Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

King George (Luxury Collection), Athens, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

King George (Luxury Collection), Athens, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:59 pm

Questions for an upcoming stay

I am planning to stay (late Nov. 2017) at this hotel in the "Classic King" room. I am SPG Plat and will be requesting SNAs for the stay. We will be two adults and two kids (7 & 8). I had following questions -
  1. Wondering if the hotel will allow 4 of us to stay in the room (whether SNAs clear or not)
  2. If I will be able to request a roll-away bed and if there is a charge for it
  3. If anybody is aware of a good rate code to use at this particular property
Thanks for your input.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:08 am

Love the King George

My husband and I just returned from a long vacation that started in Athens. We stayed a few nights at the King George and then took a cruise and stayed another night at the end of the cruise before going to Rome. This was my first time being in Europe with Plat status. I'd say the US has a lot to learn about what an "upgrade" really is.

For our first stay the King George upgraded us to a Jr. Suite with a courtyard view - which was pretty much a view of nothing. The room was lovely though, the bed was extremely comfortable and they left us champagne and strawberries, which was nice too. We took the breakfast as our gift and I thought it was spectacular (lots of choices) especially when coupled with the excellent service of the staff.

When we returned to the hotel after the cruise they upgraded us to a Grand Suite with a perfect view of the Acropolis, and once again left champagne and strawberries in our room.

Given the limited space I thought the fitness center was extremely functional.

I have nothing bad to say about this hotel. We were treated well, the rooms were larger than expected and comfortable, and the service was top notch. I thought I might be disappointed not staying at the GB, but that was not the case. I'd stay at the King George the next time we're in Athens without any hesitation.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: AC Altitude E50K;HH Gold, Hertz Gold, Amex Plat, Prio Pass Marriott Bonvoy Plat, Avis President Club
I am planning to stay 3 nights on March, 24-27 next year, and plan to book those nights with Cash + Points (6K plus $110 per night.) and I am a new SPG Gold, so please help me with these question: Gold member and with cash & points reservation, do we get compliment breakfast at KG?
I just found out that Sunday, March 25, 2018, is Greek National holiday ( Independent Day). Wonder if the crowd, the noises & the celebration worth staying at KG?

I appreciate any inputs
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Only Plat members get breakfast for free.

we stayed there and were given a room around the atrium. Very quite. A room with view of the Acropolis might get a little noise from the street, but not much. Great hotel and staff! More personal then GB, but do go there to have afternoon thea or drinks
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E50K;HH Gold, Hertz Gold, Amex Plat, Prio Pass Marriott Bonvoy Plat, Avis President Club
Thanks kevinflyaway! What a shame! HHilton Gold always get breakfast free.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by AsiaMission
Thanks kevinflyaway! What a shame! HHilton Gold always get breakfast free.
You could stay in the Athens Hilton instead
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
You could stay in the Athens Hilton instead
Yes, I plan to use my Hilton points for the first two nights at the Athens Hilton, and the following 3 nights at KG. I heard the buffet breakfast at KG costs 30.00 Eu/per. Look like we will have breakfast off the hotel then.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Any data points .... I’m Lifetime Plat, planning a 5-night award stay/points? August 2018. Is free breakfast given in award stays? And upgrades? Lounge or other perks?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Any data points .... I’m Lifetime Plat, planning a 5-night award stay/points? August 2018. Is free breakfast given in award stays? And upgrades? Lounge or other perks?
Breakfast, you have to take that as your amenity. It's a full buffet breakfast valued at something like either 30-40€pp. Great view of the Acropolis. Upgrades depend, I suppose. I asked for a room with an Acropolis view and got a deluxe or whichever category has a balcony rather than a standard suite which was also available. No lounge. Access to the GB spa next door is nice.
unclepants likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anyone heard penthouse rates?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by pewpew
Breakfast, you have to take that as your amenity. It's a full buffet breakfast valued at something like either 30-40€pp. Great view of the Acropolis. Upgrades depend, I suppose. I asked for a room with an Acropolis view and got a deluxe or whichever category has a balcony rather than a standard suite which was also available. No lounge. Access to the GB spa next door is nice.
No lounge at KG. Does GB have a lounge?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Was upgraded last year from a standard room to a standard Suite on the atrium. So no views of the Acropolis, but very spacious room. Also take the breakfast for sure. I think it's one of the best breakfast I had in the last couple of years. You can also order a-la-carte, next to the buffet.

GB Spa is also fantastic! You are able to use it. The GB has a little more grandeur, but I have to say that I liked the homely feel of KG.

One more thing tip; lobster roll in GB!

Enjoy!
unclepants likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

other than RC and asia, the more upscale the less likely there will be lounge/club
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:24 am

When getting upgrades are you guys asking for them or are they already in the system when you arrive? Staying here this upcoming June and am curious. Am SPG Plat and will take breakfast as amenity.

Also, any families stayed here with young kids? What was the best way to get here from ATH? I've read bus since most cars/taxis won't have car seats? We aren't bringing car seats.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, Bonvoy LTTit
Just stayed there

booked regular room, was upgraded to small suite. I like it quiet, so asked for an interior room (that viewed to a non used courtyard), perhaps thats why room better than one with view? Had fresh flowers in the room twice, they were changed. For sure you want to take the breakfast as your amenity. They have a big buffet, in addition to ordering anything off the menu, or making your own breakfast up, as I did several times. Further, the restaurant has a great view of the acropolis, nice to see every morning. I did eat at the same restaurant one evening, food very good. The sister hotel next door has a cigar lounge and their own rooftop restaurant. You can do whatever you want over there and charge it to your room at the KG. Found the staff to be super friendly and accommodating. Would happily return to this hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.