Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Grande Bretagne, Athens, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Athens (a Starwood property)

Syntagma Square · Athens 10564 ∙ Greece · Phone: +30 210 3330000 · Fax: +30 210 3228034
http://www.grandebretagne.gr/en/ (English web pages)
e-mail: info.gb starwoodhotels.com

Reservations: United States 1-800-325-3589
GB France, Germany, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom: +800-325-45454
CN China 8008 688 688; IN India 000 800 650 1405; RU Russian Federation +353-21-4930492; SA Saudi Arabia 800 844 1348

Dining options: link

In-room amenities and gifts available: link

Synopsis: Historical hotel at Syntagma (Constitution) Square, across street from Parliament, views from rooftop garden of Parthenon, Acropolis, Lycabettus and much more. Some great view rooms, some patio rooms.

Getting there from ATH / Athens International Airport "Eleftherios Venizelos" (Διεθνής Αερολιμένας Αθηνών "Ελευθέριος Βενιζέλος"):

Express bus X95 to Syntagma (Constitution) Square, c 20 min 24 hrs, duration ~70 minutes. EUR 6.00 per person.

Metro number 3 from airport (signed Aghia Marina) to Syntagma Square (but watch for thieves and pickpockets). You can also connect from this metro to Line 1 at Monastiraki to Piraeus and its cruise and ferry ship terminal. EUR 8.00 per person, 36 minutes.

Taxi: From Door 3 of the Arrivals Level: 5 AM - midnight €35 and
Night Service midnight - 5 AM: €50. Athens Taxi Tours costs EUR 38 - link About 45 minutes. Note: The charge is determined by the time of arrival at the destination and includes all applicable surcharges and extras. No extra baggage, toll, etc. charges, and if they tell you there are, it's a lie to get more money.

Arranged transport: I use Greek Taxi / PK Travel for EUR 50 for a carload; they wait for me at the terminal with a name sign, can stop at an ATM and the like, and use modern, comfortable Mercedes vehicles. Hotel can also arrange vehicle, limousine or VIP transfers.

We used George’s Taxi for 5 different airport transfers and 2 tours and they were fantastic- they also charge EUR 50, have Mercedes cabs, meet and greet and assist with luggage, and have friendly, English speaking drivers. https://www.taxigreece.com/
Print Wikipost

Hotel Grande Bretagne, Athens, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sonomawine
We are currently staying here, and have enjoyed our visit until the German President and his delegation arrived. One would expect the hotel to be able to handle dignitaries and their delegates in an efficient manner but it is simply not the case. They let the group completely take over the hotel lobby and restrict entry & access to the property. I don't understand why they don't create guest only entry & access. Instead as a guest, we are forced to go through German security screening and when accessing the elevators they are held for the dignitaries while we are left to wait.
Be glad it is Germany and not the United States or China for example. This is always a risk if staying at a hotel that dignitaries with larger delegations tend to use. The only surefire way to avoid this is to stay at a boutique which is not large enough to accommodate such a group.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Haha, reminds me of one episode a few years back - I was barred from entering my hotel because Liza Minnelli was leaving at the very same moment. I had to wait outside till she had gone out of the door and into her car. Only then I was allowed to enter
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skrosvik
Haha, reminds me of one episode a few years back - I was barred from entering my hotel because Liza Minnelli was leaving at the very same moment. I had to wait outside till she had gone out of the door and into her car. Only then I was allowed to enter
I was in a Munich hotel at the same time as "J-Lo" or Jennifer Lopez as then she was then known a few years back when she was very very popular- toured with an entourage verging on the size of a major country.

I also happened during an ASEAN summit one time to stay on the same floor as a number of generals from Myanmar- those guys had very serious security.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Experienced that as well at GB Athens last Jan 2014 when the president of e.u. was there jan 7-9. Not too bad actually in the lobby except when it gets full with the reporters. But was on the same floor as the e.u. pres. or some vip so that was weird as way too many security giving me the looks.

I think greece's turn to be president of e.u. council no? So expect more things like this to come this year with all the heads of state and what not.

On a lighter note, one of my favourite hotels, comparable to hotel imperial wien
Old Mar 8, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
We got a nice call from the GM explaining that he was also dismayed at how the German delegation handled security and restricted access. He said about half the guests at the hotel have expressed their concerns. He said most dignitaries and their security detail prefer the staff entrance, as it is controlled and easier to control sniper fire. I guess the German President liked all the publicity using the front door. It was refreshing to see the German President and his group leave, only to replaced by an EU delegation. The GM offered us an nice upgrade on our next visit. I agree, great hotel when you can enjoy it and not be barred from entry and access.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
Does anyone have any advice about getting to this hotel from ATH airport?

I arrive at the airport very late (around midnight) and the hotel has transportation for 75€. I'm guessing this is just one way, which is a bit too much (if it were for a return, it wouldn't be so bad)

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:43 pm

Very easy...the metro

Embark at the airport - which is the first stop for the metro. Disembark at Syntagma Square, which is where the hotel is located.

The metro station even have exit signs for the GB.

Easy. Cheap. Convenient.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by zagy
Does anyone have any advice about getting to this hotel from ATH airport?

I arrive at the airport very late (around midnight) and the hotel has transportation for 75€. I'm guessing this is just one way, which is a bit too much (if it were for a return, it wouldn't be so bad)

Any suggestions?
If you arrive too late and the metro is closed, take the express bus X95 to Syntagma!!

