Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Gwen, Luxury Collection, Chicago USA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gwen, Luxury Collection, Chicago USA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jbeans
Has anyone had experience with their concierge service? Wondering if they have any special relationships with any of the hard-to-book restaurants in the city.
I haven't, but if you figure out which restaurants are on the Tock system and you are committed to going, that's a good way to buy your "tickets" to a hot & interesting place
CLEguy likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Talking Check-out Folio tells me me book next stay @ Sheraton.com???

Just checked my e-mail w/ Folio attached & it reads at bottom of PDF letterhead:

When you stay with us, we Go Beyond so you can too with thoughtful service, exceptional experiences and everything you seek when traveling. Book
your next stay at Sheraton.com

My guess it's a typo. How many brands could this property be in 18 years
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold
I'll be at this property Wednesday - Sunday and will report back. Looking forward to checking this one out.
CLEguy likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Originally Posted by Wingtipflyer1
Just checked my e-mail w/ Folio attached & it reads at bottom of PDF letterhead:

When you stay with us, we Go Beyond so you can too with thoughtful service, exceptional experiences and everything you seek when traveling. Book
your next stay at Sheraton.com

My guess it's a typo. How many brands could this property be in 18 years
my folio from three weeks ago does make the Sheraton.com reference below my signature but it also proudly says Luxury Collection at top right of letterhead. I have seen this in a few other places (don’t recall where) my guess is that they use the Sheraton base accounting/rev management system and isn’t suggesting something more than that. My stay there as a platinum was meh btw. Nothing horrible but nothing luxurious or exceptional either.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by honghong322
I'll be at this property Wednesday - Sunday and will report back. Looking forward to checking this one out.
Let us know what you think - it's the best SPG IMO in Chicago.

Curious how others think it compares to the JW or RC if anyone has done all three. JW location sub-optimal for weekend fun...I was considering RC for my fall trip, but that was before they officially said "piss off" to program loyalty so back to the Gwen for me
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:52 pm

Just finished a stay there over 4th of July weekend to celebrate my bday. A+ experience all around! Got upgraded 2 categories even though I'm just a lowly Gold. Dining service even sent over a tray of sweets on the day of my bday. Very friendly and attentive service at the front desk, bar, and rooftop lounge. The only recommendation I have, if you're going to get breakfast at the hotel, is to get the room service breakfast vs. going down to the restaurant. The food appeared to come from 2 different kitchens (maybe), and tasted vastly different; we much preferred the room service breakfast quality.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:48 am

Just finished a stay there over 4th of July weekend to celebrate my bday. A+ experience all around! Got upgraded 2 categories even though I'm just a lowly Gold. Dining service even sent over a tray of sweets on the day of my bday. Very friendly and attentive service at the front desk, bar, and rooftop lounge. The only recommendation I have, if you're going to get breakfast at the hotel, is to get the room service breakfast vs. going down to the restaurant. The food appeared to come from 2 different kitchens (maybe), and tasted vastly different; we much preferred the room service breakfast quality.
That's amazing! I'm booking this stay for my gf's 30th birthday and I noted this as well. As a Plat, I'm not expecting anything, but if there are surprises, i wouldn't mind! Thanks for the tip about breakfast, I'll note that.
jbeans likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is room service covered under the Platinum breakfast benefit? IIRC in the restaurant it was a ~$14-16 credit or so which was good for a full breakfast, but room service usually runs a lot more, plus added service charges.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:29 pm

I'm not a plat so I paid for both breakfasts. But I did see ppl using breakfast vouchers ($14 I think) at the restaurant, I remember thinking it only covers a couple of very basic options on the menu, not enough to also pay for a coffee/juice. I assume the same credit would apply towards room service as well? The per item prices were actually similar, but yes you do have the added delivery fee.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Is room service covered under the Platinum breakfast benefit? IIRC in the restaurant it was a ~$14-16 credit or so which was good for a full breakfast, but room service usually runs a lot more, plus added service charges.

Last edited by jbeans; Jul 17, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:45 pm

Just checked in here on a 3 night stay with Cash+Points. I had booked the cheapest room, they upgraded to a Superior Room with a very nice view of Michigan Avenue and I can see the water from my room as well. I checked in early ~ 930am as well.

