Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton Lake Tahoe [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz-Carlton Lake Tahoe [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat Amb
My family and I stayed at the RC for a few days last month on points, and we had a great time. While I don't normally expect any upgrades or recognition of my Marriott status at RC properties, we did receive a free upgrade to the club level. The selection of food and drinks was actually pretty good (better than others, such as the RC Laguna Niguel), and the staff was very friendly. My wife had very good things to say about the spa, and the kids enjoyed the games outside. Overall, this is one of the nicer RCs I have seen, and we will certainly return.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
We stayed at the RC timeshares this summer, which are 100 ft down the hill from the hotel (and adjacent to the lift). IMO the RC is the best hotel property in Tahoe - best staff, best food and nice common areas including a couple of pools. To be fair the timeshare units are quite a bit larger than the standard hotel rooms, but we still spent a fair amount of time at the hotel including dining. The drive to Kings Beach was pretty quick except on July 4 itself.

For ski season it would not make sense to stay here if you are planning to ski a few days @ Squaw as you are paying extra for ski in/out convenience. Better simply to move to a property in Squaw Village or the Resort at Squaw which is dated but has large rooms that are quite serviceable (and ski in/out with its own lift). However if weather is good you could easily drive to Squaw.

In sum I would definitely stay here again if I can find a good rate - and the convenience factor cannot be beat particularly if there are winter storms.
Old May 24, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
Any updates at this property? I am looking at staying during the summer and looking at summer recreation opportunities (hiking mostly) in the area as well if anyone has any input. Also curious if Platinum Members receive any consideration (or this new guaranteed late check-out) as my only other experience at an RC has been in San Francisco. Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:23 pm

Mini rant at the Ritz Lake Tahoe

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Ritz in Lake Tahoe. 2 adults, 3 kids (11, 8 and 5).

Rant 1. Several weeks prior to check-in, called the concierge to arrange for the house car to pick us up at the Amtrak station. Received a pre-arrival email about a week out without any indication of the house car pick-up. Contacted concierge again, and then received an email confirmation. Responded that I would be taking the Amtrak on train x arriving x:xx. Requested that they monitor the train status to see if I will be late. Arrived about an hour late, and expected to see house car waiting at station. And it was. Walked up and said my last name, and the driver was like "ah, your not Smith?" Nope, I'm not. Ah, not here to pick you. Well, Smith is a party of 4, you have 5 pax...we'll just squeeze everyone in. 1 rode shotgun, 4 in the middle seats and 4 in the back row.

Rant 2. Several months ago, reserved a suite via points with a paid upgrade to a suite. Day before check-in, received call from in-house reservation manager. Was told that my suite was never entered into the system, and that the only room available (for all 3 nights) was a deluxe king room. He was very apologetic. A rollaway and the "tenting" would be complementary. After check-in, received a call from front desk manager...he apologized and gave us $100 credit, and comp'd a night.

There were several other minor issues. Other than that (and the horrible storm on the way back), great hotel and staff.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:58 pm

Ritz Carlton Lake Tahoe - 45 day cancel policy

Marriott is very sneaky. The Ritz Carlton Lake Tahoe is going from 70k to 85k per night AND they now have a 45 day in advance cancellation policy. Especially annoying if I'm trying to time my reservation around a good snow season.

I've reserved this hotel before, and the cancellation policy was 14 days. Now 45 RIGHT BEFORE the category shifts? Evil Evil Marriott
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jesswright1984
Marriott is very sneaky. The Ritz Carlton Lake Tahoe is going from 70k to 85k per night AND they now have a 45 day in advance cancellation policy. Especially annoying if I'm trying to time my reservation around a good snow season.

I've reserved this hotel before, and the cancellation policy was 14 days. Now 45 RIGHT BEFORE the category shifts? Evil Evil Marriott
The 45-day cancellation policy is not across the board. There are 7-day cancellation policies in October. 14-day cancellation policies in December. It appears the 45-day cancellation policy is only for the peak of ski season. After ski season the polices revert to 7- and 14-day cancellation policies.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by jesswright1984
I've attempted to reserve this hotel before and it's been 45 days, over at least the last 2 seasons.

