Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points by Sheraton, Sandakan, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points by Sheraton, Sandakan, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by ftrichard
They changed it then. When I stayed twice last year there was 90 minutes of free flow beer or wine with a few hot and cold snacks. I didn't ask about spirits. All the drinks were brought individually from the bar so consumption was regulated. I easily had around a bottle of white wine each evening. Maybe they changed the policy because of me...
I doubt that your consumption was the cause.

Each of the three nights we were here our consumption was 5-6 drinks for 2 of us. None of the additional drinks were ever charged. Also we had several different servers throughout each evening and I'm not sure anyone was keeping track of what was ordered even though we were asked for the room number initially each night.

Snacks were very limited and poor and while there was a rotation much was not really edible.

Refilling of Pellegrino and Acqua Pana occurred only once. The latter had been decimated for two days at that point. Getting a cappuccino one afternoon took 30 minutes from sitting until cup in hand. It was delicious however.

There were no glasses (clean or otherwise) for consuming liquids until the final night. We swigged sparkling and still waters from the bottle.

I might have pushed the wine/beer envelope a bit more had I known they were not being tracked... as it was all was fine.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
No more lounge. The room is still there but all that remains is 3 tables and a smattering of chairs; shades of a catering hall long after the event has cleared out.

Now you receive vouchers for 2 drinks per person (auto set at 2 guests) for limited wine/beer at The Beer Vault. They didn't charge for soft drinks either but I'm not sure if that's policy. Breakfast was extended to the second room and service was good.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Stayed here for two nights last weekend (May 2019), and very nice little hotel this is too. Good location, central in town and very convenient to get around with Grabs. Great views, very happy and would clearly stay again were we to return

Titanium benefits received were:
  • Points as well as free breakfast offered at check-in. Note breakfast is described as the best in the town / region (courtesy Lonely Planet) but was fairly "meh", however we were staying over Ramadan so this could have been the cause.
  • In general staff interactions were good, particularly at reception where they were very excited / positive about status and how they could help
  • Upgrade to a junior suite with a view of the pool from the cheapest room
  • A nightly free drinks coupon for two, that was two drinks per person (house wine, beer) at the restaurant or bar
  • I didn't need any late check-outs or similar, but no reason to think they wouldn't have been offered.
Considering the competition in the town this seems fairly solid. Best Brews offered live football/sport, plus live music on Saturday night, and the pool area / bar / breakfast restaurant had nice views. Definitely no lounge. Our room rate, including tax and tourist fees was less than 200MYR a night, so for the items above was excellent value.

Niggles:
  • No sign of the 20% off for Titanium members on food / drinks being applied that you often see in Asia, or they forgot to apply them and I didn't ask at check-out
  • It would appear you can order from any restaurant in any other, for example Best Brews doesn't have a desert menu, but they will order from the cake shop downstairs, plus the free drinks were done as a credit on the bill. This means the bill gets very complicated / long, for one meal in Best Brews I had 4 transactions (free drinks - refunded, two meals charged separately, plus the cake from the other restaurant)
  • Pricing is well out of kilter for the town, as you'd expect, but good by international standards. Drinks were 35MYR for a class of wine, similar (or even more) for beers, and food priced at around 35 - 50 MYR. There were happy hour prices at close to buy-one-get-one-free or extra glasses of wine.
  • WiFi was intermittent and occasionally stopped working (didn't disconnect, just stopped sending/receiving), solved by a reconnection.
ftrichard and SoroSuub1 like this.

Last edited by littlevoices; May 21, 2019 at 9:48 am Reason: Fixed currency per ftrichard's point on my typos :)
Old May 14, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by littlevoices
SNIP
  • In general staff interactions were good, particularly at reception where they were very excited / positive about status and how they could help
  • SNIP
I laughed at this. I don't think they get many elites. I, too, was greeted like royalty at the front desk when I arrived the first time and when I went the second time a couple of months later they were equally great and had reserved the exact same suite for me with the great view.

Can we clarify, though, that the prices you quote are not RMB which is generally used for Chinese Yuan and you mean Malaysian Ringgit which is usually shortened to MYR or RM.

Nice hotel and a real surprise to find something like this in such a minor town off the beaten track. I'm glad your report they're still offering a good experience.
littlevoices likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*

Washroom

Tub with Window (and blinds)

2x Double

Washroom View

Window View (night)
I'm surprised everyone got treated like royalty for being an elite? I was never greeted by name to the standard mentioned in this thread (or actually, not at all after check-in), not given any room upgrades (edit maybe I got upgraded from a 'deluxe' to a 'premium' room and from a 'mid-floor' to a 'high-floor'), got my free breakfast benefit (but others mentioned breakfast + points) and I wasn't given any alcohol vouchers for the Best Brew. Instead, given recommendations for a local restaurant on the waterfront (Harbour Bistro Cafe) where the sizzling chicken rice is meh.

Notes:
  • 24MYR for a GrabCar (6-seater) to/from the airport. The GrabCar both times preferred to take the coastal road instead of the highway.
  • 30MYR for baggage storage for a day (for heavy suitcases with dive equipment) for a day while we were in Pulau Selingan (Turtle Island).
  • The room itself.... the windows are not insulated, there is a gap between window frame and the part of the window that could open if it wasn't locked that let in a lot of outside noise. There was a wedding that night in that hotel, so I had called front desk at 1am asking when the music would end, but they said it was music from outside the hotel... well ok I'm on the 24th floor so that's some very loud 2nd floor karaoke going on.
  • I chose the room with two beds. They're currently listed as two singles, but the actual beds themselves are two doubles. The entire hotel is listed as max 3 people per room, but we easily fit four people and I don't understand why they have it set up that way.
  • Breakfast buffet spread was good, not as good as the Aloft in KL I had the previous day, but still good enough. There was some sediment in the apple juice that my SO had in her glass at the table and we were standing staring at it - they came over, apologized, removed the glass of apple juice, removed the container of apple juice in the buffet counter and the restaurant manager came over and apologized as well.
  • The office chair in the room was broken, one of the legs had somehow been bent.
  • There are no shower curtains in the washroom, as expected in much of Asia (but usually not expected at Marriott properties), so showering is just trying to keep the water contained in the tub area.
  • There were at least two tour groups staying at the hotel - a Western and a Far East Asian.
  • Paid 271.82 MYR after tax.

I'm glad (though also disappointed) to hear that the lounge was permanently closed, because I was freaking out as I was reading this thread that I had missed visiting it.

Full set of pictures here (including a lot of breakfast pics): https://imgur.com/a/a7at7hu

Last edited by SoroSuub1; Oct 30, 2019 at 2:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.