Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Property is a resort, so Autograph Collection resort benefits apply.

Confirmed list of benefits for Marriott Platinum Elite (and higher) members:

— Welcome Gift of 1000 Marriott Bonvoy points (per stay) OR continental breakfast at Manta Restaurant for member +1 (per day). See post 595 for a recent report of the elite breakfast benefit.
— Eligible for an upgrade and late check-out, if available.
— High-speed internet

Confirmed list of benefits for ALL Marriott Rewards Members:

— Free wifi (3 devices max, also extends out to the beach area)
— 10% discount on breakfast buffet at Manta Restaurant (3/29/21 unsure what is offered as there is no buffet)
— 10% discount for MKBH's twice-weekly Luau dinner and show
— 2 comp rental club sets with 2 paid rounds for golf
— 2 comp tennis racquet rentals

Maximum # in room is THREE (which is strange for a family property), but multiple calls to property have confirmed this/they're holding to it.
02-02-2024 Website now says 3rd and now 4th adult in room is $95 extra per person
Parking:

— Electric car charging stations: 4, For a fee
— On-site parking, fee: 30 USD daily
— Valet parking, fee: 30 USD daily

Room pictures: https://maunakeabeachhotel.com/accommodations/

Area restaurants: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...ts-thread.html

Print Wikipost

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2022, 1:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
5 days to 2 days ahead of stay.
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Update on Elite breakfast:

​​​​​​I am Titanium on an award stay (2 adults, 1 kid). The buffet breakfast is not automatically included in the Titanium benefits anymore. If you choose the breakfast welcome gift, they offer two (not three!) Continental breakfasts for my room. If you want the buffet, it is a 27 USD upgrade charge per person. I end up having the complimentary Continental breakfast for wife and kid, and purchasing the (overpriced) USD 45 buffet breakfast for myself.
That's a real disappointment. That breakfast used to be one of the best in the US for elites and a selling point over the Hapuna. I guess this brings the MK in line with their sister property but it's still a downgrade.
Pocatello likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
For those stayed recently, was there a fridge in the room?
Old Sep 3, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Yes there has been a fridge in every room when we have stayed there
Old Sep 8, 2022, 3:46 pm

Just wrapped up five nights here. Platinum and booked on points before the devaluation. We were VERY pleased for the property for the points we used but the new points rate and cash rates would be harder to swallow.

We were "only" upgraded to a Deluxe Golf Vista and it was on the lowest floor for guest rooms. The room itself was giant but not a great view. Still we were pleased as it was an upgrade and a very pleasant place to rest.

I thought the platinum continental was plenty of food but it did get boring. I'm trying to decide if I would have preferred the grab and go at the Westin as breakfast service was slow (staff shortage; servers were working really hard), but the view was top notch so waiting a bit was ok.

Otherwise service was pretty good. The manager reception was great and my husband got some good bourbon we have trouble finding near us. I just had wine. We ate at Copper Bar twice. Service a little slow but once again the view.

We made use of the free beach equipment. We are early risers which is good as the front row of beach chairs was full by 7am daily. No worries to get a chair father back though; plenty are available.

​​​ We had an amazing time but are resigned to likely never be back unless rates go down.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 4:33 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by aregularmom
We are early risers which is good as the front row of beach chairs was full by 7am daily. No worries to get a chair father back though; plenty are available.
This will never change. The chairs aren't full just "booked" feel free to move the stuff, if it's apparent that no one is around.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 10:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Does anyone know if the parking fee here earns points from the stay? Not talking about earning from any CC, I know I'll earn that.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
Does anyone know if the parking fee here earns points from the stay? Not talking about earning from any CC, I know I'll earn that.
No, just F&B for me. Not even tips, which is I guess expected.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 4:30 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I mean sure you could add beachfront rooms and Deluxe golf view for SNA’s but those are the typical day of upgrade for Plat’s and above.
Maybe during dead times of year or for one night stays, but for a 5 night points award, I have never been upgraded to beachfront here, typically we have paid for the upgrade to beachfront (used to $100 to upgrade, over the last 10 years it has climbed to $200 a night).
Old Sep 16, 2022, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
Maybe during dead times of year or for one night stays, but for a 5 night points award, I have never been upgraded to beachfront here, typically we have paid for the upgrade to beachfront (used to $100 to upgrade, over the last 10 years it has climbed to $200 a night).
I received complimentary Plat upgrade from golf view to beachfront over Labor Day Weekend on a 4-nt stay using points/FNCs. I suspect property was about 75-80% capacity when chatting with the FD, but restaurants/luau were at max capacity. Silly thing is my SNAs were rejected and I think I included anything not golf view.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by aregularmom
The manager reception was great and my husband got some good bourbon we have trouble finding near us. I just had wine.
What is the manager reception? I have not heard of this before at the Mauna Kea.

Thanks.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
We stayed in mid June this year, on a 6 night reward stay. SNA were denied, but we were upgraded to a beachfront deluxe suite on arrival.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Originally Posted by brentyb
We stayed in mid June this year, on a 6 night reward stay. SNA were denied, but we were upgraded to a beachfront deluxe suite on arrival.
Color me jealous! I have never managed any upgrade at this hotel, but have always paid to upgrade to beachfront. Stayed maybe 35 nights over 10 years, so not enough to really know, but enough to feel like I know......
Old Sep 18, 2022, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Had a great one night stay here although the prices either in points in cash are steep. Good use of the 85k /nt certificate as the signup bonus for the AMEX Bonvoy Brilliant Card though.

The complimentary continental breakfast for platinums is good and very filling but not necessarily luxurious.

Booked the cheapest golf view on points but was upgraded to a beach view for free without SNAs.

Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by VWang1111

The complimentary continental breakfast for platinums is good and very filling but not necessarily luxurious.
How much should one tip for this breakfast, previously I tipped on the declared value of the full buffet 2 x $49, so a $20 tip. Not sure a fruit plate and pastry warrants much of a tip?
Old Sep 24, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
How much should one tip for this breakfast, previously I tipped on the declared value of the full buffet 2 x $49, so a $20 tip. Not sure a fruit plate and pastry warrants much of a tip?
You are re-asking possibly the most debated question on Flyer Talk, but in a slightly different manner. The larger question is "Is the tip included for a complimentary breakfast provided to elites"?

The answer is debatable. Sometimes explained one way or the other in the fine print on the back of a breakfast certificate. (Frequently to usually but not always included). You can add more if you thought the server was exceptional. (I usually split the difference, but, go away wondering if I look cheap--or am a sucker who just way overtipped a conniving server). The question is further complicated if it is a buffet and only limited service is provided by the waitstaff.

In light of the sudden and dramatic price inflation, and reverting to "no hot food for you" for Marriott elites, I'm wondering if the Westin Hapuna Beach now makes way more sense than the Mauna Kea. (Granted, it is giving up a bit of something cache that is hard to quantify). Presuming one does not have a stack of free night certificates that would actually work at the Mauna Kea, or more points than one knows what to do with and only anticipates visiting Hawaii once; I'm not sure there is much of a drop off. Both of them are in sort of a food desert anyway, with very few other places to eat nearby.
DJ_Iceman likes this.

Last edited by jayer; Sep 24, 2022 at 1:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.