Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from May 2018:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...-recovery-2624
Print Wikipost

Ritz Carlton Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:43 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by msp3
The last rather amusing thing I encountered at checkout was seeing some bratty DYKWIM (and only a lowly Platinum at that) throw a hissy fit at not getting an upgrade because this is the Ritz-Carlton, even pulling out some ...... OTA (which one isn't?) to show the front desk there's some room they demanded to be upgraded into, and generally unbecoming behavior at a place as nice as this. Absolutely shameful behavior...
Wow. This is where I’d pull out my phone, video the episode, and post to Twitter. Someone like that deserves to be properly shamed, just as the RC Kyoto team deserves to be lauded for handling such a person.

But I agree—this is a spectacularly good RC. (Of course, as spectacular as it is, we still yearn even more for Suiran. You may wish to give that a try sometime, too.)
msp3 likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Mar 20, 2019 at 1:11 am
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by msp3
The last rather amusing thing I encountered at checkout was seeing some bratty DYKWIM (and only a lowly Platinum at that) throw a hissy fit at not getting an upgrade because this is the Ritz-Carlton, even pulling out some ...... OTA (which one isn't?) to show the front desk there's some room they demanded to be upgraded into, and generally unbecoming behavior at a place as nice as this. Absolutely shameful behavior on the part of the guest but the staff took it in stride and was gentle but firm with them.
While the attitude/behavior sounds unacceptable, I wonder if the other guest had correctly identified an available room that they were eligible for an upgrade to? The program T&Cs do say that Platinum members are eligible for upgrades at Ritz properties, excluding suites (and excluding Club rooms, but not relevant at RC Kyoto).

"Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in. Complimentary upgrade includes suites, rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors. At The Ritz-Carlton, suites are only included for Titanium Elite and Ambassador Elite Members and rooms with direct Club access are excluded."
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:08 am

a very kids friendly hotel

Originally Posted by lamont2718
While the attitude/behavior sounds unacceptable, I wonder if the other guest had correctly identified an available room that they were eligible for an upgrade to? The program T&Cs do say that Platinum members are eligible for upgrades at Ritz properties, excluding suites (and excluding Club rooms, but not relevant at RC Kyoto).

"Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in. Complimentary upgrade includes suites, rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors. At The Ritz-Carlton, suites are only included for Titanium Elite and Ambassador Elite Members and rooms with direct Club access are excluded."
I am writing this reply sitting in my Ritz Kyoto river view luxury room at the moment! We checked in at 5:30pm (staying for 7 nights) for 2 rooms (1room has plat and 1 room has titanium) and BOTH room got upgraded to luxury river room!!! I did NOT ask for the upgrade but I did email the hotel ahead of time to let them know that I understand it‘s peak season so I don’t expect to be upgraded. But we are open to upgrades for only few nights IF available. I was NOT expecting both rooms to get upgraded to river view. Now thinking about it, if my rooms were facing the street view/buildings, it totally wouldn‘t be the same experience for me. Nothing beats having a cup of tea infront of the river from your own room!!!

From luggage handeling to checking in...etc, the service has been superb! Both of my toddlers were given a Ritz kids passport which they can collect stamps or stickers and redeem Pierrer Hermes ice cream/macarons...etc. Tonight, they already got the ice cream from Simon from front desk. Kids enjoyed their bath in the sakura themed bathtub and loved the dog bath sponge.

At 60000pt a night, it‘s a steal! We paid 50000 a night at Osaka Marriott the past 2 nights yet it’s nothing close to Ritz Kyoto. I am glad we took advantage of the 60000pt a night and booked for Jan 2020 as well.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:04 pm

Is the hotel still providing free breakfast as platinum benefit?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by pointsifu
Yes. I recently inquired to check and received a written confirmation from them.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by pointsifu
Yes, we are staying here right now for 7 nights! You can choose from western buffet or Jap set breakfast each morning. You will also receive 20% off most restaurants here including the afternoon tea.

On a side note, the hotel has decided to stick with policy that they will ONLY honour the plat or any other elite benefits IF it‘s booked under the member’s name. The room reservation confirmed with me several times over email that they will honour my husband‘s titanium benefits even if the room was booked under my mom’s name (using points). But there was huge issue this morning at the restaurant becase they kept on asking me to pay for the breakfast for 1 room. Then the front desk still couldn‘t sorted it out until 2pm until I showed them the email...
bhrubin, pointsifu and nexusCFX like this.

Last edited by musicscrip; Mar 21, 2019 at 11:23 pm
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Staying here in a couple days on a 5 night award booking for 240K points. I noticed yesterday that they've pre-upgraded my room to the luxury river room which is very exciting given that when I inquired about the buy-up to this room they quoted me the difference in rate between it and the base room which was 24K yen per night. Based on some inventory patterns I've suspected for a little while that they oversold the base room, but I assumed in that case I would just maybe get a bump to the garden view room.
bhrubin and txpenny like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:06 am

Just spent 2 nights here on points. Received a Titanium upgrade from a Deluxe room to a Garden Terrace Suite (62 sq meters). The suite was amazing - elegant, spacious, beautifully appointed, with a private Japanese garden and terrace on the top floor overlooking the Kamogawa River and Higashiyama mountains. Possibly the best hotel room I've ever stayed in. In comparison, the Executive Suite and the Tower Suite at the Ritz Tokyo feel simply ordinary (aside from their skyscraper views).

Also happened to see a Luxury room (52 sq meters, river view) on the fourth floor. It was also beautiful and spacious, with a serene view of the river and mountains.

