Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Post 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected] om

Directions on how to reach hotel from airport, train station, or elsewhere in Venice: https://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsites/us/v/vcegl/vcegl_pdfs/How_to_arrive_The_Gritti_Palace.pdf

Closest waterbus stop to hotel: Santa Maria del Giglio pier Directions

Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2016:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...e-upgrade-1632
Print Wikipost

Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Post 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:33 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I was there three weeks ago and did not get an upgrade. I had the room I booked, an entry level room booked with points. I am titanium, and have enjoyed very nice upgrades in the past, including to the Rushkin Suite. On this trip, the hotel was completely sold out. I had been in touch with the hotel in advance to make arrangements for the water taxi and more. I had been advised at that time that an upgrade would not be possible. I checked daily in the week before my stay. At first, I saw a number of rooms that were superior. But as the week went by, there were fewer and fewer superior rooms til on the day there was nothing. It truly was a sellout. It is quite different to be in the entry level room. Of course the hotel experience is very special with the beautiful public areas and breakfast on the deck watching all the Grand Canal traffic go by. Concierge service is impeccable. But we did not enjoy the room. It was a bed, a desk, and a not so comfortable chair.
Thank you for posting this-- I was beginning to think they were upgrading every Elite!. We have only stayed at the Gritti once before ( back in 2007). As Platinums, we received a small upgrade at that time to a nice room (not a suite) with no views. We contrasted that with our best upgrade ever for the other half of our stay that visit at the Danieli to a huge Royal Suite with lagoon view balconies. For the next 10 years we only stayed at the Danieli.

We are planning to try the Gritti again next year. We will be there off season and we plan to apply SNAs. I am also Ambassador status now. I keep reading reports of amazing upgrades from other Ambassador guests and I suppose we will risk it. But it makes me nervous to know we could get stuck in an entry level room (we are planning to travel on points) The greatest loss to me from SPG legacy is the ability to book Specialty Select rooms on points at time of booking, which guaranteed at minimum a Junior Suite or higher if no further upgrades were available at check in.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I gather you have booked your stay before the rate went up to 85K. Did the hotel say anything at check in, or check out, about the point level difference?

Some hotels that went up in categories tried to tell the guests they have to pay the difference or worse, after they check out, refunded the points and charged the guests' cards for the cash rates... This seems to always happen each year when categories changed - often due to the hotels not understanding how system work, or the accounting dept personnel saw the points they were getting, were less than the current points they would get...

Just wonder if Gritti is handling the pre change bookings in correct manner.
nope, there was no mention of the points difference at all, and nothing else that they tried to charge us, besides the food we consumed and the Riva Yacht we rented. The check in was very professional, and she did what she could to upgrade our room despite being very busy.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdj84
nope, there was no mention of the points difference at all, and nothing else that they tried to charge us, besides the food we consumed and the Riva Yacht we rented. The check in was very professional, and she did what she could to upgrade our room despite being very busy.
Thanks a lot for the info.

We have 2 consecutive nights booked individually in 3rd week of Sept - had to do 2 bookings due to the available rooms were of different types. We have been in Venice a few times in the past and originally not planning to stay in Venice but it is a good starting point for a drive on the Italian Adriatic Coast (down to Pulglia region - the Heel of the Boot), so we finally decided to spend 2 nights before driving south. But due to my hesitation, when I finally went to book, the previously abandon availability had dwindled a lot... Gritti was not available on the day we would return to Venice. We booked Danieli instead. When I initially tinkered the idea of using Venice the availability at Gritti was wide-open. But I am not those who would book first then cancel later if not needed, meanwhile taking away the inventory...

Was the Riva Yacht a crewed one or a bare boat, i.e. let you sail by yourself? I assume it is a crewed one.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 29, 2019 at 4:31 pm
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
As for the increase in points for awards, the simple solution is to call Bonvoy fka MR and ask for an adjustment. They will credit your account with the difference in points and then pay for the stay at the increased rate. The hotel only sees the prepaid night so no need for a discussion.
My understanding is, this is only needed if the booking is a PA so you need to call Bonvoy to have CS to do exactly what you have said. For bookings already paid for with the old rate before change, you do not need to do that, though some hotels would get confused. I am glad to learn from jdj84 that Gritti handled it the way it should have been, assuming his booking was paid for at the 60K level before the level going up.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Checked yesterday for 5 nights on points. Booked Venetian room. Got a Venetian room. The hotel was indeed sold out yesterday. There are upgraded rooms for the rest of the stay and I’ve mentioned I have no problem to move but that did not go very far.

