Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points by Sheraton, Sandakan, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points by Sheraton, Sandakan, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by estnet
Still no ug to suite for platinum?

I am at this hotel now. A full review will hopefully come later, but they still will not upgrade platinums to suites. One is available for booking but the front desk agent flat out told me that they only have two regular suites so only upgrade to their larger non-suite rooms.
Old May 15, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Update: Excellent Platinum treatment in May 2016

I'm about to check out after three nights here (primarily to see the orangutans). Now the Ibis Styles next door has been rebranded S'kan Styles it seems to be the only international brand hotel in the area.

I had booked the cheapest room (a deluxe room) on a discount rate using my Malaysian HSBC credit card so it was RM188 a night (+6% GST but no mention of +10% service so far). Frankly it's a bargain.

I asked beforehand and got a Your24 early check in at 10am and late checkout at 3pm. Checkin staff knew who I was when I arrived. The lounge staff knew who I was without me giving my room number. The breakfast staff knew my room number. It was a bit eerie but quite impressive.

The hotel is a good quality four-star business hotel that is being well maintained (the corridor carpet was steam cleaned while I was there - slightly damp underfoot one day). Location is excellent with beautiful views from the upper rooms and pool across the bay.

But what you want to know about are the Platinum benefits.

I got upgraded to an Executive Suite (daily rate from RM648) on the corner of floor 24 which gave views across the bay and of sunset over the mountains behind Sandakan. So, they do give suite upgrades to Platinums if they have availability. That answers that question.

Breakfast for two at The Eatery (standard Asian and Western buffet); "premium" internet giving 2Mbps up and down; six bottles of water in the room; pressing of two items a day, some grapes dipped in chocolate, 250 bonus points etc.

The big surprise here (for a Four Points and for the rate) is the lounge. Open 10am-10pm with free soft drinks and cookies. Then from 5.30pm-7pm there are snacks, beer and wine. Snacks are sandwiches and a couple of hot and cold canapés. Not really enough to replace an evening meal. Drinks are brought individually which limits consumption in practice to four or five alcoholic drinks maximum (I was the only one maximising this benefit). No complaints about this - I'm surprised there's a lounge at all and that it serves free booze in Malaysia at these rates. Staff very friendly and amenable.

Overall, an impressive and well-managed hotel and a good mattress run (since there's nothing really to come to Sandakan for after you've seen the apes) given the beautiful weather and setting.
Old May 16, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Overall, an impressive and well-managed hotel and a good mattress run (since there's nothing really to come to Sandakan for after you've seen the apes) given the beautiful weather and setting.
I agree. I like the hotel and rooms, but I didn't know they have a lounge and they didn't upgrade me to a suite (which was fine). It's certainly a bargain for the room rates, but it's rather inaccessible for a mattress run (great if you are using it as a base for the national parks and orang utans rehab center tho)

If I want a mattress run when I am in KL, my choice would be the 4P Puchong.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old May 16, 2016, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by nov11
I agree. I like the hotel and rooms, but I didn't know they have a lounge and they didn't upgrade me to a suite (which was fine). It's certainly a bargain for the room rates, but it's rather inaccessible for a mattress run (great if you are using it as a base for the national parks and orang utans rehab center tho)

If I want a mattress run when I am in KL, my choice would be the 4P Puchong.
"Rather inaccessible" is underplaying it. I was actually surprised that there was a hotel of this brand and quality in such an out-of-the-way place as Sandakan (though very happy to find it). Just under three hours flight from KL on Air Asia costing ~RM200 return wasn't bad. Although if it's sun you want you can get to Krabi/Phuket quicker and if it's a cheap SPG hotel with great Platinum benefits Chiang Rai is closer.

As for KL mattress runs... I'm afraid being an old soak I would avoid the FP Puchong as it doesn't seem to have a lounge (correct me if I'm wrong) and for a little more (generally RM300 a night) you can get the Sheraton or Le Meridien with their lounges and two hours of free booze which for two of you can be worth the room rate alone if you put your mind to it. There, that's outed my priorities...
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:14 pm

Just had a 4 night stay here so thought I'd add a few things since there are few reviews. We paid about $130 total with taxes by combining the SPG 3rd night free with the Citi Prestige 4th night free. Great deal for a decent hotel. We were upgraded to a sea-view room despite having no status with SPG beyond a basic member. The sea-view rooms are nice as they have windows on the side of the building as well as facing out to the water, all rooms do have decent views.

