Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in South Florida [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in South Florida [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2008, 6:28 pm

I stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay prior to a cruise. They upgraded me to a fantastic corner suite with a wonderful view of the harbor and I could have spent the entire day and night looking out from the floor-to-ceiling windows. That probably would've been a good idea, because I didn't find anything special about the rest of the hotel; the parking garage was creepy and the surrounding area didn't look like a place I'd choose to walk around.

I had two rooms; the other one had the miniscule balcony (with great view) that jb2001 mentioned, and I agree that it was rather scary. I wouldn't step out on it. I don't think you could fit two people on it.

(They did run a very convenient shuttle to the ship for us the following morning, in case anyone is interested in this hotel prior to a cruise.)

I would venture to say the JW might be a better choice for you if only by default.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 8:00 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
I have stayed at both and would take the JW over the BB any day!
Old Mar 29, 2008, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, PC Plat, UA
Marquis NYC & CY Miami Beach rate question

Hi all,

I have a number of questions/comments that I would appreciate your views on. They could go in a number of the existing threads, but I thought it made sense to put them altogether.

I'm planning a vacation to take in NYC, Chicago & Miami and I've been looking through the threads to make sure I'm making the best use of points/cash. Some rates (see below) have gone up dramatically over the last few days so I decided to book all options and cancel the ones I don't once I fix my plans.

This is what I have so far:

NYC 30 Jun - 5 July. Either Marquis cash or CY Jersey City Newport points. If using cash I'll also be using PP/BB so need a Marriott/Renaissance

Marquis is $319 pn (1825 - £200/$400 in Premium Pounds). CY is 73k points.

There are a couple of things I would like your views on:

The Marquis was the cheapest until I realised they charge $20 per night for the second guest, thats the first time I've seen the second person charged? Does this seem right?

After going through a plethora of codes I found Z74, American Doll - looks like its about treating your daughter, (we don't have one or a son to dress up!) which has a rate of $287. I'm sure its a public rate for the BB, but how on earth can it be cheaper, you get a rolloway and a dolls bed to take home!

The Renaissance (pricier)/Marriott East Side (slightly cheaper) are other options, but really I didn't want to spend that much.

I'll ring customer services for their opinion, I would ring the hotel direct, but it'll cost a bit in the international call. Does anybody have a view on this?

5-9 JUL. Chicago - I will do the opposite of NYC. If I use points there, its cash here/vice versa.

9-15 JUL. Miami. I used points at the Marriott SOBE last year and loved it. This year I'm thinking of the CY Oceanfront, but here's the thing. On Tuesday, the rate was $115 advance purchase refundable. On Weds the rate was $125 weekdays, $145 Thu-Sun. On Thurs the rate had gone up again to $145 week and $175 Thu-Sun. I've booked it and will find BB for courtyard to keep the price down, but I'm suprised at the hike in the rate in 2 days.

I'd appreicate any comments you have. I'm struggling to finalise a plan so I can get flights booked.

Many thanks...David
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by DavidAnderson
NYC 30 Jun - 5 July. Either Marquis cash or CY Jersey City Newport points. If using cash I'll also be using PP/BB so need a Marriott/Renaissance

Marquis is $319 pn (1825 - £200/$400 in Premium Pounds). CY is 73k points.
I wouldn't come all this way to stay outside of Manhattan.

For your dates it like there are standard rewards (110,000 points) available at:
*Marriott Marquis (great lounge)
*Renaissance Times Square (lounge should be open)
*Residence Inn Times Square

If you use cash/Premium Pounds, remember that hotel/room taxes are about 14% in NYC on top of the room rate (actually 13.38%+3.5/night) and rewards nights include room taxes.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
Looking at the 'American Girl' rate at the NYC Marquis, there is nothing in the rate rules that requires membership or ID so using a Premium Pounds coupon looks good to me.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 2:36 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
According to the T&Cs, the American Girl Doll rate (Z74) at the Marquis expired on 12/31/2007. I was trying to use it this fall but never found availability. I guess I would caveat this with a YMMV to see if they accept the rate at check-in.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by bitburgr
According to the T&Cs, the American Girl Doll rate (Z74) at the Marquis expired on 12/31/2007. I was trying to use it this fall but never found availability. I guess I would caveat this with a YMMV to see if they accept the rate at check-in.
I just rang CS and they confirmed a couple of things, 1. There is no restriction, its a publicly available rate 2. that means I can use BB/PP as well. She made a note on the booking to that effect.

Bitburgr - you are right, T&Cs say 12/31/2007 - but when you look a the deals page its has the following:

Valid through: December 31, 2008
Promotional Code: Z74

I think I said I was planning 4 nights in Chicago, is there anywhere else anyone would recommend going (with a decent Marriott) for 4 nights which is a short(ish) hop from NY and Miami?

