Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Athens Ledra Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:37 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
I'm not so sure I'd agree with Nikolaos about the location;

The Marriott is poorly placed in that you do need to take taxis to get around (though they are cheap and reasonably easy to find one who speaks English). There is a bus stop within about 200m of the hotel but it isn't ideal unless you learn the numbers of the buses (or speak greek) so you could only use this to get away from the hotel and not return. The hotel recognises this with its own (hourly, €2/pp shuttle), but the hotel shuttle doesn't keep great hours (i.e. it finishes at 7.30pm, so no evening meal then back) and a taxi would be cheaper for a group. The hotel also isn't close to the port (though it is pretty much a straight road for a couple of miles to get there).

Personally as a Marriott or Hilton person (i.e. I choose one of these two brands if I can) I'd choose the Hilton as it has the airport bus stop outside, metro within 200m of the hotel and is much more modern inside. As such I'd be inclined to consider your alternative hotel if its in a better location.

I've stayed in Athens four times over the past 2 years for short breaks (1-4 nights) but only chose the Marriott once and probably wouldn't return unless it was significantly (30%+) cheaper. The hotel itself was outdated (e.g. no flat screen TVs in a large cabinet) and needed a refresh, though my room (junior suite) was nice in that it had a balcony with a Acropolis view and was spacious. The hotel also gave a free bottle of wine with a restaurant meal as a plat premier, which I thought was a nice touch. The rooftop pool is also a nice touch and the "value" aspects seemed to be pretty good - the room service menu was extensive, had lots of greek offerings but was still much better priced than most Marriotts (so €13 for a burger where I'd normally expect to pay closer to €20 in this type of hotel/city)

One final thing about the Marriott's area - all along the road on which the Marriott is based are strip clubs, I did wonder whether that meant that the area was slightly dubious after dark? I didn't notice anything myself though for my short stay.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 1:43 am

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
I see your point littlevoices. Since I grew in Athens, maybe I have different a view, not facing problems that a tourist might have!!

For this time of the year, a visitor will probably spend his time between the old center and the sea. Well, Marriott is right in the middle. If you stay @ Hilton and there is a strike then obviously you cannot go to the center plus you will find it very difficult to go to the sea as well (through the center). If you are @ King George, then chances are you will be stuck in the hotel!!

Right now when I go to Greece my desicion regarding where I stay depends on one thing; flexibility!!

As of the level of the hotels discussed I think King George is by far superior, with Hilton following and Marriott being third because of the issues you mentioned!

Some additional points:

- I love Galaxy, the roof top bar @ Hilton.
- Hilton is located next to the "aristocratic" neighborhood of Athens, Kolionaki (great place for shopping & coffee)
-Marriott has also a metro station 300m away (FIX)
-There are also 2 strip clubs right next to Hilton..
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the report. If I read the above correctly, the lounge isn't open for breakfast on the weekends but they give Plats bkfast buffet in the restaurant? Are there i-net terminals or free wireless in the lounge? I maintain the exec lounge/open closed thread, which is a 'stickey' in this forum, so would appreciate an update.Cheers.
Anyone have an update on the questions above? Thx.

Cheers.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 2:28 am

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
I loved this hotel when I stayed there in 2004. Eating and drinking on the roof, sitting next to the pool, and looking at the Acropolis was just awesome.

There was a restaurant nearby that I wish I had gotten more information about. If you go out the front door, turn left, and go about a block and a half, there was a restaurant with mostly outdoor seating, and some indoor as well. At the end of dinner, they gave me a shot of something. It tasted like butter, and warmed my insides from my stomach to mouth. I've spent 7 years trying to figure out what that alcohol was.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, United Premier Silver
Personally, I think the Ledra Athens Marriott is less than mediocre - location poor, service undistinguished, overpriced lounge if you want coffee, facility kind of rundown. I stayed there in the 80's when it was a new property (wonderful then) and again in 2009.

If you want a fabulous experience, great location and views to die for -- it's the Grand Bretagne. Worth every penny.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Any latest on this hotel

Thinking of staying here in November for couple of nights but am not encouraged by the posts here.

