Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Grande Bretagne, Athens, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Athens (a Starwood property)

Syntagma Square · Athens 10564 ∙ Greece · Phone: +30 210 3330000 · Fax: +30 210 3228034
http://www.grandebretagne.gr/en/ (English web pages)
e-mail: info.gb starwoodhotels.com

Reservations: United States 1-800-325-3589
GB France, Germany, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom: +800-325-45454
CN China 8008 688 688; IN India 000 800 650 1405; RU Russian Federation +353-21-4930492; SA Saudi Arabia 800 844 1348

Dining options: link

In-room amenities and gifts available: link

Synopsis: Historical hotel at Syntagma (Constitution) Square, across street from Parliament, views from rooftop garden of Parthenon, Acropolis, Lycabettus and much more. Some great view rooms, some patio rooms.

Getting there from ATH / Athens International Airport "Eleftherios Venizelos" (Διεθνής Αερολιμένας Αθηνών "Ελευθέριος Βενιζέλος"):

Express bus X95 to Syntagma (Constitution) Square, c 20 min 24 hrs, duration ~70 minutes. EUR 6.00 per person.

Metro number 3 from airport (signed Aghia Marina) to Syntagma Square (but watch for thieves and pickpockets). You can also connect from this metro to Line 1 at Monastiraki to Piraeus and its cruise and ferry ship terminal. EUR 8.00 per person, 36 minutes.

Taxi: From Door 3 of the Arrivals Level: 5 AM - midnight €35 and
Night Service midnight - 5 AM: €50. Athens Taxi Tours costs EUR 38 - link About 45 minutes. Note: The charge is determined by the time of arrival at the destination and includes all applicable surcharges and extras. No extra baggage, toll, etc. charges, and if they tell you there are, it's a lie to get more money.

Arranged transport: I use Greek Taxi / PK Travel for EUR 50 for a carload; they wait for me at the terminal with a name sign, can stop at an ATM and the like, and use modern, comfortable Mercedes vehicles. Hotel can also arrange vehicle, limousine or VIP transfers.

We used George’s Taxi for 5 different airport transfers and 2 tours and they were fantastic- they also charge EUR 50, have Mercedes cabs, meet and greet and assist with luggage, and have friendly, English speaking drivers. https://www.taxigreece.com/
Print Wikipost

Hotel Grande Bretagne, Athens, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2007, 1:43 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by domirule
Am I right in saying that if I'm carrying luggage, subway is NOT recommended because of the stairs?

How much is taxi? Are we talking about something like 40~50 Euros from ATH to the Grande Bretagne?
Closer to EUR 30-35.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 6:05 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
There is some luggage carrying you will have to do...very short at the airport since you can get a cart all the way to the subway station and then use the elevator down to the platform. But at Syntagma square you will need to carry your luggage a short distance and then there are some stairs to go up and then 25 ft to the hotel lobby.

Taxi during the day should not be more than 40 euros, average is about 35.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:47 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by gpapadop
But at Syntagma square you will need to carry your luggage a short distance and then there are some stairs to go up and then 25 ft to the hotel lobby.
Is it a lot of stairs or just a typical flight of stairs?
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:50 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by ijgordon
As far as transport, we took the subway both ways, because we timed it well. They only leave every 30 minutes -- at the top and bottom of the hour both from the airport and from Syntagma. The subway trip is about 35-40 minutes. The price is EUR 6, or EUR 10 for 2 people.
I'll probably base my decision on taking the metro versus taxi on how long I would have to wait for the subway.

If I arrive on Aegean Airlines on a domestic flight, about how much time is required to walk from the baggage claim area to the subway platform (including the time required to buy a Metro ticket)?

If it works out at :00 or :30, I'll take the metro.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 11:43 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
>>>Is it a lot of stairs or just a typical flight of stairs?

