Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Bochum Hotel (Germany) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
This property is horrible re: elite recognition. Expect to fight for what you're entitled to, based on the reports in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2003, 7:12 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

Renaissance Bochum Hotel

I stayed the night 9 April to 10 April in the brandnew Renaissance in Bochum, just opposite the Bochum Stadion and near the Musical hall “Starlight Express”; thoe hotel was open in march 2003

The 174 rooms are small, there are also 3 Suites (I don’t know, how the look like); I missed a waste paper basket in the room.

In the 7th floor is the health centre with a Turkish Bath (with colour changing illuminating!) and the Sauna could be used, but the Sauna was a little bit cold (only 48 °C), but the staff does its best to rise the temperature to 80° C. Unfortunately some of the apparatus are damaged. I missed some soap in the showers here.

The lobby is spacious with some sitting areas; a bar and the restaurant (were in the morning the breakfast buffet is served – only tea bags were available )

My credit card was charged with 80 EUR / room, 12 EUR breakfast and 8 EUR Parking )in front of the hotel).

Reniassance Bochum Hotel, click on the Renais-sance Bochum Hotel

Jan
Old Apr 12, 2003, 8:19 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
FLYGVA, thanks for your fine report and pictures. You made quite neutral descriptions - but now I'm curious to find out if the Renaissance Bochum fulfilled your expectations (would you return?).
Old Apr 12, 2003, 10:33 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LH738:
FLYGVA, thanks for your fine report and pictures. You made quite neutral descriptions &lt;IMG SRC="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thumbsup.gif"&gt; - but now I'm curious to find out if the Renaissance Bochum fulfilled your expectations (would you return?).</font>
I think, I will return, seeing, just to see, if the problem with the sauna is still there and the waste paper basket is still missing (I told them while I am checking out) or if they learnt the lessen. I know that there are still some problems in some rooms. But I will also give the courtyard a try (after it has opened) and then decide where I will stay the following time if I a a meeting near Bochum.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:42 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Any recent experiences?

Hi,

Just stayed the weekend at this establishment, but I was really disappointed and am planning to write to customer service.

Rooms: I think that they were on the smaller side, in fact compared to other Renaissances I have stayed in, even in Brussels, the room was exceptionally small. (I would even dare compare it to the size or even smaller than a HI Express room!). No upgrades given at all. There was even no free water bottles provided in the room (I would expect normally one or two, not because I am Elite, but just because it is a Renaissance). No tea/coffee making facilities in room. No LCD/Flatscreen tv.

Elite treatment: None at all. No recognition or any special attention provided (not that it matters to be, but first time experiencing this even in Germany!). I enquired about lounge, but none was available and no compensation provided (not like others where you get at least a drink chit for one drink at the bar/night/room). As for breakfast, if I had not asked, would have not known anything, apparently breakfast is ONLY for the Elite member and second person needs to pay. Very very weird as it was not per-room like all other establishments that provides this. Furthermore, for breakfast, could not believe my ears when requested for anything else (cappucino, expresso) other than coffee, tea or hot chocolate, that would have to be billed separately as it was not part of the breakfast package!

Check-in/out: Check-in was normal.. (as above, nothing special at all). Check-out, since I was staying using up my Bonus Buck coupon, I was told that the room for the first night was free so, no points for it. On my bill, I was listed as checked in from Saturday and not Friday. They had a separate bill listing me checked in on Friday. When I insisted to have that bill also, they denied me of it. After persistence insistence, I was provided with that bill.

Overall: I was the least bit happy with the establishment. I have been to other Renaissance in Germany but this was the worst (even compared to all others).

Is this normal? I really would like to write to Customer Service.. but thought I will get some feedback here on above if it is normal or just me being exaggerating.. one of the worst hotel in the Marriott chain that I have come across, not just because of the Elite recognition, but just overall.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Two reports on Insiders that the property insists that the elite breakfast is for one only & has charged the elite for the second breakfast, and it takes a lot of time to get it credited back with the property still insisting that it's for one only. Might be a good idea to carry the T&Cs if staying here.