Has this hotel has face lift since 2011?

Any updates would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jul 13, 2013, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by pacheco18
If you want a fabulous experience, great location and views to die for -- it's the Grand Bretagne. Worth every penny.
And 3x the price..

The rooms have not been renovated, but still the hotel is best value for money in Athens for me, due to the lounge, the public areas, the restaurants and mainly the staff!!

It is true that rooms are in need of a renovation sooooo badly!!

PS: Stayed twice the past two weeks.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
you might wind up paying that 3X's price difference due to the lousy location of the Ledra vrs. the Grande Bretagne cited previously................

Originally Posted by Nikolaos
And 3x the price..

The rooms have not been renovated, but still the hotel is best value for money in Athens for me, due to the lounge, the public areas, the restaurants and mainly the staff!!

It is true that rooms are in need of a renovation sooooo badly!!

PS: Stayed twice the past two weeks.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
you might wind up paying that 3X's price difference due to the lousy location of the Ledra vrs. the Grande Bretagne cited previously................
Location is far from lousy; it becomes kind of shady at night, but it's in no way dangerous (I lived in the area for several years when in college).

Apart from that the hotel is a short walk (or a 3€ taxi ride) from the center plus it provides free access to the port of Piraeus and the seafront (where the action is during summer), in case of demonstrations!!

The hotel has its weaknesses (that I discussed above), but location is not one of them, in my opinion.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
perhaps there's a hotel kickback or just being taken advantage of but when I stayed here the local taxis that are parked at the hotel (trying to flag one down on the main road in front of the hotel was found to be dangerous) would demand E10 saying this is minimum fee for the short drive over to Syntagma Square/Alfarma area................

Originally Posted by Nikolaos
Apart from that the hotel is a short walk (or a 3€ taxi ride) from the center plus it provides free access to the port of Piraeus and the seafront (where the action is during summer), in case of demonstrations!!
Old Jul 13, 2013, 7:10 pm

For all FTers' information the minimum rate for taxis is 2,80€ in Greece (flag is 1,35€)! After midnight the double tariff should cost around 5€ to the center.

I have always stopped a cab from the street, but I will bring this to the management's attention next time I stay there, so they can inform guests!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Don't they still have the hotel shuttle that goes to Syntagma Square every hour or every half hour? Athens has cheap taxi fares, so it's only a few euros to/from downtown area to the hotel. If you are so inclined, you can probably take the subway and walk 10-15 minutes to the hotel as well.

The location around the hotel is not dangerous or seedy from what I could tell. In any foreign city, it is probably a good idea to be aware of your surroundings, but Athens in general does not seem to be a city where personal safety is threatened.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Time traveller
Don't they still have the hotel shuttle that goes to Syntagma Square every hour or every half hour?

The location around the hotel is not dangerous or seedy from what I could tell.
I was there in May & they had the shuttle to the square. Easy way to get to/from the airport using the airport bus.

It's not dangerous or seedy there, but if I recall, across the highway, there were some strip clubs or something.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 4:02 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sjlstewart
A cab to the airport costs 49E and can be charged to your hotel room, so Marriott points! I definitely will stay here again.
This is exactly what I needed to know.

For a one night stay arriving evening, getting flight to Santorini next afternoon, debated Marriott where I am Platinum and can use points versus new Sofitel at airport for $216.

Approximately US140 in cab fare just to get to and from the hotel for one night makes the decision easy--Sofitel it will be.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by travelexpert
This is exactly what I needed to know.

For a one night stay arriving evening, getting flight to Santorini next afternoon, debated Marriott where I am Platinum and can use points versus new Sofitel at airport for $216.

Approximately US140 in cab fare just to get to and from the hotel for one night makes the decision easy--Sofitel it will be.
If you are going to take a cab to/from the Athens Marriott, then the airport hotel would be the best option.

If you have enough time and don't mind taking public transportation, it is easy to get to/from Athens Marriott. The airport express train and/or the airport express bus drops you off right at the city center and then a short cab ride from there to the hotel. Total round-trip (train + taxi) would be 30-40 euros.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.