Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Twelve at Hengshan, Shanghai, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Now accepting reservations: https://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxur...ropertyID=3565

Opening rates are CNY 1,800. Not cheap.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 4:59 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond, SPG Plat, Accor Gold
Thanks for the information! I wonder what the hotel has to offer for charging such a high price which is clearly at least 500- 600 CNY more than the LM and the Westins in Shanghai.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
I've got a room booked for saturday night, with no pictures available we'll see how it goes but they are selling rooms at 50% off currently...I have a feeling they don't have too many reservations.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DurandilToss
Thanks for the information! I wonder what the hotel has to offer for charging such a high price which is clearly at least 500- 600 CNY more than the LM and the Westins in Shanghai.
Compared to the Westin, location, location, location!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alpen1
I've got a room booked for saturday night, with no pictures available we'll see how it goes but they are selling rooms at 50% off currently...I have a feeling they don't have too many reservations.
There is a Red Hot Sale in many SPG hotels in China now at up to 50% off.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
Looking forward to hearing about your stay!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Compared to the Westin, location, location, location!
What is so great about this location compared to the Westin? If I remember correctly, the Hengshan offers embassies, but the Westin is near the Bund which to many people might be preferable.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Nevsky
What is so great about this location compared to the Westin? If I remember correctly, the Hengshan offers embassies, but the Westin is near the Bund which to many people might be preferable.
It's near the Bund but not on the Bund. In fact, the hotel is in a sort of office and commercial area, not very interesting.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 1:20 am

Just checked in at Twelve , so far very happily surprised. Well staffed and very friendly, though they did say that occupancy is very low so maybe that's why there's so many staff that aren't busy. Rooms are interesting due to the shape of the hotel and courtyard, I booked the cheapest room (Deluxe) and was upgraded to a Courtyard room which is a 2 class upgrade, Premier is in between. Next up is Signature then the 2 different suites. My Courtyard room is right in the middle of the hotel which means that it's probably the smallest of all the rooms (Oval courtyard in a square building) so my neighbor's room is bigger than mine and his neighbor's is bigger than his and so forth. Haven't walked the property yet, will shortly but room is very nice IMO, well designed, classy and looks/feels expensive. Will get some pics up shortly and update after I've been here a bit longer
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

I booked the cheapest room (Deluxe) and was upgraded to a Courtyard room which is a 2 class upgrade, Premier is in between. Next up is Signature then the 2 different suites.
I am checking in on this coming Friday afternoon for a one-night stay. I will report back what the standard (Suite) upgrade will be for a Platinum SPG member.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:28 pm

Putting together a little review now...it's positive for the most part I'll say that much! Lots of pictures for all interested. They were completely empty while I was there but had a big wedding and quite a few checkins on the 2nd
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:29 pm

Programs: SPG Pt.
I saw some pictures for pool. It'a amazing. Probably the best pool in shanghai area.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 6:03 am
Original Poster

One-Night Stay

Just checked into the hotel this late afternoon. It was dark outside already, but the lobby was as bright as day. A lot of cameras and lighting around, as apparently, they were shooting photos/video for the hotel's promotional materials. Very, very noisy in the lobby area and quite a lot of chaos.

Checked into the hotel very efficiently. First question they asked was "What time do you usually like your evening turndown?" Never been asked this at checkin anywhere else before. Booked a cheap rate of CNY 1,260 (Red Hot Deal on spg.com). Had a slight discrepancy where the hotel said that this rate was +15% service charge, but the website had offered inclusive. The hotel said that they had this error on any reservation with the hotel prior to 04.Dec, so they will waive the service charge this time. Well, let's see tomorrow at checkout.

Offered one of three choices as the Platinum amenity: 500 points or breakfast or... I didn't even wait for the receptionist to finish her sentence; I just took the points.

Reception said that, as a Platinum member, I had been upgraded to a Courtyard Suite.

I was quite disappointed that no mention of other Platinum benefits were mentioned by the reception nor given to me in writing. I was lucky that I had contacted the hotel prior to my arrival and had inquired of all benefits already. This is what they wrote to me:
  1. Upgrade to best available room, including standard suites (upon availability)
  2. Platinum welcome amenity
  3. Welcome fruits and chocolates
  4. Complimentary evening cocktail from 18:00 - 20:00 in Lobby Lounge
  5. Complimentary in-room minibar, excluding snacks and alcohol
  6. Complimentary 2 pieces of pressing per stay
  7. Complimentary 2 hours meeting room rental in Business Centre
  8. Complimentary 5 pages B&W printing
  9. Complimentary wireless high-speed internet access in room
  10. Free local calls in room
  11. Unlimited download international newspapers
  12. Free late checkout until 4pm (subject to availability) ** NOTE: I intend to question them about this, since 4pm checkout should be a guaranteed Platinum benefit.
  13. Early arrival arrangement (subject to availability)

Got to the room, and had a welcome letter from the General Manager. The letter only mentioned the evening cocktail, but nothing else.

Room was ok, but not the "Wow" for me. I really wonder whether I got an upgrade to a suite.

Photos have been posted on Flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9312877...7632191919154/

Some remarks:
  • Looking at the floorplan, this supposed Courtyard Suite is quite small, compared with the other rooms on the plan, unless of course, this floor plan is not to scale.
  • Basic hardware looks ok, but the quality of some finishing used is not up to standards. For example, closet doors were already loose (hinges were loose). The doors to the minibar cabinet could not close flush; one door was hanging crooked already (again, hinges were loose).
  • Basic drinks available in the minibar, but no snacks at all.

That's all the observations I have for now. Will report back before checkout tomorrow should I find anything else of interest.

Last edited by Fly Me To The Moon; Dec 7, 2012 at 6:21 am
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:20 pm

from the pics, it seems the size of the room is similiar to the westin junior suites and much smaller than sheraton pudong.

wish you tried the plat breakfast option
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL DM
Putting together a little review now...it's positive for the most part I'll say that much! Lots of pictures for all interested. They were completely empty while I was there but had a big wedding and quite a few checkins on the 2nd

I'm very interested. I have a room reserved there for three nights in April, a room at Ritz Pudong, and a room at the Sheraton Hongkou. Your review should help, as I'm leaning towards the "Twelve".

Last edited by bsagator; Dec 12, 2012 at 7:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.