Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Bochum Hotel (Germany) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
This property is horrible re: elite recognition. Expect to fight for what you're entitled to, based on the reports in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Renaissance Bochum Hotel (Germany) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MrSnoot78
I am very happy that now Sheraton Essen is offering a lounge and suite upgrades
Have you actually been there already? Suite upgrades at the Sheraton Essen are not at all common during the week (as probably half of the guest staying there are Plat - although I personally had a good track-record in getting one), and the lounge is one of the weakest lounges I know apart from US-lounges...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:03 am

I've stayed there last week and got a suite upgrade. But you are right the lounge is definitely a weak one and the breakfast there is extremely bad.

But in comparison to Renaissance Bochum it is a high end property with status recognition!
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I've gotten suite upgrades at Sheraton Essen (2 for 2) but lounge is weak.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat., HHonors gold, IHG Plat., Accor gold, IC Amb, Hertz #1 club, Sixt plat.
After reading this thread I did not expect anything when arriving for a 2 night stay at the Renaissance Bochum as a regular plat. member.

Now after checking out I have to say that my opinion and experience completely differs to what I read here. The stay was really pleasent, very friendly staff at check.in, got upgraded to exec. room, 1000 bonus points, free newspaper every morning in the room, plus 750 points per night or free (great!) breakfast (value 24 Euro). Did not expect that at all ..
The room was totally OK, a/c a little outdated but working fine. Bed is awesome, similar to a sweet sleeper bed.
Negative? The bathroom still has the shower integrated in the bathtub and the hairdryer is pretty weak. So nothing much to complain about.
Also the main restaurant offered great food served by friendly staff and nice local beer (Fiege).

Will definitely stay again when in the area!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:26 pm

Hi,

thanks for your post. What are the benefits of the Executive Rooms? As I remember the only difference is high floor, kettle and a bathrobe. There is no free water or anything else.
Is it still the same?

Thank you!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat., HHonors gold, IHG Plat., Accor gold, IC Amb, Hertz #1 club, Sixt plat.
Hi,

thanks for your post. What are the benefits of the Executive Rooms? As I remember the only difference is high floor, kettle and a bathrobe. There is no free water or anything else.
Is it still the same?

Thank you!
That is absolutely correct, "benefits" are exactly what you are saying. No free water and no welcome gift. For me not important as I always bring water.

Don't geht me wrong, this will never be a high end property but as I said much better than expected. Especially the free breakfast was surprising for me.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by krausolany
That is absolutely correct, "benefits" are exactly what you are saying. No free water and no welcome gift. For me not important as I always bring water.

Don't geht me wrong, this will never be a high end property but as I said much better than expected. Especially the free breakfast was surprising for me.
Free breakfast in restaurant is a published Platinum benefit if JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection, and Renaissance don't have a lounge. The Renaissance in Dusseldorf does the same thing. The Marriott in Bonn goes above and beyond because they have lounge and still offer breakfast in restaurant.

Last edited by seawolf; Feb 7, 2019 at 1:52 pm
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:47 pm

Yes ,thats right. But it was denied once for my +1. However I am Platinum.

Marriott customer service gave me a compensation of 10.000 point. I would never come back to this house.

Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Free breakfast in restaurant is a published Platinum benefit if JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection, and Renaissance don't have a lounge.
Thanks a lot for the explanation. Did not know that. Thought it's the same as in Courtyards where you get no breakfast. Too many chains and differences for me :-)
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Stayed here for 14 nights in Dec 2018 and for 21 nights in Mar 2019.

Pros:
  • Amazing restaurant (huge breakfast spread and excellent dinner entrees)
  • Fast room service
  • Beautiful lobby and bar
  • Generally friendly front desk agents
  • Accessible parking at all times (in front or in the underground garage)
  • Separate elevator for top floor rooms
  • Large spa/pool/fitness area (never used though)
  • Direct access to the Autobahn
Cons:
  • No elite recognition. When inquiring about a room upgrade, the front desk agent didn't comprehend what a room upgrade even was
  • Outdated-looking rooms
  • Sheets fairly rough
  • Shower temperature changes from hot to cold CONSTANTLY. Never had a pleasant shower here
  • No hotel store to buy snacks/drinks, etc
  • HVAC in general is not good. Poor heating and even poorer A/C
  • Espresso machine not good
I have another 4 night stay upcoming soon. I'll report back if I can think of any more things.
MrSnoot78 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by chemengin
  • No elite recognition. When inquiring about a room upgrade, the front desk agent didn't comprehend what a room upgrade even was

Some things will never change there...
Old Oct 6, 2021, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Just notice all 3 Marriott properties in Bochum have either permanently closed or switched to a different brand? Any information about this?
Old Nov 5, 2021, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by chemengin
Just notice all 3 Marriott properties in Bochum have either permanently closed or switched to a different brand? Any information about this?
The properties were sold from "Curator Hotelbetriebsgesellschaft" to the "Anter Group". The hotels should be rebranded to "Stays Design Hotels".
Old Dec 31, 2022, 5:17 am

Programs: AF/KLM FB Plat, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
The properties were sold from "Curator Hotelbetriebsgesellschaft" to the "Anter Group". The hotels should be rebranded to "Stays Design Hotels".
The hotel is currently listed on the Moxy website as "Hotel Bochum at the Congress" and will probably gain a makeover towards the Moxy Brand in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.