Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Guanacaste, Costa Rica [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Songer5
crparadise.com is a good company to arrange transport to/from hotel, as well as tours. Hat tip to VickiSoCal (12/12/20 Update: I just called the number on their website and the phone number is disconnected. I used https://liberiaairportshuttle.com/ instead and was very happy with their communication/service/professionalism.)

Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Guanacaste, Costa Rica [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Does anyone have an email address to contact this hotel? Thank you.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Any recent stays at this property? Reduction in benefits, etc I have a week reserved here over the holidays and am wondering whether its worth making the trip (taking PCR tests, obtaining local health insurance, etc) but we are all going out of our minds at home
Old Nov 2, 2020, 8:37 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Any recent stays at this property? Reduction in benefits, etc I have a week reserved here over the holidays and am wondering whether its worth making the trip (taking PCR tests, obtaining local health insurance, etc) but we are all going out of our minds at home
according to the what to expect site, they still offer elite breakfast and lounge access https://whattoexpect.marriott.com/sjojw
Old Dec 12, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Anyone have another LIR Airport to JW Marriott transportation company to recommend? The CRParadise isnt responding to emails and their phone seems disconnected.

I also heard that the police will stop you if you go 1mph over the speed limit there. Not sure I want to drive. Going for Christmas - New Years in a few weeks. Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 13, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Songer5
Anyone have another LIR Airport to JW Marriott transportation company to recommend? The CRParadise isnt responding to emails and their phone seems disconnected.

I also heard that the police will stop you if you go 1mph over the speed limit there. Not sure I want to drive. Going for Christmas - New Years in a few weeks. Thanks in advance!
The drive from LIR to the JW doesn't go through any towns and is pretty easy.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 8:55 am

I'm going to be there for a week over Xmas as well and then move to the Arenal area for an additional 3 days. We plan to rent a SUV for the entire 10 days.

Does anyone know if any activities like scuba diving, etc. can be booked through the hotel and charged to the room? Also, does the hotel accept Marriott gift cards? I picked up > $500 worth during some of the recent promotions.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 11:53 am

I'm going to be there for a week over Xmas as well and then move to the Arenal area for an additional 3 days. We plan to rent a SUV for the entire 10 days.

Does anyone know if any activities like scuba diving, etc. can be booked through the hotel and charged to the room? Also, does the hotel accept Marriott gift cards? I picked up > $500 worth during some of the recent promotions.
I used gift certificates when I was there a few years ago.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
I used gift certificates when I was there a few years ago.
Did you mean a gift card like the one we'd buy from marriott with a dollar value loaded on the card? or some specific gift certificate?
Old Dec 17, 2020, 2:29 pm

Did you mean a gift card like the one we'd buy from marriott with a dollar value loaded on the card? or some specific gift certificate?
Oops! Yes a giftcard.

I do go to front desk before checking out and have them apply my giftcards to avoid any problems. This way it gives them time to make phone calls or ask co workers if they are unsure how to process.
crazyhorse likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:50 am

Anyone else not seeing their Suite Night Awards clear? I still see them available to book. I wonder how occupancy looks next week.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 9:29 am

Anyone else not seeing their Suite Night Awards clear? I still see them available to book. I wonder how occupancy looks next week.
UPDATE: I just finished my 3 night stay (12/24-12/27). I inquired at check in about the Suite Night Awards and while they didn't clear automatically, the Front Desk put us into a Oceanfront 1BR Suite on the 2nd floor. Wonderful Elite treatment here, which I was very grateful for.

The property seemed about 33% full during our stay. Seats were always available at the pool and service was quite attentive for the number of guests. The ice cream shop (Waves & Cream) was closed and I didn't see anyone at the Sand Bar (lobby), but the other restaurants seemed open and active. I ate at Sabanero (steakhouse) 2x and Tamarine (Asian) 1x for dinner. Listed menu prices include taxes and the 10% service charge/tips which is convenient.

Breakfast for Platinum/Titanium guests was the continental at Tarmarine restaurant. It included a fruit bowl, pastries and a made to order omelet. I think they also offered gallo pinto (traditional rice & beans) but I always forgot to ask for it.

Cleaning wise, they were on top of everything you could expect. Everyone was wearing masks, hand sanitizers everywhere. They did everything you could ask for.

I transitioned to the Andaz Papagayo to get another flavor of Guanacaste, but the beach sunsets at JW Marriott will be sorely missed.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
March 2021 arrival

UPDATE: I just finished my 3 night stay (12/24-12/27). I inquired at check in about the Suite Night Awards and while they didn't clear automatically, the Front Desk put us into a Oceanfront 1BR Suite on the 2nd floor. Wonderful Elite treatment here, which I was very grateful for.

The property seemed about 33% full during our stay. Seats were always available at the pool and service was quite attentive for the number of guests. The ice cream shop (Waves & Cream) was closed and I didn't see anyone at the Sand Bar (lobby), but the other restaurants seemed open and active. I ate at Sabanero (steakhouse) 2x and Tamarine (Asian) 1x for dinner. Listed menu prices include taxes and the 10% service charge/tips which is convenient.

Breakfast for Platinum/Titanium guests was the continental at Tarmarine restaurant. It included a fruit bowl, pastries and a made to order omelet. I think they also offered gallo pinto (traditional rice & beans) but I always forgot to ask for it.

Cleaning wise, they were on top of everything you could expect. Everyone was wearing masks, hand sanitizers everywhere. They did everything you could ask for.

I transitioned to the Andaz Papagayo to get another flavor of Guanacaste, but the beach sunsets at JW Marriott will be sorely missed.
Thanks for sharing this. We are planning to stay there in March 2021. Do you know if the lounge is open and are there any evening cocktails in the lounge!

How about Kids Club/activities?

Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2021, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by ACC2008
Thanks for sharing this. We are planning to stay there in March 2021. Do you know if the lounge is open and are there any evening cocktails in the lounge!

How about Kids Club/activities?

Thanks
They weren't open when we were there. Hopefully by March, things open up more.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 2:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

When I was there a year ago (i.e., in normal times), yes, but it was a premium over booking direct with the company.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 7:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
We are booking for a week end of March/early-April. Hoping that the kids club and lounge are open by then. At least my spouse will have been vaccinated (teacher); 50-50 I am eligible by then given the shortages being experienced right now in NYC.
BTW, does anyone know what is the deal with the these $2/day car rentals at LIR airport? Scam?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.