I 'd guess three sets of twenty each (small ones). Of course you hope the moving escalators are working (they almost always are) if not u are screwed!
Old Sep 11, 2007, 2:30 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
There is a lift to take you from the underground station to street level (that takes you to top of the square).

If you want to avoid the steps (only 1 set of 15-20) from the square to the hotel, you can walk to the bottom of the square, then walk back towards the hotel. This will add an extra 100 yards or so and a slight incline as you walk back up to the hotel.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nnn
I'll probably base my decision on taking the metro versus taxi on how long I would have to wait for the subway.

If I arrive on Aegean Airlines on a domestic flight, about how much time is required to walk from the baggage claim area to the subway platform (including the time required to buy a Metro ticket)?

If it works out at :00 or :30, I'll take the metro.
I think if you get your bags with 10 minutes to spare you should be ok. You have to go upstairs to the departure level, cross the road, and walk across a bridge (to the left of the Sofitel) with moving walkways that goes to the train station. Not sure how easy it is to get upstairs inside the terminal, but there are elevators outside right at the bridge, and there is also an escalator, but the up one and the down one are kind of far apart and I can't recall if they're even that close to the bridge.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:53 am

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium
Grande Bretagne Rooms/Breakfast/Pool

Request a room on a high level overlooking Constitution Square. These rooms all have balconies, providing an amazing view of the Acropolis, the Palace, etc., etc.

The hotel serves breakfast on the open-air roof, another place where the views are vast and magnificent. There is also an open-air pool.

The rooms are slightly above 5*.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:42 pm

Acropolis View?

Hi all, I'm planning on spending 1 night in Athens for the last night of my honeymoon. We've already decided to stay at the Grande Bretagne and I wanted to see what other people think in terms of the room.

I've read previous posts raving about the Acropolis View, and so that has piqued my interest. However, is it worth the cost? I can book a Deluxe Room for 291 EUR using my corporate rate. Or I can book the Deluxe Room w/ Acropolis View for 465.5 EUR.

Is the Acropolis View room worth the extra 175 EUR ($260 after taxes & conversion to USD)?? Or should we opt for the standard Deluxe room and just get the view from the rooftop?
Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by na9101
Hi all, I'm planning on spending 1 night in Athens for the last night of my honeymoon. We've already decided to stay at the Grande Bretagne and I wanted to see what other people think in terms of the room.

I've read previous posts raving about the Acropolis View, and so that has piqued my interest. However, is it worth the cost? I can book a Deluxe Room for 291 EUR using my corporate rate. Or I can book the Deluxe Room w/ Acropolis View for 465.5 EUR.

Is the Acropolis View room worth the extra 175 EUR ($260 after taxes & conversion to USD)?? Or should we opt for the standard Deluxe room and just get the view from the rooftop?
Thanks!
I would not pay 175 EUR for the Acropolis View. It is nice in the evening (dark at late night). Better use the money for a nice dinner at the rooftop and hope for an upgrade.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:17 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Rather than paying that much extra for the room, make sure your rate includes breakfast which is served on the rooftop terrace which has great views of the Acropolis. It's also great to go up there at night and have a drink when the Acropolis is all lit up.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop

Taxi during the day should not be more than 40 euros, average is about 35.

Thanks for the info. We have a domestic flight out of ATH at ~5.30 in the morning on a Saturday. What time should we tell the taxi to come pick us up at the hotel?
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by yashan
Thanks for the info. We have a domestic flight out of ATH at ~5.30 in the morning on a Saturday. What time should we tell the taxi to come pick us up at the hotel?
At this time of the day taxi should not need any longer than 30 minutes.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:50 am

At that time of the day,depending on the mood of the taxi driver, he could probably make it there in 20 mins:-)

I would leave no later than 4 am...3.45 am should be fine. Stuff happens, especially in Greek roads and airports!
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:43 am

Thanks for all the taxi info everyone.

Another question regarding breakfast. I'm staying on points but I do not think breakfast is included in the "rate". Is breakfast available to Platinum members or will it be out of pocket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.