Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by gokeeper
So now the best deal I can get is buy GF with 10% bonus + 3% cashback + 4 stay get 2 certificate mega bonus? Any other potential saving?

I am planning winter family vacation to FL, just got Marriott Gold from UA and want to give it a try.

Thanks.
Everything I know of is listed in the OP. Takes a while to read through, but worth it. Be sure to compare the AAA rate if you want to take the easy path, and mess around with LNF if you really want to get your rate down (albeit usually requires some effort).
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mooper
Everything I know of is listed in the OP. Takes a while to read through, but worth it. Be sure to compare the AAA rate if you want to take the easy path, and mess around with LNF if you really want to get your rate down (albeit usually requires some effort).
Thanks for the tip, just learned about LNF^
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Cash back when changing accounts

My wife is currently holding a reservation at a Residence Inn that we booked through Top Cash Back. If I have them change the MR number to mine when we check in will that mess up the rebate? Anyone ever done this?
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Michilander
My wife is currently holding a reservation at a Residence Inn that we booked through Top Cash Back. If I have them change the MR number to mine when we check in will that mess up the rebate? Anyone ever done this?
It shouldn't be.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

As long as the reservation # stays the same, I think (I'm not sure) it will be okay. It is when they cancel and rebook to make a change that it definitely breaks the tracking.

You might look to see if the rate you're booked at is the same or lower now. If so, you could just cancel and rebook under your account and not worry about it.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by mooper
As long as the reservation # stays the same, I think (I'm not sure) it will be okay. It is when they cancel and rebook to make a change that it definitely breaks the tracking.

You might look to see if the rate you're booked at is the same or lower now. If so, you could just cancel and rebook under your account and not worry about it.
When I checked the other day I could get the same rate, but the rebate was 5% when I booked and it is 3% now. Pretty sure if I cancel and rebook it will cost me the 2%.

Do they usually cancel and rebook to change the MR number?
Old Aug 17, 2013, 6:01 am
Original Poster

When I checked the other day I could get the same rate, but the rebate was 5% when I booked and it is 3% now. Pretty sure if I cancel and rebook it will cost me the 2%.

Do they usually cancel and rebook to change the MR number?
Yes, you'd lose the 2% (or 1.5% if you are using BC).

I'm not sure if they typically create a new rez when you change the MR #.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Has anyone had success canceling a Gift Card order? I could blame it on age (recently retired) but I ordered a $1,000 gift card this evening and forgot to add the AMT bonus to the order. I was wondering if anybody had experience with trying to cancel a GC order. I sure hope these aren't processed by another group over the weekend as I will certainly be very angry at myself for leaving that $100 on the table!
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by GoingGal
Has anyone had success canceling a Gift Card order? I could blame it on age (recently retired) but I ordered a $1,000 gift card this evening and forgot to add the AMT bonus to the order. I was wondering if anybody had experience with trying to cancel a GC order. I sure hope these aren't processed by another group over the weekend as I will certainly be very angry at myself for leaving that $100 on the table!
I did exactly the same thing last year. Called the gift card customer service as soon as I realized what I had done and they cancelled the order for me; no problem. Just make sure you have the correct order number.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:56 pm

You can simply just reply to the order confirmation email and ask them to cancel the order. I just happened to do the same thing 2 days ago, and it worked for me just fine.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 4:47 am
Original Poster

I ordered a $1,000 gift card this evening and forgot to add the AMT bonus to the order. I was wondering if anybody had experience with trying to cancel a GC order.
Been there, done that. You can call or email, but the key is they have to receive your cancellation request quickly, before they process and ship the card. Usually it's on its way in a business day or two, so if you ordered Friday, I'd reply immediately via email, then follow up with a call as soon as their desk is open next.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Updated OP to reflect 5% cash back from TCB until Aug 29th.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:03 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Current California promotion

Could have sworn I saw that Marriott was having a current promo on California stays Thurs-Sunday nights where you get a bonus 1500 points if you use the code. For the life of me I can't find that blog now. Anyone know about this offer? On the marriott site I see something for southern california, but I think the offer I saw before was statewide.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Red259
Could have sworn I saw that Marriott was having a current promo on California stays Thurs-Sunday nights where you get a bonus 1500 points if you use the code. For the life of me I can't find that blog now. Anyone know about this offer? On the marriott site I see something for southern california, but I think the offer I saw before was statewide.
Maybe a targeted offer under your Promotions Central section? Similar promos often run alongside Megabonus offers.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Diamond
On TCB, it says max 8 transactions in a 1 day period. Does that mean 24 hours from my last click or after 12AM their time? I booked the max per day but not exactly 24 hours time period. So 11PM one day I made 8 reservations and the next day 10PM I made an additional 8.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.