Platinum breakfast is a voucher and they have a Continental Breakfast. I'll be trying this tomorrow as I hope I can just use to voucher for something and pay the difference. The bathroom is really nice and the sink is huge. Common space is very modern and the roof deck terrace looks nice. As mentioned earlier, they are lacking plugs near the side of the bed. I'll have some pictures when I roam around
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by honghong322
Just checked in here on a 3 night stay with Cash+Points. I had booked the cheapest room, they upgraded to a Superior Room with a very nice view of Michigan Avenue and I can see the water from my room as well. I checked in early ~ 930am as well.

Platinum breakfast is a voucher and they have a Continental Breakfast. I'll be trying this tomorrow as I hope I can just use to voucher for something and pay the difference. The bathroom is really nice and the sink is huge. Common space is very modern and the roof deck terrace looks nice. As mentioned earlier, they are lacking plugs near the side of the bed. I'll have some pictures when I roam around
IIRC the voucher should be good enough for an egg/potato/sausage or bacon meal, so more of a full one vs. a continental
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I am considering a stay at The Gwen for an upcoming trip to Chicago. I have previously stayed at the Westin River North and had a pleasant stay and thought the Club Lounge was fairly nice. My other recent stay was at the Hyatt Regency Chicago and I didn't mind the size of the hotel and they have a decent Club lounge there as well.

I understand The Gwen does not have a lounge and Platinum breakfast is limited to $14 per person or continental. And you have to take two elevators to get to your room. At the same C+P rate as the Westin River North and comparable C+P rates at the Hyatt Regency, I am trying to decide between these three hotels. The Westin and Hyatt both have a good chance at getting an upgrade to a river view room from my limited experience. I am curious what kind of room upgrades are available at The Gwen. Also The Gwen is part of the Luxury Collection, but is it really that much nicer than the Westin River North?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Also The Gwen is part of the Luxury Collection, but is it really that much nicer than the Westin River North?
Stayed here last summer. I've stayed at other Luxury Collection hotel, have no idea how this place qualified for luxury. It's just average at best.

Best part about this hotel is attached restaurant. I'd suggest Westin over Gwen.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BarryL
Stayed here last summer. I've stayed at other Luxury Collection hotel, have no idea how this place qualified for luxury. It's just average at best.

Best part about this hotel is attached restaurant. I'd suggest Westin over Gwen.
Agree to disagree. The Gwen is a step up post-renovation...maybe you stayed during the renovation.

It is the nicest Starwood in Chicago and IMO has a better location than the JW or RC. Won't be surprised if it goes up a category in a few years.

Originally Posted by Time traveller
I am considering a stay at The Gwen for an upcoming trip to Chicago. I have previously stayed at the Westin River North and had a pleasant stay and thought the Club Lounge was fairly nice. My other recent stay was at the Hyatt Regency Chicago and I didn't mind the size of the hotel and they have a decent Club lounge there as well.

I understand The Gwen does not have a lounge and Platinum breakfast is limited to $14 per person or continental. And you have to take two elevators to get to your room. At the same C+P rate as the Westin River North and comparable C+P rates at the Hyatt Regency, I am trying to decide between these three hotels. The Westin and Hyatt both have a good chance at getting an upgrade to a river view room from my limited experience. I am curious what kind of room upgrades are available at The Gwen. Also The Gwen is part of the Luxury Collection, but is it really that much nicer than the Westin River North?
Lounges at both Westins are nice...if you like lounges, that's a good choice. I like the overall Gwen experience. In my dozen+ stays at the Westin RN I have received one true suite upgrade...there just aren't many. River view is nice but I don't really consider that much of an "upgrade". The Gwen on the other hand has a lot larger suite pool.

Yes there are two elevators, but IME it's not that big of a hotel and it's not a huge wait.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: Some
Just wrapped up a quick stay here, nice to see this place hasn't been spoiled by the Marriott cost-cutting squad yet! Great welcome, great service, great room.

Platinum breakfast benefit is I think still a $14 voucher per person, which as a small criticism is starting to get a bit low given I think the menu prices have gone up slightly with inflation since I last stayed here! I stayed on a Luxury Privileges rate which included breakfast and it was the same voucher I was given for that (chose points as my Welcome Amenity, not sure if I could have had double the amount to spend at breakfast otherwise!). I do generally prefer a high quality a la carte menu to a breakfast buffet, so I'm happy with the breakfast set up.

Booked a Grand Deluxe Landmark room and was upgraded to a large suite with a large terrace (I think it was a Superior Suite with Terrace). Bottle of wine and cheese board waiting in the room as a welcome amenity. Location is great.

Overall, I struggle to see why you would stay anywhere else in Chicago if you are loyal to Marriott, unless you were will to pay nearly twice the price per night for the RC.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.