Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Portland Harborview, Portland, Maine [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Portland Harborview, Portland, Maine [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The count of Marriott and Hilton-family offerings answers your question.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:26 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
In a not-large property - 289 rooms - a decent proportion of gold/plats with 4PM checkouts kills 3PM check-ins. The property doesn't get an exemption from the benefit, however.

Persons not satisfied with the Westin in Portland can see a great example of Starwood market weakness (the sole Starwood property within 50 miles) and Marriott's depth in Portland.

an Autograph Collection property 0.6 miles from the Westin

a Courtyard 0.6 miles from the Westin

a Res Inn 1.1 miles from the Westin

In S. Portland and Scarborough (within 7.0 miles) one will find a FS Marriott, another Courtyard, a Fairfield Inn, and another Res Inn. Complain to SPG or take your business elsewhere. That Westin isn't such a prize that it can get away with nonsense long term.

Well, the Westin will be in the Marriott family too soon enough...
EdV likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:19 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bgriff
Not sure if previous posters got lucky or if policy has changed, but as of a stay over the holidays I was given $16 per person as the Platinum breakfast credit (with no top-up for tax or tip as some properties do). Mains like crabcake benedict or a smoked salmon bagel were in the $15-17 range, but you do then have to pay tax and tip on top of that, as well as for anything else (a cup of coffee was $4 per person). Similar to what a lot of other North American properties do but worse than what it sounds like was the previous practice.
Originally Posted by tvervenne
We stayed over the weekend of December 12th and still had unlimited breakfast. The lobster omelet is amazing! We had a total bill of approx 76$ and all waived, no tip included.
Yes, agreed, and not really complaining -- though I guess I should be more clear, it was not totally clear from the menu whether you could actually obtain a "full" continental breakfast for $16 either. At the very least I suspect you'd end up having to pay tax and tip out of pocket.

Interesting that you had a more generous treatment. The card we received did not specify what it was good for and we had the same waitress both days we went to breakfast so perhaps treatment varies from day to day or employee to employee.
During my recent stay, I opted for breakfast as my Platinum amenity. I was given a paper voucher that was good for $32 in the restaurant or room service. (I actually opted to get two entrees to go, eat about half of one, then save the leftovers for my meals through the rest of the day. )
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:21 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Just a quick update from a recent stay...

Breakfast vouchers are now a bit different. Still worth $32 per day but now the restaurant takes the voucher from you and you have to get a new one from the front desk each day. I don't know why they don't give you one for each day at check-in. It's a bit disorganized.

On New Year's Day the restaurant offered a brunch buffet instead of the usual breakfast menu. Not sure if that was a special holiday thing or if it's every Sunday. $16 for the cold part of the buffet, $8 more for the hot section. Wouldn't rival an Asian hotel breakfast buffet but reasonably good.

Upon check-out pay close attention to your bill. We visited Top of the East for 2 drinks one night but had two separate charges from the bar on our bill. The front desk agent was able to expand them and it turned out one was for $28 in drinks and $6 in tip, which is what I left, and then another was for $24 in drinks and $20 in tip. I don't know if it was an error, if someone else used our room number, or if a staff member at the bar was trying to give themselves a payday, but the very high tip makes the last one seem suspiciously likely. It was removed from the bill without too much hassle but still seems suspicious.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:36 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
bgriff's post just reminded me...I can add another data point as well.

As PLT, got upgraded to a junior suite. Fairly standard - king bed in bedroom with desk, TV (pretty brightly lit) and a living room w/door that had a couch, armchair, TV, and wet bar (somewhat darkly lit). Big bathroom with a two-sink vanity. Bathroom had two doors - one leading to bedroom and one leading to living room. Pull-out bed in the living room couch was decent; instead of flimsy mattress, it actually had springs.

Breakfast was the usual voucher.

I did self-parking this time. The garage is next door and connected via an outdoor walkway to the hotel. Basically, they code your key so that you beep in and out with your room key at the garage. Just pull a ticket on your way in and give it to front desk for their records. After you check out, remember to take a key with you; otherwise, you won't be able to open the gate! (They have a little box at the exit gate where you can deposit your key on your way out.)

Utilised the shuttle service to grab dinner downtown. As we were paying the check, we gave the hotel a call, and the shuttle came to pick us up in about 10 minutes.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:18 am

I had a recent stay here and it was pleasant.

I checked in at about 5PM. As a PLT, I was upgraded to a "preferred" room on the 12th floor with double beds and a bit more square footage than the regular rooms. I did not press for a suite upgrade but did ask if they could provide me with extra space since I was traveling with family (probably should have been more direct and requested a suite). At the front desk, they didn't really acknowledge status other than asking me what I wanted my benefit to be.