The property is beautiful inside and out, with the overall design in the style of a traditional Kyoto residence. The interior is decorated with dozens of custom art pieces commissioned for the hotel. The hotel feels quite special and distinctive compared to the rest of the Ritz properties. In many ways, the design aesthetic feels more akin to a Park Hyatt than a standard Ritz-Carlton (e.g., more of an elegant and understated boutique, less of a big corporate property).

Breakfast is included for Platinum guests and above. Choice of Japanese set breakfast at the Michelin-starred Mizuki (reservation required), or Western breakfast buffet at La Locanda. The Japanese breakfast is served in a kaiseki-style presentation, and I recommend trying it at least once - how often do you have a Michelin meal for breakfast?

The hotel offers a number of guided activities, including an art tour and cycle tour that were both excellent and complimentary. The guided hike was also tempting, but unfortunately I wasn't able to fit it in my schedule.

Service throughout the hotel was thoughtful and personal, with one hiccup at the Lobby Lounge addressed gracefully and proactively (we did not complain or request compensation, but accepted the kind gesture).

The only fault I can find with the hotel is the lack of a Club Lounge. However, the breakfast benefit for Platinum members is a nice mitigation.

Overall, we loved our stay and would highly recommend this property for a memorable experience in Kyoto.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by lamont2718
Just spent 2 nights here on points. Received a Titanium upgrade from a Deluxe room to a Garden Terrace Suite (62 sq meters). The suite was amazing - elegant, spacious, beautifully appointed, with a private Japanese garden and terrace on the top floor overlooking the Kamogawa River and Higashiyama mountains. Possibly the best hotel room I've ever stayed in. In comparison, the Executive Suite and the Tower Suite at the Ritz Tokyo feel simply ordinary (aside from their skyscraper views).

Also happened to see a Luxury room (52 sq meters, river view) on the fourth floor. It was also beautiful and spacious, with a serene view of the river and mountains.

The property is beautiful inside and out, with the overall design in the style of a traditional Kyoto residence. The interior is decorated with dozens of custom art pieces commissioned for the hotel. The hotel feels quite special and distinctive compared to the rest of the Ritz properties. In many ways, the design aesthetic feels more akin to a Park Hyatt than a standard Ritz-Carlton (e.g., more of an elegant and understated boutique, less of a big corporate property).

Breakfast is included for Platinum guests and above. Choice of Japanese set breakfast at the Michelin-starred Mizuki (reservation required), or Western breakfast buffet at La Locanda. The Japanese breakfast is served in a kaiseki-style presentation, and I recommend trying it at least once - how often do you have a Michelin meal for breakfast?

The hotel offers a number of guided activities, including an art tour and cycle tour that were both excellent and complimentary. The guided hike was also tempting, but unfortunately I wasn't able to fit it in my schedule.

Service throughout the hotel was thoughtful and personal, with one hiccup at the Lobby Lounge addressed gracefully and proactively (we did not complain or request compensation, but accepted the kind gesture).

The only fault I can find with the hotel is the lack of a Club Lounge. However, the breakfast benefit for Platinum members is a nice mitigation.

Overall, we loved our stay and would highly recommend this property for a memorable experience in Kyoto.
I've stayed in the Garden Terrace Suite. I cannot remember every being happier in a hotel room that had a zen garden balcony. The garden is about the same size as the suite. Amazing.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:33 pm

Thinking about booking an award stay here next spring for 3 nights for a family trip (2 kids under 8). Looks like the way to go is to book for 2 adults and then message the hotel about the kids later.

Currently only Gold, with no chance to hit Platinum before the trip. Would any of you Platinum members still recommend this hotel if you didn't have Platinum status?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by chunkalunk
Thinking about booking an award stay here next spring for 3 nights for a family trip (2 kids under 8). Looks like the way to go is to book for 2 adults and then message the hotel about the kids later.

Currently only Gold, with no chance to hit Platinum before the trip. Would any of you Platinum members still recommend this hotel if you didn't have Platinum status?
Platinums and above don’t get Lounge access so you’re not really missing out on much but I do like the RC Kyoto over the Westin Kyoto.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:53 pm
kkl

Only benefit is breakfast for plat.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:58 pm

Yes
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:22 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT

Just finished a 5 night award stay (will post on the stay shortly).. Over the course of our stay I saw 3 families with younger kids staying there, all seemed to be having a good time. The hotel is outstanding with awesome service.

Not sure what kind of room type(s) you are considering, but one thing to note is that we stayed in a Garden View King room while our 2 kids stayed in a Garden View Double Room. The Double room was about 75% larger than the King so if you are planning on trying to fit everyone into one room I would definitely recommend a double room. The double room not only had two doubles but a large flat chaise style couch that a small child could easily sleep on.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:29 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Hey guys, quick question if I may. I have a stay coming up here shortly. We will arrive from Tokyo via the bullet train (does that need to be booked in advance)?

My question really pertains to our last night. We have a 10am flight from Osaka. On that basis, would you suggest we spend the last night in Osaka, or is it fairly easy to find early (and reasonably priced!) transportation options from the RC Kyoto to Osaka airport? I imagine we'll have at least 2 reasonably sized suitcases for me to lug around, so want to try and avoid multiple train changes etc so early in the morning. I'm veering towards spending the last night in Osaka, but that said, feels a real shame to miss that last night at the RC given all the positive reviews of the property.

It's a 3-night stay, so even if we do go to Osaka for the last night, we'll still have enjoyed 2 nights at the RC Kyoto.

Cheers,
/JK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.