Any updates re: the property in general, elite treatment, etc?

Cheers.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
It is a terrible run operation. No recognition for elite-members at all, and a terrible attitude from GM down to quite a few staff-members with sending out insulting eMails to this PP-member after Corporate got involved. I stopped staying there due to this despite my project still running pretty close by and now stay at the DUS Ren - while older the service and attitude there is so much better that it makes up for the additional 30 minute commute by train.

Greetings - Dirk

P.S.: Be aware that the CY's in Bochum and Gelsenkirchen are run by the same management, so these two found their way to my blacklist as well.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Wow - thanks for the (unfortunately not good) input. I'll note in the exec lounge sticky that this property tries to charge for 2nd brekkie & to bring T&Cs.

Cheers.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 12:41 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Wow - thanks for the (unfortunately not good) input. I'll note in the exec lounge sticky that this property tries to charge for 2nd brekkie & to bring T&Cs.

Cheers.
I am very surprised that this has been going on for years and no action taken by Marriott on this property. After my experience some years back (was lowly gold) I have never booked this property even though I could get some better rate via LNF.
I remembered they even wanted to charge for anything outside the normal coffee/tea (e.g. cappuccino, etc).

I think all FT members should shun this property.

Cheers!
Old Nov 9, 2014, 3:09 am

I think all we can do is looking here or at hotel Reviews at Marriott Insiders.

The rating there is very poor at them moment.

The hotel is operated by Curator Hotels. You can find on the homepage

http://www.curator-hotels.com/1/home/

this:

We are an expanding hotel company with our main focus on the development of projects within the budget Hotel Sector and Limited Service Hotels in Germany and neighboring foreign countries
Thats saying a lot!

Thx,

Bernd

Last edited by MrSnoot78; Nov 14, 2014 at 6:00 pm
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MrSnoot78
I think all we can do is looking here or at hotel Reviews at Marriott Insiders.

The rating there is very poor at them moment.

The hotel is operated by Curator Hotels. You can find on the homepage

http://www.curator-hotels.com/1/home/
Thanks for the link! Now I am aware that this company also runs the Hampton Berlin City West. I had thought about staying there but now will avoid it at all costs.

Like others before I have been denied the second breakfast and received very poor (elite) treatment there. My recommendation is to avoid this property by all means!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:03 am

I had to stay there a couple of times. When Marriott announced that WiFi is free for Gold/Plat members (I think that was in Dec. 2010) they refused to give me a voucer for the Wifi or take it from the bill. I was told that they are "not participating" in offering free Wifi for elites.

I had to contact customer service and after a couple of mails/calls the Marriott sales manager for Austria/Switzerland/Germany was involved and gave me the feedback that I would get free Wifi at the Bochum Renaissance.

By that time I already decided to move to the Hilton in Dortmund (not a Hilton anymore) and commute like Dirk to avoid the Renaissance. Will never stay there again!!!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Tirreg
By that time I already decided to move to the Hilton in Dortmund (not a Hilton anymore) and commute like Dirk to avoid the Renaissance. Will never stay there again!!!
Interestingly enough I did just that on occasion as well, commute to the now-Radisson Dortmund...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Oct 10, 2016, 6:19 am

Has anyone stayed there lately?
Are there any Elite recognition right now?

Last time I heard that they are even charging the use of bathrobes..
Old Oct 11, 2016, 5:44 am

As terrible as always - no change to what has been reported here.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Oct 11, 2016, 2:21 pm

Hm, I don't know but I would appreciate if Renaissance Bochum would go to Wyndham, BestWestern, Novum Hotels or IBIS.
This hotel is under Marriott flag for 15(?) years. I think now it's time for a refurbishment or a change of flag.

I cannot understand why Marriott Holding allows Renaissance Bochum to react in this way.

I am very happy that now Sheraton Essen is offering a lounge and suite upgrades

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.