The pool is great, it was really crowded our first two days as they were national holidays, after that it wasn't a problem. The staff is friendly but I'd say just 'ok' overall. We only ate breakfast in the hotel one day, it was offered at 32RM per person net at check in. The mall the hotel is on top of is terrible but there is the McD's and Kenny Roasters. There is also a decent Japanese place on the ground floor (basic rolls were $2US, fancier rolls $4-5.) If you want really cheap food, the main market is next door and has lots of places to eat on the second floor. A noodle soup was about $1, a piece of fried chicken less than that. We ate there twice and drank their free ice water without ill effects. If you want to buy alcohol, there's a grocery store past the neighboring ocean-front restaurants.

The hotel was nice enough but I think it will age poorly. It's built cheaply and you can already find things falling apart.

Taxis are 30RM to or from the airport and we couldn't find anyone who would do it for less. Hopefully Uber comes to Sandakan soon. They have it in KK now and prices are about 1/4 of the local taxi mafia prices.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:56 pm

And I'm back after two months for a second three-night stay (my sister and family are in Malaysia on holiday for three weeks so I'm joining them).

I walked up to the front desk to be greeted by a huge smile and a very enthusiastic "Welcome back Mr Griffiths" before I'd had the chance to say anything. Now, I can't be the only orang putih to have stayed here in the last six months and I don't think that I stand out that much but what a great way to arrive at a hotel.

They were expecting me. They knew I'd stayed before. And they recognised me the minute I arrived. This is what the hospitality industry is supposed to be like.

They gave me exactly the same suite as before. And this time I paid RM166 a night (three for two offer) with all the same Platinum benefits. I do like it here. Just wish there was more to see and do in the Sandakan area...
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Morning Calm, Marriott Plat., Hyatt Globalist
Between jobs, I am thinking of doing a 50 night stay here next year. Would I be crazy to even think about this, or are there people doing something like this? It seems nice for the price, has a lounge for a 4P, beach view and pool, the negative being logistics: very difficult to get from Boston.

Thanks!

Last edited by lovexylitol; Nov 29, 2016 at 4:13 pm
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by lovexylitol
Between jobs, I am thinking of doing a 50 night stay here next year. Would I be crazy to even think about this, or are there people doing something like this? It seems nice for the price, has a lounge for a 4P, beach view and pool, the negative being logistics: very difficult to get from Boston.

Thanks!
Well, I'm sure you'd get a great rate if you're staying there 50 nights. I got RM166 a night (three for two) earlier this year at a point of reference.

The hotel would be fine to stay in if you're Platinum (breakfast, lounge with booze, gym, nice views, nice pool) but I have no idea how you would amuse yourself in and around Sandakan for 50 nights. It's a very local Malaysian town - quite run down and lacking in amenities. There's no beach or beach activities and the quality of Western-style food is poor. It's ok to pass through but unless you're intent on writing a novel in your suite I don't think anyone could recommend your plan when there are so many other places in Asia that would be same price or cheaper and not so isolated.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:30 am

Well, I'm sure you'd get a great rate if you're staying there 50 nights. I got RM166 a night (three for two) earlier this year at a point of reference.

The hotel would be fine to stay in if you're Platinum (breakfast, lounge with booze, gym, nice views, nice pool) but I have no idea how you would amuse yourself in and around Sandakan for 50 nights. It's a very local Malaysian town - quite run down and lacking in amenities. There's no beach or beach activities and the quality of Western-style food is poor. It's ok to pass through but unless you're intent on writing a novel in your suite I don't think anyone could recommend your plan when there are so many other places in Asia that would be same price or cheaper and not so isolated.
Yes the rates are great (USD 39 + tax now) and pretty much I was thinking of writing a book or improving my golfing and some other computer related skills.