It leaves you right at the door for 5 euros and runs every 15 mins 24h/day!!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Nikolaos
If you arrive too late and the metro is closed, take the express bus X95 to Syntagma!!

It leaves you right at the door for 5 euros and runs every 15 mins 24h/day!!
You're right!

The last metro from the airport is at 23:35
Old Jun 11, 2014, 4:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Hotel Grande Bretagne, Athens, Greece 2007 onwards [Master Thread]

Just finishing up a wonderful 2 night stay at the Grande Bretagne and heading on to Oia. Stay was virtually perfect with only a couple of small nitpicky issues.

As a Platinum we were pre-upgraded to a nice Deluxe Suite on the 4th floor. Room definitely has that old world royalty feel to it and everything was spotless.

Concierge staff was great and helped us out with booking a ferry transfer from Santorini to Heraklion which I had found confusing to book online. They also recommended a nearby restaurant for dinner on our first night which we sadly could not find due to a very confusing sign at the restaurant. We ended up at another restaurant just down the street ( 34 Metropolis was the address) and had a wonderful dinner outside with several courses and a bottle of Greek red wine for only Euro 55 + tip.

On the second night we decided to dine at the rooftop restaurant and the dinner was spectacular. Service and food were as wonderful as the view.

As our Platinum amenity we chose the breakfast. Lots of nice options to pick from on the buffet and with the added Acropolis view.

All round one of our best SPG stays in a while. As mentioned, if I were to nitpick I would say that they need more than one bellman outside since we lugged our own suitcases into the hotel on arrival since the one bellman was clearly busy. In addition, we also encountered issues due to a political VIP guest. Every guest had to go through a metal detector very time you entered the hotel and there were constantly people in suits standing around everywhere. A mild annoyance that evidently is very common based on other reviews above. Clearly the staff entrance option mentioned to sonomawine by the GM was not this dignitaries preferred mode of entrance either!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by sonomawine
We are currently staying here, and have enjoyed our visit until the German President and his delegation arrived. One would expect the hotel to be able to handle dignitaries and their delegates in an efficient manner but it is simply not the case. They let the group completely take over the hotel lobby and restrict entry & access to the property. I don't understand why they don't create guest only entry & access. Instead as a guest, we are forced to go through German security screening and when accessing the elevators they are held for the dignitaries while we are left to wait.
Just finished a stay there, along with the President of Azerbaijan. Lots of security from both the host country and the guests. Xray and metal detectors at the front door.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by christianj
Just finishing up a wonderful 2 night stay at the Grande Bretagne and heading on to Oia. Stay was virtually perfect with only a couple of small nitpicky issues.

As a Platinum we were pre-upgraded to a nice Deluxe Suite on the 4th floor. Room definitely has that old world royalty feel to it and everything was spotless.

Concierge staff was great and helped us out with booking a ferry transfer from Santorini to Heraklion which I had found confusing to book online. They also recommended a nearby restaurant for dinner on our first night which we sadly could not find due to a very confusing sign at the restaurant. We ended up at another restaurant just down the street ( 34 Metropolis was the address) and had a wonderful dinner outside with several courses and a bottle of Greek red wine for only Euro 55 + tip.

On the second night we decided to dine at the rooftop restaurant and the dinner was spectacular. Service and food were as wonderful as the view.

As our Platinum amenity we chose the breakfast. Lots of nice options to pick from on the buffet and with the added Acropolis view.

All round one of our best SPG stays in a while. As mentioned, if I were to nitpick I would say that they need more than one bellman outside since we lugged our own suitcases into the hotel on arrival since the one bellman was clearly busy. In addition, we also encountered issues due to a political VIP guest. Every guest had to go through a metal detector very time you entered the hotel and there were constantly people in suits standing around everywhere. A mild annoyance that evidently is very common based on other reviews above. Clearly the staff entrance option mentioned to sonomawine by the GM was not this dignitaries preferred mode of entrance either!
Thanks for the report; we'll be there later this month.

As to VIPs, this is what happens. Some of the worst may be the unnamed wealthy oil kingdom potentates with their entourages, private security who treat others like rubbish. My last stay in Greece (at the Hilton) was also when Benjamin Netanyahu was there; enough said, security was pretty tight.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by JDiver
As to VIPs, this is what happens. Some of the worst may be the unnamed wealthy oil kingdom potentates with their entourages, private security who treat others like rubbish.
I guarantee you the worst is when people with the last name Clinton stay at your hotel. Your taxi isn't even allowed to approach the hotel! It's happened to me 3 times over the years. But I always say that if your hotel is overrun by world leaders, it means you are staying in a pretty nice hotel.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
... I always say that if your hotel is overrun by world leaders, it means you are staying in a pretty nice hotel.
But the privileges don't end there: you get to pay for your room AND theirs!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: SPG Plat; OneWorld Emerald; *A Gold
Just finished 2 night stay at this property. Was fully booked, so no plat upgrade unfortunately, but they were accommodating with early check-in and late check-out.

- Great service
- Spa was nice, although steam/sauna area could have better sound proofing from the pool area. Variety of steam/sauna rooms was good.
- Rooftop pool was great (it faces Lycabettus Hill, not the Acropolis). It gets a bit packed around 3-5pm, where it is hard to find a lounge bed, and even at times a chair
- Rooftop bar/restaurant had amazing views of the Acropolis, Syntagma square and the changing of the guards. Food was good, drinks were good. Breakfast is served up, which was a nice treat (one of the better breakfasts as a plat gift)
- Hotel was very centrally located, cabs were < €5 to most places. Can even walk to most places if it's not too hot outside

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.