FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Gwen, Luxury Collection, Chicago USA [Master Thread]
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:09 am
UA-NYC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BarryL
Stayed here last summer. I've stayed at other Luxury Collection hotel, have no idea how this place qualified for luxury. It's just average at best.

Best part about this hotel is attached restaurant. I'd suggest Westin over Gwen.
Agree to disagree. The Gwen is a step up post-renovation...maybe you stayed during the renovation.

It is the nicest Starwood in Chicago and IMO has a better location than the JW or RC. Won't be surprised if it goes up a category in a few years.

Originally Posted by Time traveller
I am considering a stay at The Gwen for an upcoming trip to Chicago. I have previously stayed at the Westin River North and had a pleasant stay and thought the Club Lounge was fairly nice. My other recent stay was at the Hyatt Regency Chicago and I didn't mind the size of the hotel and they have a decent Club lounge there as well.

I understand The Gwen does not have a lounge and Platinum breakfast is limited to $14 per person or continental. And you have to take two elevators to get to your room. At the same C+P rate as the Westin River North and comparable C+P rates at the Hyatt Regency, I am trying to decide between these three hotels. The Westin and Hyatt both have a good chance at getting an upgrade to a river view room from my limited experience. I am curious what kind of room upgrades are available at The Gwen. Also The Gwen is part of the Luxury Collection, but is it really that much nicer than the Westin River North?
Lounges at both Westins are nice...if you like lounges, that's a good choice. I like the overall Gwen experience. In my dozen+ stays at the Westin RN I have received one true suite upgrade...there just aren't many. River view is nice but I don't really consider that much of an "upgrade". The Gwen on the other hand has a lot larger suite pool.

Yes there are two elevators, but IME it's not that big of a hotel and it's not a huge wait.