Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Grande Bretagne, Athens, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Athens (a Starwood property)

Syntagma Square · Athens 10564 ∙ Greece · Phone: +30 210 3330000 · Fax: +30 210 3228034
http://www.grandebretagne.gr/en/ (English web pages)
e-mail: info.gb starwoodhotels.com

Reservations: United States 1-800-325-3589
GB France, Germany, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom: +800-325-45454
CN China 8008 688 688; IN India 000 800 650 1405; RU Russian Federation +353-21-4930492; SA Saudi Arabia 800 844 1348

Dining options: link

In-room amenities and gifts available: link

Synopsis: Historical hotel at Syntagma (Constitution) Square, across street from Parliament, views from rooftop garden of Parthenon, Acropolis, Lycabettus and much more. Some great view rooms, some patio rooms.

Getting there from ATH / Athens International Airport "Eleftherios Venizelos" (Διεθνής Αερολιμένας Αθηνών "Ελευθέριος Βενιζέλος"):

Express bus X95 to Syntagma (Constitution) Square, c 20 min 24 hrs, duration ~70 minutes. EUR 6.00 per person.

Metro number 3 from airport (signed Aghia Marina) to Syntagma Square (but watch for thieves and pickpockets). You can also connect from this metro to Line 1 at Monastiraki to Piraeus and its cruise and ferry ship terminal. EUR 8.00 per person, 36 minutes.

Taxi: From Door 3 of the Arrivals Level: 5 AM - midnight €35 and
Night Service midnight - 5 AM: €50. Athens Taxi Tours costs EUR 38 - link About 45 minutes. Note: The charge is determined by the time of arrival at the destination and includes all applicable surcharges and extras. No extra baggage, toll, etc. charges, and if they tell you there are, it's a lie to get more money.

Arranged transport: I use Greek Taxi / PK Travel for EUR 50 for a carload; they wait for me at the terminal with a name sign, can stop at an ATM and the like, and use modern, comfortable Mercedes vehicles. Hotel can also arrange vehicle, limousine or VIP transfers.

We used George’s Taxi for 5 different airport transfers and 2 tours and they were fantastic- they also charge EUR 50, have Mercedes cabs, meet and greet and assist with luggage, and have friendly, English speaking drivers. https://www.taxigreece.com/
Print Wikipost

Hotel Grande Bretagne, Athens, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:03 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I’m staying another night, so I’ll save my review and photos for tomorrow. Regardless, initial impressions are quite positive - as the roof is being renovated, breakfast is in the lobby but was done well with very attentive service. Suite is designed well, and there’s little you could improve with the bed. The one curiosity is who is supposed to check in on the 6th floor - I was not told about this in email, I think - so I waited in the lobby behind some guests who couldn’t figure out how many rooms they booked and kept trying to pay in cash. Once I got to the front of the line, they sent me up to the 6th floor - seems it would have been faster to send me up there first. Alas, such a tiny nitpick.
We were told (after waiting in line like you did) that Suites/Butler service rooms can/should check in on 6th floor. Of course, in the situation of a 'day' upgrade, this may not be apparent until you get to the desk.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 3:04 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Very odd - someone knocked on my door at 11 PM - seemed like some confused lady. It was odd as upon seeing me, she didn't get that she had the wrong room. If she wasn't aware of the room occupant for the room she was looking for, why would she be trying to meet a stranger at 11 PM? They really need to add keycard security to the elevators and stairs here...
Old Feb 16, 2024, 5:57 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by canolakid
We were told (after waiting in line like you did) that Suites/Butler service rooms can/should check in on 6th floor. Of course, in the situation of a 'day' upgrade, this may not be apparent until you get to the desk.
I always just go check in at the Butler's lounge. I think if you're a Marriott elite, it's generally ok to do. The service is a lot more friendly and luxurious than the cruise ship passenger dispatchers on the ground floor
canolakid likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 10:05 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Overall, I liked Hotel Grande Bretagne - the bed is very comfortable, and the breakfast is great. Here are my impressions:
  • Upgraded to a Deluxe Suite on the 2nd floor with a courtyard view - I did not inquire about higher suite types, but would have preferred one or perhaps a room with a better view
  • Bed is very comfortable - plush mattress, plush pillows, plush-ish covers (not super thick or super thin)
  • Shower is good with lots of water flow (not super heavy pressure, but lots of water)
  • I enjoyed the hotel and room decor (it’s better than King George where I’m at now)
  • Nice welcome gift of cinnamon liqueur, cake balls, and a large chocolate bar
  • Service is friendly but less overbearing (and less conversational) than I expected
  • No issue with 4 PM late checkout, but I received several single phone rings in the hours of 1 and 2 PM
  • Even on a points redemption, I had to pay 4 EUR a night for a climate resiliency tax (saw this baked into my cash rate at Academias)
  • Breakfast was fantastic - very thorough and attentive service - omelets were great - pancakes were fresh and tasty - loved the Greek pastries with cheese on the buffet - really good orange juice
  • Concerns on lack of elevator security (odd lady knocking on my door at 11 PM), and smoke from 1st floor cigar bar floats up at night to 2nd floor hallway through open stairway

I would return.

Photos:

dgreen12, lamphs and canolakid like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Very odd - someone knocked on my door at 11 PM - seemed like some confused lady. It was odd as upon seeing me, she didn't get that she had the wrong room. If she wasn't aware of the room occupant for the room she was looking for, why would she be trying to meet a stranger at 11 PM? They really need to add keycard security to the elevators and stairs here...
Someone gave the wrong room number for their "full service" order?
TGLoyalty likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.