Vail Marriott - 2009
not realizing that their cancellation policy required 45 days in advance for no charge
You may cancel your reservation for no charge until XXXXX (45 day[s] before arrival).
They are quite sneaky if they started planning for this years ago.....
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:34 am

So we are here now, and the Mrs. and I were just discussing this resort. We came up to spend Saturday day hiking on the Pacific Crest trail, not for skiing.

We both agree, this hotel is ...adequate. Prehaps we are spoiled but the name Ritz to us means special.
There is nothing wrong with this resort, but nothing that makes it stand out either.

The rooms need a remodel. Old lamps with inline roller switches. Power plugs hard to find, no USB charging ports. Nespresso machine just chilling on the credenza. No power on the desk. Flat panel TV melted by the fireplace.

None of this is “bad”, its just...adequate

Its off season, and we are not the target market (ski people). If I wanted a ski in lodge I would totally stay here again, but I also have no other ski in lodges to compare it to. For a hiking trip next time we will probably look elsewhere.

We were recognized as Marriott Platinum members at check in. We were given a hand written card welcoming us. The staff has been amazing, and very friendly. $25 per day credit against the resort fee is included by virtue of being a Platinum guest.

The restaurant was really bad. Service was iffy, food was iffy, prices were sky high. Save yourself the hassle and enjoy the lobby dining experience.

Last edited by returnoftheyeti; Oct 28, 2018 at 10:32 am
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
For the price of the RC, I’d rather stay at the Welk properties right nearby. Gigantic 1-3 bd condos, and you still get all the amenities of the Northstar property. If you value proximity to the Lake, you’re better of at the Hyatt or the Marriott on South Shore -but then you’re at South Shore .
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:44 pm

Thanks for the report @returnoftheyeti

Been thinking about going up there for a night or two get-away with the Mrs. Truckee is a fun little town and do a little hiking. However, the report doesn't sound worth the $300-400 it is most weekends.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
It is well worth $300-400 on a ski weekend. But you'd be lucky to find that rate. It is not worth $500-600 per night, particularly as it is pretty tight for a family of 4. Agree with the comment about the Welk Resorts timeshare units, which are easily as nice as the Ritz timeshare units. But that will cost you even more.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:41 am

According to SF Gate this hotel opened in 2009. https://www.sfgate.com/g00/realestat...a=4&i10c.dv=14

Holy Crap, I would have guessed the hotel/rooms to have been 25-30 years old. Not 9. Wow. She has not aged well.

To compare, the Ritz Carlton in Dove Mountain opened in 2009 as well, and that property is WAY better. Dove Mountain has USB and power everywhere, great modern fixtures, the rooms are comfortable and bright.
https://dovemountain.com/2009/grand-opening/

My first report ignored a lot of items I really had just attributed to age, such as noisy air conditioning, but knowing that there are other hotels built at the same tme that dont have these issues really lowers my liking of this hotel.

Again, for Tahoe skiing, I am sure its great. Get Away weekends to go hiking, I am going to check the Hampton Inn in Truckee.

FYI: Valet parking is $40, resort fee is $38. The usual taxes and fees apply.

PS. It took 4 hours and 49 minutes to get to the RC Tahoe from downtown SF driving. I’d bet that I could be at the RC Dove Mountain in close to the same amount of time. SFO-PHX-Rental car. End “drive to Tahoe” rant.

Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:20 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Get Away weekends to go hiking, I am going to check the Hampton Inn in Truckee.
The Edgewood Lake Tahoe has been picking up steam against Ritz... I'm sure a re-model will be announced soon
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
If you stay on the club floor, the parking is free. They don't tell you that until you check out or read bene's of club. BUT they have lots of new kids and new manager seems out of touch. The kids are energetic and try but.... Example, tables not cleared for long time, forget to turn hot lights over buffet. I stay here every Christmas and this last may be the last.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.