak (Post 27503566)
I think you misunderstood me. Rangali does have more food choices and better snorkelling.

No, I understood you. I was typing on my phone and didn't spell-check.

gojko88 Nov 20, 16 3:44 am


Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 27503804)
If you can get one of the Starwood SPG cards which are generally available in most markets worldwide

I wish this statement was true *sigh* Alas, it's only available in five countries so far.

some dude Nov 20, 16 12:25 pm


Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak (Post 27503566)
I think you misunderstood me. Rangali does have more food choices and better snorkelling.

Curious, since you are spending much time in this thread, there seems to be some reason why this property is interesting to you even though as you put it the Conrad has more food choices / better snorkeling.

Why is this property interesting to you? Just because it is new and in Maldives? Are you actually planning to visit this resort, or just following the thread?


I'll just say that I have been to the Conrad, and it was a fantastic resort -- as you said, there were many food choices, lots of activities available, and the snorkeling was fantastic.

Because of Coral Bleaching, most resorts in the Maldives will have snorkeling worse this year than it was just 1-2 years ago, so I'm not sure if it's fair to say that 'Conrad has better snorkeling than St Regis', it is certainly true that Conrad 2 years ago would be better than St Regis today, but that isn't necessarily a fair comparison to Conrad vs St Regis at the same time in 1 year.

I am personally going to visit the St Regis Maldives in a few weeks. My wife and I had talked about returning to the Maldives earlier this year, and were planning on going back to the Conrad -- but given the announcement of this brand new resort opening up around when we were going anyway, and the special points rate initially offered -- we were swayed here instead.

Just by looking at the menus, there are clearly some hints that this is intended as a much more high-end resort.

MaldivesFreak Nov 20, 16 10:37 pm


Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 27503804)
You're saying if you did 5 nights on a paid rate? I'll start by pointing out the obvious and say that if you can afford a fully paid stay at a property like this, I don't think the amount of points gained should even concern you, as it's basically just a curiosity at that point, but let me humour you regardless :)

Assuming $2K per night x 5 nights + $5K spend = $15K, which is at least 15K SPG. That by itself is barely sufficient for a single night in an average $300-400 category hotel. If you can get one of the Starwood SPG cards which are generally available in most markets worldwide (not sure where you're based) then you could get SPG Gold (2x points) and the card gets you 2x spend at SPG, which would be a much more respectable 60K SPG gained, which is two nights at their top category 7 properties, or two thirds of a night at this property here.

Thanks for the detailed response. As you can probably see I have little knowledge of Starwood, their properties and its reward programme. Always good to know what your money gets you and how it compares to other programmes though, regardless of how much you end up spending.



Originally Posted by some dude (Post 27505724)
Curious, since you are spending much time in this thread, there seems to be some reason why this property is interesting to you even though as you put it the Conrad has more food choices / better snorkeling.

Why is this property interesting to you? Just because it is new and in Maldives? Are you actually planning to visit this resort, or just following the thread?

TBPH that almost sounds like a mini-interrogation, and that I should give a valid answer, and one which could easily be seen as contrived, in order to keep further posts I make in this thread 'legitimate'. This is a discussion on a travel forum and my forum nick speaks for itself..... ;)

eulerphi8 Nov 20, 16 11:08 pm


Originally Posted by spellbound2 (Post 27503793)
Thanks for this update. :) We're very excited to be going in February to this resort and another new one that just opened, Milaidhoo, a sister property to one we visited last year, Baros. We loved Baros and Conrad Maldives but it's nice to try new ones. Have a fantastic vacation! :cool:

Thank you! How many nights are you staying at each resort and how are you hopping from one to another? Just wondering what the logistics are if we come back to the Maldives.

For snorkeling around the property, stay around the edge of the reef and there's still plenty of fish and some coral. There are a number of snorkeling and dive sites very close that's easily accessible by boat (probably not by kayak). About 15-20 minute boat rides should bring you to a few of the locations that you can see on Google maps such as the one by aaaVeee.

yosithezet Nov 21, 16 10:40 pm


Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 27503804)
You're saying if you did 5 nights on a paid rate? I'll start by pointing out the obvious and say that if you can afford a fully paid stay at a property like this, I don't think the amount of points gained should even concern you, as it's basically just a curiosity at that point, but let me humour you regardless :)

Assuming $2K per night x 5 nights + $5K spend = $15K, which is at least 15K SPG. That by itself is barely sufficient for a single night in an average $300-400 category hotel. If you can get one of the Starwood SPG cards which are generally available in most markets worldwide (not sure where you're based) then you could get SPG Gold (2x points) and the card gets you 2x spend at SPG, which would be a much more respectable 60K SPG gained, which is two nights at their top category 7 properties, or two thirds of a night at this property here.

Your math breakdown is off by my account.

$2K/night + $5K spend = $15K
Base members of SPG earn 2 points per dollar = 30K points
Elite members earn an extra 1 point per dollar = 15K points
SPG Amex gives you 1 point per dollar spend = 15K points
SPG Amex gives you 1 extra point per dollar when spent in an SPG property = 15K points

So at minimum, they will get 30K points with the option to be arming an addition 45K depending on the other factors.

Pseudo Nim Nov 21, 16 10:55 pm


Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 27512028)
Your math breakdown is off by my account.

$2K/night + $5K spend = $15K
Base members of SPG earn 2 points per dollar = 30K points
Elite members earn an extra 1 point per dollar = 15K points
SPG Amex gives you 1 point per dollar spend = 15K points
SPG Amex gives you 1 extra point per dollar when spent in an SPG property = 15K points

So at minimum, they will get 30K points with the option to be arming an addition 45K depending on the other factors.

Sorry: my base level earning was quite off, you're right. I forgot you get 2X even as a base member. So to revise my math (really, just up the numbers by 15K):

- Just member: 30K points, which is enough for a single night at the top category 7, or a bit more elsewhere
- SPG Amex: grant Gold status (except the Canadian ones), so +1 point, which means 45K total
- SPG Amex: 2X per dollar spent, so another 30K on top, which is 75K.

This is enough for 2 nights at a category 7 property and a night at some airport somewhere, or almost one night at this StR.

spellbound2 Nov 21, 16 11:15 pm


Originally Posted by eulerphi8 (Post 27507642)
Thank you! How many nights are you staying at each resort and how are you hopping from one to another? Just wondering what the logistics are if we come back to the Maldives.

For snorkeling around the property, stay around the edge of the reef and there's still plenty of fish and some coral. There are a number of snorkeling and dive sites very close that's easily accessible by boat (probably not by kayak). About 15-20 minute boat rides should bring you to a few of the locations that you can see on Google maps such as the one by aaaVeee.

Thanks for the tips. It's nice to hear you're enjoying your time there.

We're staying at the St. Regis 5 nights, then over to Milaidhoo Island for 5 nights, then over to Vietnam for 8 days and Hong Kong for 1-2 days. We use the sea planes to get to St. Regis, Milaidhoo, and Conrad and we took a commercial flight and boat to Park Hyatt Hadahaa and Baros.

Funny thing, on our commercial flight to Park Hyatt we had the defense minister with guards with machine guns on our flight and while I was a bit tense, he was very kind and charming. Last year on our sea plane to Conrad we sat next to the President of Hilton on the sea plane and really enjoyed talking to him since he is such a nice man. Lots of interesting folks to meet in the Maldives.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:50 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.