Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Old Jul 18, 2005, 8:56 am

Programs: American Executive Platinum 1.5 Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5 *
Any damage to the JW Cancun?

Have reservations to go there Easter 2006.
If anyone has an update on the condition of the JW & or Cancun as a whole, would appreciate your comments.

Thanks,
Jetrider
Old Jul 18, 2005, 8:58 am

hopefully all is well as they were using it as a shelter..

plan to go there in the middle of august
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:21 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
The Weather Channel was there again this morning. Said damage was minimal to none and they didn't even loose power.

Hurricane hits a third world country and the don't loose power, hurricane hits Florida and some folks loose power for over 30 days. Go figure.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:52 pm

Programs: Ex Marriot Platinum, CO Gold
I'll be there at the end of august... Can't wait. Love the fact that their infinity pool is on the platinum marriott card!
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by ALARISstl
Hurricane hits a third world country and the don't loose power, hurricane hits Florida and some folks loose power for over 30 days. Go figure.

It's a bit of a stretch calling the 12th largest economy in the world a "third world country". With Cancun as one of the showcases/leading sources of tourist revenue, and having been pretty much built from scratch over the last 30 years, I wouldn't be surprised that it's fairly solid. And I think the actual center of the storm missed it by 30-40 miles - and Emily was a very compact storm. I bet power was lost on Cozumel, which got hit with the north eyewall, the strongest part of the storm.

Given the revenue from tourism, I'd bet Cancun will be cleaned up (relatively) and back to its normal self within a week or two.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat MM, UA MM 1K, MR Titanium Lifetime
Cancun is certainly no third world...I came across a mall at the "hotel zone" that had similar shops that lined 5th Ave in NYC. You will certainly pay the equivalent of "first world" for taxi, shopping and restaurants there .
Saw the shot on Weather Channel, just wondered what happened to the straw huts down by the beach in front of JW.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 6:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plt Prem, CO Plt, AA Gold
JW Cancun

I went down to the JW Cancun for the weekend 7/15 to 7/17. I was oblivious to the fact that a hurricance was headed that way until I had already checked in at the airport and was reading USA Today waiting for the first flight. The weather was pretty normal up until Sunday morning when it was cloudy and the waves were a bit bigger than normal. The hotel still looks good and the pool IS awesome. They upgraded me to a "JW Suite" which was pretty nice (I'm spoiled becase my first stay there I was upgraded to a beachfront full suite on the 2nd floor - SWEET).

I noticed the Weather Channel guys there Saturday in Beachwalk Rest with "WC" caps on. They chose the JW because it is a designated hurricane refuge and the ballroom is built to withstand a Cat 5 hurricane. The hotel did a good job keeping guests informed with info sheets under the door every morning and providing airline phone numbers, etc. They started nailing everything down pretty early though. All day Saturday there were no lounges on the beach even though the weather was pretty normal. They had guys crawling on the roofs the whole time trying to nail down any loose roof tiles.

I flew out Sunday at 1:40 PM on Continental and the airport was a zoo. Continental did a great job getting the flight out almost on time. The airport was due to shut down at 2:00 pm but I think they relaxed that a little so the 5 planes behind us could finish loading up and get out.

I love Mexico but I have to agree it is still Third World in many respects. The government decided that because of the coming hurricane they needed to suspend all liquor sales Sat, Sun and Mon (minibars thankfully "overlooked"). I got to the airport early expecting mass chaos and figured I'd have time to eat at TGI Fridays behind the security line. Once again, in infinate Mexican wisdom, all restaurants and shops were closed when I got there at 11:45. Thousands of passengers milling about and all the restaurants closed! I found a news stand open and dined on Pringles and Diet Coke.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 9:12 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by eduboys
I'll be there at the end of august... Can't wait. Love the fact that their infinity pool is on the platinum marriott card!
me too. i have had cancun on my list for years.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy TE(LT), DL DM(Retired) 1MM, AA EXP
Well, Mrs MawkSE and I were at the JW from 7/11 - 7/19 (That is before, during, and after Emily)... We stayed on the top floor (1442) with Club 91 - great experience and worth the upgrade fee to us. The storm started to move in SUN after 4PM, but 50% of the guests had cleared out by then. The Weather Channel and FOX News were both at the JW and all broadcasts we saw were based from the pool area.

The hotel staff did a great job of keeping us informed and allowed guests to stay in their rooms if preferred. They also created sleeping and dinning halls in the innermost part of the conference center. The only interruption of services was SUN evening (during the Hurricane) and until mid-MON where all restaurants were closed and no one was allowed outside a very confined area for safety. From 12a - 4a the wind speeds topped around 80mph in Cancun. Actual landfall was 60 miles or so south near Tulum. By Monday afternoon almost ever inside service area had been restored and Tuesday morning almost everything outside was open and accessable. The only exception would be some beach errorsion that I am sure the hotel and government will address very soon.

Marriott's CasaMagna did not fare quite as well. It appears to be older than the JW and did suffer some damage to the lobby, pool area, and several rooms. Nothing too serious though.

And last, yes parts of Mexico are 3rd World like - but Cacun is a great resort area that the MX government and private companies have invested heavily. I prefer it over several other Caribbean areas for a vacation destinations. But just like most of those areas, if you go off the tourist beaten path you will find very unwelcoming conditions and poverty.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 11:30 am

Programs: No longer traveling :-( HH Gold; AA Gold (1MM)- thx to FlyerTalk :-)
Hurricane damage to CasaMagna in Cancun?

Does anyone know if the hotel suffered much damage? I am taking the family there mid-August and would like to know what to expect. In another post, someone staying at the JW said there was damage to the lobby and pool.

Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2005, 3:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
A friend told me that there is no major damage, just alot of cleanup to do.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 3:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy TE(LT), DL DM(Retired) 1MM, AA EXP
I was the one who posted from the JW. Though the CasaMagna had 'more' damage than the JW, I did not see anything that would not be totally corrected by mid-AUG. My guess is that by then nothing related to Emily will be noticable at either property.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 6:48 pm

good to know.. i will also be there mid august

thanks
Old Aug 2, 2005, 8:55 pm

Smile need more info about club 91

I am also looking into paying for the club 91. At the JW marriot cancun it is about 340p/nt. Is this worth it? I read on trip advisor that you can't take food/drinks out of the lounge? This is my 15th anniversary and i am trying to decide between, the ritz 450nt, the hillton 200nt or the marriot? any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated, thanks CJ
Old Aug 3, 2005, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum, AA Plat, Hilton Silver
JW wins over Ritz

Originally Posted by cjmx50
I am also looking into paying for the club 91. At the JW marriot cancun it is about 340p/nt. Is this worth it? I read on trip advisor that you can't take food/drinks out of the lounge? This is my 15th anniversary and i am trying to decide between, the ritz 450nt, the hillton 200nt or the marriot? any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated, thanks CJ
I can't speak to Club 91, but having stayed at both the JW and the Ritz, I can tell you the JW is much better. Less stuffy, newer, fresher, nicer pools, and more eating options on the property.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.