Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott/Westin Hotel Toiletries

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Marriott/Westin Hotel Toiletries

I noticed Marriott's Thann products are now made in China.

I've recently stayed at a Canadian Westin where the White Tea and Aloe products are still made in Canada. The Sleep Well Lavender Balm, on the other hand, has been switched to the Chinese version as well.

Do you notice the difference in other Marriott properties?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
The new ThisWorks (bad name, but I liked the smell more) products at the Marriott in Oakland I stayed last night were not made in China. I think they were MUSA, but I could be mistaken. (I just checked to see if they were Made in China based on a previous FT discussion.)
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:07 pm

Travelers turning back Chinese-made perfumes? Marco Polo would be very, very confused.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:22 pm

Could it possibly have to do with tariffs and costs of shipping? Canada has import tariffs on that sort of thing for ~7%.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
From my last couple of stays

St Regis Singapore Tianjin - Remede - China
Four Points Hakodate - in house brand - China
The Prince Gallery Tokyo - Byredo - Malaysia
The Athenee Hotel Bangkok - Thann - Thailand
The Ritz Carlton Jakarta - Purple Water - Czech
Westin Sydney Singapore Jakarta - White Tea - China
JW Singapore - Aromatherapy something - China
Sheraton Melbourne - in house brand - China

non Marriott hotels
Fairmont Jakarta - le Labo - Canada
Capitol Kempinski Singapore - Salvatore Ferragamo - Italy
Four Season Jakarta - Etro - UK if Im not mistaken
Kempinski Xiamen - L'Occitane - France (odd )
dimon84 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Came across the Westin Osaka online shop - thought it was interesting to see travel size products are made in China, but full size products are made in Canada. It also specifically noted there is a difference between the two products.

I am guessing the hotel amenities will all eventually be switched to Chinese made products.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:41 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
The latest This Works products I've seen (in a California Marriott) say they come from Somerset, New Jersey on the label.

Surprisingly, the Paul Mitchell products that I've seen in US-based Courtyards, Residence Inns, and Towneplace Suites (and I think Springhills and Fairfields) say that they're produced in Cortland, NY.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 6:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
When did Westin stop using the White tea and aloe scent and toiletries? Also, any idea why they would do this? The white tea scent seemed to be an iconic part of their brand with lots of marketing dollars behind it.

I was at a Westin recently and the soap was Pharmacopia and the shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel were the same generic Marriott-created 39 Degrees North that is used at Courtyard and other lower market brands. It seems very bizarre to me that Westin would use the same toiletries as Courtyard and RI.

Anyone know if this is just a temporary supply chain issue or a permanent change?
Old Dec 12, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: marriott platinum, intercontinental diamond
Toliletries

If I had to list the 10 most important things for me when I book a hotel room, the toiletries brand would be number 11.
sxpsxpsxp likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 12:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306
When did Westin stop using the White tea and aloe scent and toiletries? Also, any idea why they would do this? The white tea scent seemed to be an iconic part of their brand with lots of marketing dollars behind it.

I was at a Westin recently and the soap was Pharmacopia and the shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel were the same generic Marriott-created 39 Degrees North that is used at Courtyard and other lower market brands. It seems very bizarre to me that Westin would use the same toiletries as Courtyard and RI.

Anyone know if this is just a temporary supply chain issue or a permanent change?
The Westin home shopping site is still showing White Tea products, and it's the same product being used at Westin Montreal, so the assumption is the ongoing supply chain issue, or they are waiting for the large bottles to show up. I had Pharmacopia product at a Sheraton last week as well.

FWIW, Pharmacopia is being used at Hyatt hotels as brand standard... and also at Best Western.
DCFlyer0306 and cfabar1 like this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 4:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, American Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306

Came across this at the Westin BWI recently. The 39 degrees north awfulness was bolted to the walls so suspect this was a permanent change there. A shame as the recently renovated rooms came out very nice in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.