Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Property is a resort, so Autograph Collection resort benefits apply.

Confirmed list of benefits for Marriott Platinum Elite (and higher) members:

— Welcome Gift of 1000 Marriott Bonvoy points (per stay) OR continental breakfast at Manta Restaurant for member +1 (per day). See post 595 for a recent report of the elite breakfast benefit.
— Eligible for an upgrade and late check-out, if available.
— High-speed internet

Confirmed list of benefits for ALL Marriott Rewards Members:

— Free wifi (3 devices max, also extends out to the beach area)
— 10% discount on breakfast buffet at Manta Restaurant (3/29/21 unsure what is offered as there is no buffet)
— 10% discount for MKBH's twice-weekly Luau dinner and show
— 2 comp rental club sets with 2 paid rounds for golf
— 2 comp tennis racquet rentals

Maximum # in room is THREE (which is strange for a family property), but multiple calls to property have confirmed this/they're holding to it.
02-02-2024 Website now says 3rd and now 4th adult in room is $95 extra per person
Parking:

— Electric car charging stations: 4, For a fee
— On-site parking, fee: 30 USD daily
— Valet parking, fee: 30 USD daily

Room pictures: https://maunakeabeachhotel.com/accommodations/

Area restaurants: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...ts-thread.html

Print Wikipost

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jaxxx
Looking to go to KOA next month and staying here with my wife and 10 yr old, as a PLAT member, how much would they charge my 10 yr old?? do they have pull out sofas??
this is probably the best Marriott property in KOA? better than the Waikoloa beach Marriott?
Charge your 10 year old for what? To stay in the room? Three people can stay in a room there but it is tight. We had a full/full room and a connecting king room and neither had a pull out sofa nor space for one.

As a plat, I think you'd get a breakfast buffet for you and your wife. (And the buffet is excellent.) You should get a 10% discount for your daughter's buffet. (That's what we got, and I think PLAT benefits are usually about the same as titanium.)

I have not been to Waikoloa, but have been here and the the Fairmont Orchid. We much preferred the Mauna Kea.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:34 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Air conditioning quality?

Hey folks! Can anyone comment on the quality of the air conditioning on recent stays? Our history of stays on the Big Island hasn't been so good with air con (hopefully at least to 67-68 F or so), including even the FS Hualalai. Thanks for anyone who can share their air con details.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:41 pm

The air-conditioning was locked off electronically so that you could not turn it down below 69 degrees. I stopped at the front desk and said I had asthma and needed to be able to make it cooler. When I returned to the room they had removed the lock remotely and I was able to turn it down as low as I wanted - and it was then quite effective. Not sure if I would have gotten to the same result if there wasn’t a medical condition involved.

There is also this website:
https://yourmileagemayvary.net/2018/04/16/how-to-override-hotel-thermostat-settings/
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:48 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Hey folks! Can anyone comment on the quality of the air conditioning on recent stays? Our history of stays on the Big Island hasn't been so good with air con (hopefully at least to 67-68 F or so), including even the FS Hualalai. Thanks for anyone who can share their air con details.
Someone has set the aircon in my room to freezing cold, and I had to actually turn it up despite being in one of the largest rooms.

Be warned - don’t expect St Regis levels of service here. The collected years of experience of the staff must more than almost any other hotel in the world which means some really friendly and knowledgeable service, but also some things running on island time. Do go if you would like to feel like the youngest hotel guest for a change, if you would like a slightly vintage atmosphere and some quality historical architecture (avoid the new building).
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: Too Many To Keep Track Of
Does anyone know if the Mauna Kea Residences book as a Marriott property on your credit card if you book the residence through the hotel website? Trying to decide on Bonvoy Card or CSR for the booking.

Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Never noticed issues, it runs nicely. But I think we usually target 69-70. It does auto shut off if you open your patio doors up.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:19 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Naylia
Does anyone know if the Mauna Kea Residences book as a Marriott property on your credit card if you book the residence through the hotel website? Trying to decide on Bonvoy Card or CSR for the booking.

Thanks!
Yes of course it books for Marriott bonus on Bonvoy cards—as long as booked via Marriott.

Last edited by bhrubin; Sep 14, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador

Thanks!
I doubt it. You are talking about the Mauna Kea website, not the Marriott website correct? I've never seen residences as an option... If it isn't booked on the Marriott website I doubt it gets the 5 points.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:08 am

Thanks!
This option only appears on the Mauna Kea website - not Marriott website and you are not booking through the Marriott reservation systems but with the licensed real estate broker. The terms show your booking is with “Mauna Kea Resort Services, LLC” so I think the answer is no.

In addition price wise I think you can probably do a lot better if you look at VRBO or some of the other websites where you can book direct with owners. They of course entails some risk but you are eliminating a middle man that is taking a fee.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
This option only appears on the Mauna Kea website - not Marriott website and you are not booking through the Marriott reservation systems but with the licensed real estate broker. The terms show your booking is with “Mauna Kea Resort Services, LLC” so I think the answer is no.

In addition price wise I think you can probably do a lot better if you look at VRBO or some of the other websites where you can book direct with owners. They of course entails some risk but you are eliminating a middle man that is taking a fee.
The other consideration which may or may not be important is the beach and resort amenities access which depends on the "level" of the ownership.

The Club - Mauna Kea Resorts
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:10 pm

Thanks everyone!

And you'd think you could do better on price, but for our stay it comes out only $80 cheaper total on a 6 night stay if we book via VRBO once all the taxes and fees are factored in. The base rate is higher via Mauna Kea residences but the fees are much lower. And for $80 we'll take the week of beach parking and charging privileges easily as the same would run us $95 a day as an after purchase add on when booked via VRBO.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Would also recommend considering the Westin. I would place the Waikoloa a distant 3rd.

Originally Posted by gsb

I can’t answer the first question, but did stay at Waikoloa last month and visited both Mauna Kea and Westin Hapuna Beach. The rooms at Waikoloa were well done (at least on the MVC side), but the grounds, for me, were a bit of a miss. Nothing special about the pools or beach, and the grounds were not terribly pretty. The hotel is in a handy location in terms of shopping and dining, with lots of options within walking distance.

We thought Mauna Kea was very nicely done, but I think I would pick Westin. Both of the beaches were very nice, but we thought the pools at Westin were a bit better. I believe that, because of the construction going on at Westin, you can get a bit more in terms of value right now. I would be happy to stay at either one.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 5:55 am

Do they waive / comp the parking moneygrab fee for Plats or Titaniums?
Old Dec 29, 2019, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by abcx
Do they waive / comp the parking moneygrab fee for Plats or Titaniums?
They do not
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Breakfast and Parking/Resort Fees

Lifetime Platinum Plus soon to be visiting on a points award stay. First time in hotel in a couple of years. Questions for recent guests just to know what we should expect.

Were you charged for parking and/or a resort fee? We have differing memories whether we were charged staying on points in 2018. Please let me know your experience and settle the argument to keep us out of divorce court.

Were you comped breakfast? I would have said it was not a brand standard, but there is a recent "on Marriott website" review which seems to state they were given breakfast as Plats. (We were not in 2018, but I was not a Plat at the time).

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.