Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2021, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Is there an issue with people posting which property they’ve had success buying them?
Old May 28, 2021, 6:36 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Is there an issue with people posting which property they’ve had success buying them?
Given how many I called or visited until I found one, I'd like to minimize the chances that they've run out the next time I need to buy one because I didn't have any cash stays booked in time
Old May 30, 2021, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Well, I may have found out why Mr Rebates is not posting on a lot of my reservations.

Just got this response today.
It looks like this order was paid for by gift card? As explained in our Terms, orders paid for by store credit / gift card will void cash back rebate.
I guess I'm better off sticking to the 20-25% off gift cards than the 2% cash back from Mr Rebates.

However, I'd like to point out that I submitted an identical BRG for my friend's room, and I know he paid with a credit card and there was no cash back paid, so I'll go ahead and submit the request for that. (My friend gives me his account # and password so I can make the reservation and submit the BRG for him.)
Old May 30, 2021, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Well, I may have found out why Mr Rebates is not posting on a lot of my reservations.

Just got this response today.

I guess I'm better off sticking to the 20-25% off gift cards than the 2% cash back from Mr Rebates.

However, I'd like to point out that I submitted an identical BRG for my friend's room, and I know he paid with a credit card and there was no cash back paid, so I'll go ahead and submit the request for that. (My friend gives me his account # and password so I can make the reservation and submit the BRG for him.)
I have always gotten cashback when paying with gift cards. Will stick w/ TCB, sounds like Mrrebates is difficult w/ Marriot right now
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 7:20 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
Topcashback.com is up to 6%
Old Sep 14, 2021, 7:13 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Anyone have a list of properties that sell Marriott gift cards?

Edit: I have an old list if anyone is interested but I doubt it's up to date

Last edited by WasKnown; Sep 14, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Old Sep 23, 2021, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
TCB at 7% today. Definitely time for some bookings! 7% worldwide is really good
margarita girl and reggiekush like this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:36 am

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
Surprised to see it at 6% today after the 7% yesterday!
Old Oct 3, 2021, 2:13 pm

is it confirmed that the Amex deal, $50 off $250, works if you buy a gift card in person at a hotel? Did someone do this recently and it worked?
Old Oct 3, 2021, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by xPrest1ge
is it confirmed that the Amex deal, $50 off $250, works if you buy a gift card in person at a hotel? Did someone do this recently and it worked?
Yes.
xPrest1ge likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Please Delete

Last edited by arcticflier; Oct 3, 2021 at 2:38 pm
Old Oct 3, 2021, 2:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
What link?

Thanks

Is this only when using a registered AmEx Credit Card?

Last edited by arcticflier; Oct 3, 2021 at 2:39 pm
Old Oct 3, 2021, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arcticflier
What link?

Thanks

Is this only when using a registered AmEx Credit Card?
Yes. Starts at post #176.

Spend $300 get $60 back (and various similar offers) - Amex sync Marriott offer
xPrest1ge likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
So even though the terms say gift cards excluded, it works? Is it because there’s no way of Amex knowing what you bought?

Does anyone know of any locations in the Chicago area that sells cards?

Last edited by xPrest1ge; Oct 3, 2021 at 6:13 pm Reason: add a question
Old Oct 3, 2021, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So even though the terms say gift cards excluded, it works? Is it because there’s no way of Amex knowing what you bought?

Does anyone know of any locations in the Chicago area that sells cards?
It works as long as you are purchasing gift cards from a hotel and not online.

The best way to find out who carries gift cards (if no one here can help you) is to call around to properties in the area you are looking for. I live in Toronto and managed to find properties in Hawaii, Texas, Florida, New York and New Jersey by picking up a phone and making a bunch of calls.

Granted there are far more properties who don’t have cards than do, so it just takes time. Good luck!
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.