Otherwise, stellar stay so far.

Last edited by MD/DC Flyer; Jun 30, 2019 at 7:47 am
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:35 pm

Thanks a lot for the info.

We have 2 consecutive nights booked individually in 3rd week of Sept - had to do 2 bookings due to the available rooms were of different types. We have been in Venice a few times in the past and originally not planning to stay in Venice but it is a good starting point for a drive on the Italian Adriatic Coast (down to Pulglia region - the Heel of the Boot), so we finally decided to spend 2 nights before driving south. But due to my hesitation, when I finally went to book, the previously abandon availability had dwindled a lot... Gritti was not available on the day we would return to Venice. We booked Danieli instead. When I initially tinkered the idea of using Venice the availability at Gritti was wide-open. But I am not those who would book first then cancel later if not needed, meanwhile taking away the inventory...

Was the Riva Yacht a crewed one or a bare boat, i.e. let you sail by yourself? I assume it is a crewed one.
the Riva Yacht was a one man show. It’s just a small, but beautiful, wooden boat, which includes the driver, and a bottle of champagne for the fee
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:37 pm

My understanding is, this is only needed if the booking is a PA so you need to call Bonvoy to have CS to do exactly what you have said. For bookings already paid for with the old rate before change, you do not need to do that, though some hotels would get confused. I am glad to learn from jdj84 that Gritti handled it the way it should have been, assuming his booking was paid for at the 60K level before the level going up.
My 5 night booking was booked at the 60,000 a night rate, but I was definitely not treated any differently than a paying guest.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:23 am
azj

I had a 1 night stay last summer on C&P and as a Plat I was upgraded to a beautiful corner room that had views of the lagoon. I wish we could have stayed longer as the hotel was incredible as was Venice!
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:50 am

We're arriving for a few nights stay on 8/29 from VCE. I wanted to book advance tickets for a private water taxi to the hotel but not directly through The Gritti as to avoid their large surcharge. I have looked at the two recommended places to book, Venezia taxi and motoscafivenezia. However, when I put in our date it says Transfer date Sorry, but due to public events you can not choose this date. Not certain what these public events entail. Will I need to wait until we arrive at VCE and purchase at the airport and due to public events will this be an issue? I was hoping to avoid this step but will do so if necessary.
I would be very grateful for any advice from the experts or someone who has come across this issue.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by surikatina
We're arriving for a few nights stay on 8/29 from VCE. I wanted to book advance tickets for a private water taxi to the hotel but not directly through The Gritti as to avoid their large surcharge. I have looked at the two recommended places to book, Venezia taxi and motoscafivenezia. However, when I put in our date it says Transfer date Sorry, but due to public events you can not choose this date. Not certain what these public events entail. Will I need to wait until we arrive at VCE and purchase at the airport and due to public events will this be an issue? I was hoping to avoid this step but will do so if necessary.
I would be very grateful for any advice from the experts or someone who has come across this issue.
Why book a private water taxi when there are so many private water taxis available at the airport or train station?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by nologic
Why book a private water taxi when there are so many private water taxis available at the airport or train station?
Thanks Nologic for your quick reply.
We've never been to VCE. I tried researching this but all the posts were a bit dated. I am hoping they are all equally reliable or is there one specific area to book these?
But I'm happy to hear that it will be easy to just get one at the airport.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Lots of water taxis queue up at the airport for private (or shared) rides to Venice. No lines (more taxis than people). No need to prebook. Great way to arrive and see the city. Ask driver to take the scenic way.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by nologic
Lots of water taxis queue up at the airport for private (or shared) rides to Venice. No lines (more taxis than people). No need to prebook. Great way to arrive and see the city. Ask driver to take the scenic way.
Thanks again!
So, I then just go outside the airport and directly to the water taxis? Do they take.credit cards or must I pay with Euros?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Last year we used VeniceLink to book a water taxi in advance. They also have a meet and greet option to drive you to the port. Here's a link:

https://www.venicelink.com/en/products/watertaxi
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by JayeJ
Last year we used VeniceLink to book a water taxi in advance. They also have a meet and greet option to drive you to the port. Here's a link:

https://www.venicelink.com/en/products/watertaxi
Thank you JayeJ. However, that site doesn't allow me to book directly to The Gritti. I will most likely take Nologic's advice and deal with it at the airport. I am just curious if they accept credit cards when doing it this way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.