However, could you also name some other places in Asia that could be better? I am also thinking of hopping around a bit, seems AirAsia is very affordable. (But not sure how carrying golf clubs around will work on AirAsia)

Thank you!
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by lovexylitol
Yes the rates are great (USD 39 + tax now) and pretty much I was thinking of writing a book or improving my golfing and some other computer related skills.

However, could you also name some other places in Asia that could be better? I am also thinking of hopping around a bit, seems AirAsia is very affordable. (But not sure how carrying golf clubs around will work on AirAsia)

Thank you!
Air Asia is very affordable and the route network is extensive using KL as your hub.

Most of the SPG hotels in Malaysia are considered cheap and good value (if Platinum) compared to neighbouring countries. The Four Points is the cheapest and best value with its lounge (interestingly the Le Meridien in KK a short journey a way is one of the more expensive at ~RM600 a night and I'd say is poor value for Sabah). The Four Points in Penang is near enough to Georgetown and Penang has a lot to see as a tourist with great restaurants. You could easily spend time there. In KL, the Sheraton and Le Meridien are frequently available at ~RM300 and both have lounges. Le Meridien tends to get more expensive quicker but it does have the best lounge in the area. With both the Sheraton and Le Meridien you'd be able to be effectively on "full board". No beaches around KL though (Port Dickson is awful). The Four Points Puchong would be a bit cheaper but no lounge and, well, the location isn't exactly buzzing. In Sarawak, I had a good stay at the Marriott Miri for around RM300 a night. No lounge but nice resort and good beach nearby with great food.

Outside of Malaysia, you should look at the cheaper SPG hotels in Indonesia. If you want a resort then the Sheraton Senggigi on Lombok. Or there are some cheaper places in Bali now including a new (it's a refurb) Four Points in Seminyak that has good rates. The Sheraton Mustika Yogyakarta is also cheap, good quality with nice grounds and in a very interesting part of Indonesia with a lot to see. It has a lounge too that will suffice for an evening meal with booze.

In Thailand, I can really recommend Le Meridien Chiang Rai. It's cheap compared to other SPG hotels in Thailand but the quality is there. Suite upgrades and excellent breakfast. Sadly, it's been reported that they stopped the Platinum drinks in the bar each evening. It was a real bargain when they did that.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:55 pm

Thank you for the detailed response! I will definitely check out and try to make a plan to go to many places. For the moment will be heading toward Singapore and Kuala Lumpur
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
.. I got RM166 a night (three for two) earlier this year at a point of reference...
What's the 3 for 2 rate? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

Am planning to do a week stay here in April or May. For work. So it's suitably appropriate for me. Has the Ibis Styles disappeared BTW?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
What's the 3 for 2 rate? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

Am planning to do a week stay here in April or May. For work. So it's suitably appropriate for me. Has the Ibis Styles disappeared BTW?
I believe it is the Z3H rate, also see availability for Z2H / Z4H and Z5H. Lowest for a random date in April I got is 180 RM. Also these ZxH rates are prepaid rates so might not be suitable for work!
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

The hotel would be fine to stay in if you're Platinum (breakfast, lounge with booze, gym, nice views, nice pool).....
Checked in this afternoon.

Platinum lounge benefits are 2 beers/glasses of wine per guest per night and no mention of booze. They refer to it as sunset hours even though I doubt we'll see any blue sky before leaving in a few days.

Food around this part of town is completely local (excepting McD's and KFC) which is fine. Seems that many recommended places to eat are in a newer section of town north side of the hill.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Checked in this afternoon.

Platinum lounge benefits are 2 beers/glasses of wine per guest per night and no mention of booze. They refer to it as sunset hours even though I doubt we'll see any blue sky before leaving in a few days.

Food around this part of town is completely local (excepting McD's and KFC) which is fine. Seems that many recommended places to eat are in a newer section of town north side of the hill.
They changed it then. When I stayed twice last year there was 90 minutes of free flow beer or wine with a few hot and cold snacks. I didn't ask about spirits. All the drinks were brought individually from the bar so consumption was regulated. I easily had around a bottle of white wine each evening. Maybe they changed the policy because of me...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.