Thanks...D
Old Mar 29, 2008, 9:53 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
First, re NYC - I agree with previous poster - do not stay outside the city. Time, effort & dollars needed to commute in are not worth the dollar savings IMO.

The 3 properties you are listing are VERY different. EastSide is a lovely historic property, Ren is an EXTREMELY contemporary boutique hotel, and the Marquis is a HUGE bustling property. All are nice - read some of the threads and ask questions here before you book to insure you are happy with your choice.

The main reason I stay in TSq is for the theatre - I want to be able to walk; and we do a show every nite. If you do not have that criteria, then the EastSide OR the Brooklyn Marriott OR the Financial District are lower priced options that are quite nice.

I stay in the Marquis all the time, and never noticed that the rate was higher for 2 people - because my profile is set on 1 and I never change it. I have had as many as 3 people in the room and have never been charged.

Check your rates day by day. I am going in Sept, and found that on a day by day basis there was a rate spread of over $100 - it is a hassle to book the res that way, but for that kind of savings it is worth it. Your rates seem pretty good - we are paying $359 in September. All of these hotels are Cat 7 's - so if you can get in for under $300 you are doing well and I do not think I would use the # of points they want!

With regards to FLA - there MUST be an event - this is very definitely the off season for Miami - and your rates seem astronomical. Do you really want Miami in Jul - it is going to be HOT HOT HOT and there are lots of other great choices in the US -

If I can help further, feel free to ask -
Old Mar 30, 2008, 5:51 am

Thanks!

I called CS and they confimed a couple of things, 1. Z74 is a publicly available rate 2. because of that I can use PP.

They suggested calling the CY re the rise in rates, don't think it'll help.

Sophie, thanks for the response.

The Marquis is actually the cheapest of all the Marriotts/Ren during that time. Its also the only time I could get the code to work. July looks like one of the cheapest times to go (presume down to the heat?). I might drop to a single occupant and add another day. That way I can use another £100 PP.

Your comments re Miami in July are duly noted. Normally we go May and then again between Sept and Nov. Work commitments have forced us to a mid year hol, well that and cashflow. We moved house last year and the solicitors fees & moving costs were astronomical ($20k+ was unavoidable Govt stamp duty! then add solicitors and moving costs). We went away twice (Orlando/Miami and Jamaica) and we really shouldn't have.

Would appreciate any thoughts on where else to go. The plan is to split the vaction into City and Beach.

The current plan is: 5-6 nights in NYC, 4 nights in Chicago (using approx 80k points) and Miami 6 nights. Chicago is in there to

I looked at Hawaii (too far), Bahamas (MVCI seems to have gone). But we absolutely love the States. By far our favourite place.

Your thoughts most welcome. Thanks
Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by DavidAnderson
The current plan is: 5-6 nights in NYC
Not sure what the arbitrage is on PP (what you pay vs face value), but depending on how you value MR and if you're staying 6 or 7 nights might be getting close to where points could make sense in NYC.

Code:
			 Value/night (including taxes)	
Nights	 Points		 $0.01 	$0.0125 (Sample valuations of MR points)
1	 35,000 	 $350 	 $438 
2	 65,000 	 $325 	 $406 
3	 90,000 	 $300 	 $375 
4	 110,000 	 $275 	 $438 
5	 130,000 	 $260 	 $325 
6	 140,000 	 $233 	 $292 
7	 150,000 	 $214 	 $268
Old Apr 2, 2008, 7:28 am

Programs: Emerald Executive, Hyatt Platinum
Any good promo codes for Marriott's in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale?

I am traveling to Miami in two weeks and I wanted to know if someone might have a good code I can enter in to get a better rate.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 7:35 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Someone may be able to help you - but you need to give us a few more specifics. What hotels (if a preference), what specific dates, what codes have you tried?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:35 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Have you checked the codes listed in the Publicly Usable List of Marriott Reservation Codes thread? There may be some there that might be helpful.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: Emerald Executive, Hyatt Platinum
I am traveling from 4/17 - 4/20 with no specific hotels in mind. Just trying to get a better deal. I have tried some of the codes listed previously, but nothing was too good except for the Florida Power code which I am not sure if I want to use.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gqguy1480
I am traveling from 4/17 - 4/20 with no specific hotels in mind. Just trying to get a better deal. I have tried some of the codes listed previously, but nothing was too good except for the Florida Power code which I am not sure if I want to use.
The only other codes if none were worth anything on the Public Code list are those that arent on it and if you dont want to use the Power code you wouldnt want to use the others either.

When I went down a few weeks ago I also ran into no bargains and last week in LA was no different.

Bout all you can do is join MRs e-brakes and hope that something is offered the week you will be there , but the list only comes out on the Mon preceding the weekend. or simply put in MEB as the code, (at times TZO (travel zoo) has had some good stuff but nothin lately.) I wouldnt expect MEB to work till maybe teh week before or the Mon before

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.