Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in or near Los Angeles Airport (LAX), CA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in or near Los Angeles Airport (LAX), CA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Hee Hee-well it was a toss up between the green/red/blue colonial floral print in most FS Marriotts,The loverly green floral in CYs,or the cool, tastefull,and very forgiving berber at the Ren LAX
Guess which one is the winner!
Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:47 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Well, I posted in another thread the problems with sound insulation in the newly renovated rooms here, but I discovered another nagging little error.

I used the way-cool check-in kiosk to get my room key (there was a big line at the front desk but no one using the kiosks). It recognized my platinum status and asked what I wanted for my arrival amenity. I selected the 500 bonus points, declined the $9.95 communications package, told it I didn't need a parking pass, and off I went.

You guessed it: yesterday the stay credited to my account with no arrival gift bonus. Of course this has happened (rarely) when checking in the traditional way, but I would have expected the kiosk to work flawlessly. Oh, well!
It's never fun - or polite - to chuckle at someone else's misfortune ...BUT...i just went through a series of exchanges with various members of the hotel staff, including the front desk manager, to get my 500 points posted. Finally, after 3 requests, email and a fax, they wound up giving me 10,000 points for my trouble...

so i would say...hound them til you get your points...
Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:55 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
I will admit that the thinning walls to fit an extra room thing sounds fishy, but it's what the front desk associate said. Given the utter lack of sound attenuation from the new walls, I would be willing to believe almost anything!
I stay at this hotel monthly...i find this hard to believe...i'm gonna ask next month.
The renovations I have seen are redoing everything in the rooms...not moving walls...
Old Sep 3, 2006, 7:38 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
I always contact MR directly and not the hotel if the points don't post or I don't get the 500 pt Plat choice or the points post wrong. They always correct it quickly. One call - done. All I do is fax the statment and it's there in just a few days.

Billy
Old Sep 3, 2006, 11:02 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
...They admitted that they have been getting TONS of complaints about noise in the new rooms and that the walls have indeed been made thinner in order to add--get this--one additional room per floor...
I find this a little hard to believe. If they were to rearrange the walls to allow for another room per floor, then they would also have to rearrange all of the plumbing and bath fixtures, which would incur a substantial cost that would not be recouped by the revenue of one additional room.

This does not mean I doubt your experience with the room and the soundproofing. I'm sorry to hear (no pun intended) this about the LAX hotel.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Never have had the pleasure of staying at the LAX Marriott, but, as someone who works with plumbing and electrical systems everyday, my opinion is the reason offered is bravo sierra.

It is possible that walls were taken back to structure and the contractor/MAR skimped on quantity/quality of sound insulation or, perhaps, stupidly, removed isolated studwall construction, if so equipped, to add a few more inches of space per room.

Pat
Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by camachinist
It is possible that walls were taken back to structure and the contractor/MAR skimped on quantity/quality of sound insulation or, perhaps, stupidly, removed isolated studwall construction, if so equipped, to add a few more inches of space per room.

Pat
Possible but I've never heard of anything like it before, even if someone wanted to do it I can't believe the costs would make it worth while to do for such a minimal benefits as "a few more inches"
Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:35 am

Lax Marriot/Renaissance Montura!!

I use the Renaissance frequently. I do not think the "upgraded" rooms warrant the increased prices. The room at the back are noisy due to equipment at the back of the hotel etc., and at the front you are on a flight path. However the staff are very help full, and it is tolerable with earplugs, and very convenient.
My coworkers really like the LAX Marriott, so I decided to be a "team player" and stay with them this past week instead of my usual haunt which is the Renaissance a couple of blocks away. They have been raving about the decor and furnishings in the newly renovated rooms, so I decided to give them a try.

I got upgraded to an executive king room on the 5th floor, which was certainly spacious. Decor is the "standard" new Marriott stuff, which is nice but not a HUGE step up from the old standard stuff. The big problem was the sound insulation, or should I say complete lack thereof! I could seemingly hear every guest on the floor opening and closing their doors, the ice machine being dispensed, the elevators dinging, and people partying at the pool a couple levels below. I am not exaggerating when I say that I have NEVER stayed at a hotel, at any price point, that was noisier. It quite literally sounded like there were no walls around my room at all.