I went with the breakfast benefit which is still the $32 removed from your bill. If traveling with someone else this will just barely cover both of your breakfast choices and you'll have to pay for your coffee and juice. Despite that, I really enjoyed the breakfast.

I self parked for $25 per day. A previous poster described the process and it hasn't changed since then.

I also used the shuttle service and it worked out great.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:01 am

I stayed here again and this time picked up the junior suite on the sixth floor.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:11 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Updates

Wondering if anyone has any updates from the summer? Going for first time this weekend, staying here while attending a large beerfest in town and wanted to know what to expect. Still $32 total off breakfast bill as Plat it sounds? Is that only in C2 or can we take breakfast in lounge too? No lounge right?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:27 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by EdV
Wondering if anyone has any updates from the summer? Going for first time this weekend, staying here while attending a large beerfest in town and wanted to know what to expect. Still $32 total off breakfast bill as Plat it sounds? Is that only in C2 or can we take breakfast in lounge too? No lounge right?
Can't speak to the latest breakfast review question, but I can confirm there is no lounge in the "executive club that Platinum elites get access to" sense. There is a lounge in the "comfortable bar open to the public" sense on the top floor, but they don't serve breakfast .
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:34 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Plat breakfast voucher

So wanted to give update based upon my experience this past weekend. Was given 1 voucher for each night staying there with each voucher worth $32 as expected. ^ Had breakfast in C2 first morning and it was valid for anything - just $32 off the bill essentially. The lobster omelet was amazing btw.

Next morning wife and I weren't feeling getting up and I had noticed "IRD" on the voucher next to C2. So I called front desk and they confirmed that I could indeed use the voucher for In Room Dining, $32 off as expected no problem. So had breakfast in room while using voucher - that was a first for me.

Overall hotel was great. Love the lobby, easy to drive to, valet was easy (if pricey a $34/nt) and Top of the East was great for apps and drinks at sunset before going out Sat night. Was upgraded from basic room on points to a "Superior King w/city view". No suite as Plat and my SNA didn't clear either.... oh well.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:20 am

Just wrapped up a 4 night stay here. In four years of staying at this property at the very least quarterly every single year, I have watched this Westin go from great to good and from good to okay. What was once my favorite SPG property has now been replaced.

This latest stay is what will prompt my no return.

-Missed housekeeping requests twice in a row

-“Damp” suite riddled with HVAC issues that literally make the floor wet

-Incorrect food orders in Congress Squared

-Front Desk hemming and hawing over a Platinum late checkout request because “its their busiest week of the year”.

This property use to be the pinnacle of how to treat loyalists, but that has long faded.

As SPG gets swallowed by Marriott, I bid this property good riddance! What a shame!
EdV likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:27 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

I will be curious to try the Press Hotel now that it is all part of the same family, though I suspect elite treatment there will be yet worse, given that unlike SPG Marriott doesn't tend to be much of an enforcer of rules on their properties, and Autograph Collection properties already have a very limited set of elite benefits.

There aren't many other real full-service hotel options in downtown Portland, unfortunately. I guess technically the Holiday Inn is? And there are various small independent properties.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There aren't many other real full-service hotel options in downtown Portland, unfortunately. I guess technically the Holiday Inn is? And there are various small independent properties.
The Portland Harbor Hotel and Regency seem nice. I've never stayed at either, though.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I will be curious to try the Press Hotel now that it is all part of the same family, though I suspect elite treatment there will be yet worse, given that unlike SPG Marriott doesn't tend to be much of an enforcer of rules on their properties, and Autograph Collection properties already have a very limited set of elite benefits.

There aren't many other real full-service hotel options in downtown Portland, unfortunately. I guess technically the Holiday Inn is?
First, I would challenge your assertion that Marriott isn't an enforcer. It is very reliable in enforcing brand standards. The frequent complaint from SPG people is that Marriott benefits haven't been up to SPG benefits. That's a reading comprehension problem, not a franchise enforcement issue.

Second, I would ask you to think about what you want from a full-service hotel in Portland. Somebody to park the car? The Hilton Garden Inn on Commercial Street is valet-only. Restaurants? Portland is a great restaurant town with choices far above what its size would suggest, and particularly high concentrations downtown, in the Old Port, and along Commercial Street (where the hotels are located). Don't stay out by the airport - please.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:04 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

I notice (once again) that SPG is really and truly dead with respect to award nights at this Westin ... many weekends this summer there is no availability to use points, despite there being plenty of standard rooms available for sale in cash. Which would not have been allowed under SPG, but of course is now permitted under Bonvoy. A huge points devaluation, IMO, since weekend cash rates are easily $400-500+, which always made this kind of stay one of the very best uses of Starpoints.

To be fair, some portion of the standard rooms were at one point available as of when I had done some searches earlier in the year, so if you had booked early, you would have been fine, but not so much for latecomers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.