Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Twelve at Hengshan, Shanghai, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Print Wikipost

Twelve at Hengshan, Shanghai, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bsagator
I'm very interested. I have a room reserved there for three nights in April for 1000 CNY/night, a room at Ritz Pudong for 1290 CNY/night, and a room at the Sheraton Hongkou for 650 CNY/night. Your review should help, as I'm leaning towards the "Twelve".
Very different areas of both Shanghai and Pudong.

If you are visiting for leisure the location of the Twelve at Hengshan is by far the best.

If you are visiting for business do yourself a great favour and stay as close to the office as you can and certainly not on the opposite side of the river as commute times are gruelling.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Agree....and these seem like good rates for Shanghai.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Agree....and these seem like good rates for Shanghai.
Agreed.

1000 RMB for a room in Shanghai right now is an excellent rate.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: SPG plat,Hyatt Diamond,HH gold
I'm very interested. I have a room reserved there for three nights in April for 1000 CNY/night, a room at Ritz Pudong for 1290 CNY/night, and a room at the Sheraton Hongkou for 650 CNY/night. Your review should help, as I'm leaning towards the "Twelve".
How did u get those rate? Corp rate??
Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by yoshida_101
How did u get those rate? Corp rate??
Both Friends and Family rates, an advantage of living in a leisure town like Orlando.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both Friends and Family rates, an advantage of living in a leisure town like Orlando.
Typically people do not post rates here that are not available to the public (i.e. Industry rates) as it can get employees in trouble and/or confuse the public as to the price points of a particular property.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Very different areas of both Shanghai and Pudong.

If you are visiting for leisure the location of the Twelve at Hengshan is by far the best.

If you are visiting for business do yourself a great favour and stay as close to the office as you can and certainly not on the opposite side of the river as commute times are gruelling.
Thank you. It is the wife and I on vacation, and based on the information you provided and the pictures Fly Me To The Moon posted, it looks like we are going to go with the "Twelve".
Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Typically people do not post rates here that are not available to the public (i.e. Industry rates) as it can get employees in trouble and/or confuse the public as to the price points of a particular property.
These rates are not hidden, but I can delete them.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:02 am

Reviews are starting to show up on tripadvisor. They seem mostly very positive.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...-Shanghai.html
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyertalkbudda
from the pics, it seems the size of the room is similiar to the westin junior suites and much smaller than sheraton pudong.

wish you tried the plat breakfast option
The photo link didn't work for me. Flickr says "link doesn't exist, looks like you're looking for photos by mmklee" click on that and get "mmklee doesn't have anything for you."
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
Twelve At Hengshan Review (Avoid For Now...)

Just finished a stay there last weekend. While the grounds are very cool (especially if you have a courtyard room), and the room was quite nice - as expected at this price-point, the service has problems to put it politely.

1. The "mini-bar included in rate" shown on the Starwood website does NOT mean that the mini-bar is included in the rate. It means that 5 cans of soda WITHIN the mini-bar are included and replenished. All other items in the mini-bar are at regular prices. High-end hotels of that price point, especially several in China, actually INCLUDE the mini-bar in the rate when they say that the mini-bar is included in the rate. But this hotel says it is included, and then only when guests arrive do they find out it is NOT - only 5 cans of soda are included. That, Starwood, is NOT what mini-bar included means.

2. The staff entered our room after apparently delivering a second bottle of wine and chocolates which I understood to be an apology for the "mis-description" problem regarding the minibar, to REMOVE them. They literally came to the door and gave us another bottle of wine and box of chocolates, and then came in without us being there an hour later to remove it. No note was left. We had to complain about this and then we were offered the items back or cake instead...

3. We were not served FREE WATER in the lobby bar while working on our computers and were asked to LEAVE the lounge bar to sit in the hallway. The waitress told us that free water was not available and the table was for paying customers only. I informed her I was a guest of the hotel, to which she told me I must buy something to sit in the lobby bar....We sat there for 2 hours without being served water... The manager later told us this was in error, and apologized.

4. There was loud construction inside of the hotel on Sunday afternoon.

5. The gym is not finished yet - one entire room containing free-weights and other equipment is not set up yet. The gym is important to my daily life and I expected the hotel to have a full gym.

6. We called the desk to ask about redeeming Starwood certificates and the desk simply never called us back. I was later told that the hotel does not yet know how to redeem the certificates. Their solution: just ignore my inquiry.

For the price I paid - $150 per night PLUS 8,000 points, I would never stay again, nor would I ever spend 20,000 points to stay there.

For his part, the hotel manager did apologize to me by email after I wrote him a long email, and the front desk gave me a 500 point "amenity" after I called Starwood to lodge a complaint about the mini-bar bait and switch.

I've lived in China for 5 years and am quite sensitive about the bait and switch issue here.... so I do not expect it from Starwood.

We essentially spend our entire stay amazed at the service issues.

I will avoid this particular hotel in the future.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:00 am

We had lunch at the 5th floor restaurant today and we were the only guests in the restaurant for the duration of the meal (2 hours or so). Service was not polished and food ranges from poor to quite good.

After lunch, we asked for a tour of the guestrooms and were shown 5 different categories of rooms/suites. When asked, I was told that the Courtyard Suite is what Platinum members are upgraded to. The suite is quite nice - an oversized Junior Suite with 2 televisions (plus one small TV by the tub). The most basic room is OK, but try to at least get the courtyard room with a balcony (2nd category, I believe). Toiletries are Remede in the standard rooms and Hermes in the Suites.

We also toured the gym (it looked like it had a good collection of equipment) and the pool.

The decor of the hotel is quite stunning - very grown up, sophisticated and it fits the luxury category (unlike the other luxury collection on the other side of the river).

I'd imagine service is probably not up-to-standard 5 star yet, but I look forward to staying here in a few months. The architecture (Mario Botta) and interior design (Yabu Pushelberg) are top notch!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:45 am

Twelve at Hengshan (a Luxury Collection Hotel), Shanghai, China, opened 29 Nov 2012

this place will be down graded to a category 5 starting march 5th.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, RA, QF Gold, UA 1K
Twelve at Hengshan (a Luxury Collection Hotel), Shanghai, China, opened 29 Nov 2012

I was thinking about a stay there... Then LRM is going to be cat 4
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
Hope the prices come down too...Not worth the current premium over LRM or Westin. Also as promised (4 months ago) here's pics from opening weekend when I stayed: https://picasaweb.google.com/GeoffEw...eat=directlink
Good place, nice quality in the rooms but breakfast should be avoided (at least back then). Not sure what happened to huayuanstar but minibar was free when I was there, anything I wanted and they replenished items I drank even though was only there 1 night. Spa/pool/gym complex was incredible IMO the steam rooms, saunas, special showers, relaxation chairs, pool with regular, hot and cold pools and massage chairs!

We'll be back in Shanghai in April and although GM had sent me an email asking me to get in touch when I come back he hasn't responded so I guess I'll be at the LRM the whole time unless Twelve's prices come down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.