The next morning I mentioned it to my traveling companions, and lo and behold they all had noticed the same thing but thought they were just being oversensitive! So I went to the front desk and left a polite written note for the manager asking if other, quieter rooms were available and saying that I would check with the front desk around 6:00 PM when I returned from my business that day. When I got back and checked with the front desk, they had no record of my request but the very courteous front desk associate found me a similar room on the 14th floor facing away from the pool. It did feature tired furniture and soft goods, but was silent in comparison so I was happy with the switch.

The next morning another coworker tried the same thing but didn't leave a note--he just spoke to the front desk. They admitted that they have been getting TONS of complaints about noise in the new rooms and that the walls have indeed been made thinner in order to add--get this--one additional room per floor. They offered to pack and move all his personal items for him to a new room, which he accepted. He, too, was happier in his older but quieter room.

So while I will praise the Marriott's customer service attitude, I guess it's back to the Renaissance Montura for future stays. Their staff is also excellent, but I don't have to worry about paper-thin walls.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by socrates
Possible but I've never heard of anything like it before, even if someone wanted to do it I can't believe the costs would make it worth while to do for such a minimal benefits as "a few more inches"
So, from someone who likely has seen the inside of many Marriott properties, any explanations for the sudden increase in noise complaints in the renovated section?

I gave my most likely scenarios, based on my experience in the construction industry, but I only work residential, not commercial.

Adding, having watched the construction by MVCI at our resort in Newport, and having stayed in the older sections (now about 7 years old) and new sections (finished as recently as last year), I haven't noticed a substantial difference in noise (horizontally, anyway) between the new and old construction. I assume Marriott builds to similar standards with their own construction subs at their hotels (of similar construction) and MVCI properties.

Pat

Last edited by camachinist; Sep 4, 2006 at 8:05 am
Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
So, from someone who likely has seen the inside of many Marriott properties, any explanations for the sudden increase in noise complaints in the renovated section?

I gave my most likely scenarios, based on my experience in the construction industry, but I only work residential, not commercial.

Adding, having watched the construction by MVCI at our resort in Newport, and having stayed in the older sections (now about 7 years old) and new sections (finished as recently as last year), I haven't noticed a substantial difference in noise (horizontally, anyway) between the new and old construction. I assume Marriott builds to similar standards with their own construction subs at their hotels (of similar construction) and MVCI properties.

Pat
It's quite unusual for the walls to be removed, ever, unless there is abatement occuring.....unfortunately I am at a loss to give an explaination ....except for the fact that the physical building is older and the standards I'm sure have changed since it's original construction but that wouldn't answer it either as if they did infact move walls they would have new standards used.....so hmm...sorry I have no theories that would hold water
Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:47 pm

Perhaps some members who have stayed in both the older and newer parts of the hotel could comment on floor/wall/ceiling coverings/treatments, which can have a marked effect on sound transmission. Obviously, it appears something has changed. I hope customers continue to bring the issue to the attention of management there so they can catch the issue before they have a hotel-full of noise complaints.

Pat
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Yes, I actually just e-mail the MR customer service center and they cheerfully apply the bonus points without me having to fax a statement or anything. I guess I should have dealt with the hotel directly in this case, as 10K points would have made up for the inconvenience!
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I hope customers continue to bring the issue to the attention of management there so they can catch the issue before they have a hotel-full of noise complaints.
This is what I hope too. They've already completed floors 1-5 and are working on 14-15. They had intended to do the top floors (16-17) next, but those are the suites and apparently the suite furnishings are late arriving so they had to rearrange plans on the fly. They're going to steadily work their way down floor by floor, taking care of the top two when the stuff comes in.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 5:27 am

What I was thining this morning when I was exiting my hotel room and my door was so loud it could have in deed woke up a lot of people on my floor (even while I was trying it to close less noisy): Can't they think of a door that closes less noisy? That would help a lot.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:19 am

Can't they think of a door that closes less noisy? That would help a lot.
Yes, it is known as a soft close hydraulic door. It uses spring pressure (or a nitrogen bladder in the unit) to close it, and hydraulic oil and an orifice to control the closing process. It can even be tuned to close quickly until the last few inches, where a secondary orifice takes over and slows the closing process, without reducing the force. I've seen such units in many hotels. Combined with a resilient receiver material (in the door jamb), a very heavy fire-door can close almost silently.

Of course, that costs money

Pat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.