Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel (Orchard Road) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel (Orchard Road) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
This is when I'd take the two-category upgrade then once I'm in the room call and ask for the manager on duty. If we don't push back the next guy suffers.
Good strategy, especially in Singapore where FDA's seem to think that upgrades would result in a hit to their own pocketbook.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:14 pm

Another point to ponder about is, are local going for staycation being treated differently from tourist from overseas. I had pratically 0 suite upgrade for all my local stays despite asking nicely each time during check in and app is showing availability. My overseas stays however yield better results with suite upgrade. Or maybe it's just my luck!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by calbino
Another point to ponder about is, are local going for staycation being treated differently from tourist from overseas. I had pratically 0 suite upgrade for all my local stays despite asking nicely each time during check in and app is showing availability. My overseas stays however yield better results with suite upgrade. Or maybe it's just my luck!
I don't know if it will continue after August, but legacy Marriott has a mini-program in Asia-Pacific called Club Marriott. It's aimed mostly at locals wanting a dining loyalty program, though it also has marginal hotel benefits. See here: https://www.myclubmarriott.com/.

Many of the Marriott properties in Asia-Pacific, including the Marriott on Orchard Road in Singapore, have great dining options that are popular with locals. This is unlike North America, where many or most hotel restaurants are only frequented by business travelers with no other options or hotel guests who don't want to leave the property.

I would hope a Marriott Rewards platinum or platinum-premier would take precedence over a Club Marriott member, but you never know.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: MH, CX Marco Polo Silver
So I guess I was really an a hole then? hustle all the way to get what I want... Even though I was punished to stay in lounge for few hours before I can got to my room.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
My overseas stays however yield better results with suite upgrade. Or maybe it's just my luck!
I'd wager it's just Singapore. Not the best destination for free upgrades.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd wager it's just Singapore. Not the best destination for free upgrades.
Singapore has, until recently, had only one Marriott property. The new South Beach JW Marriott does not compare to the Marriott Tang Plaza, either in terms of location or amenities. As a result, suite upgrades at Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza have always been like gold dust! They only have a few Junior Suites and the rest are 2-bedroom suites.

I have been lucky, for the past 20 years, to have a personal relationship with the senior executive team, and this is the only reason that I score a suite upgrade on almost every occasion. If you are only an occasional visitor to Singapore then you will, more than likely, only get "upgraded" to a CL room or a Premier Room (slightly larger than standard, and in the last corner of the "circle" that is the hotel floor layout). I stay at this hotel at least 20 times a year, so I guess "loyalty pays"........
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Thaikwai
If you are only an occasional visitor to Singapore then you will, more than likely, only get "upgraded" to a CL room or a Premier Room (slightly larger than standard, and in the last corner of the "circle" that is the hotel floor layout).
I would have been happy with a clean room when I stayed at the hotel as a PP. The room being small, on a low floor and close to other buildings blocking any sort of view was not ideal, but the fact the room was filthy, which I complained about at the time and posted pics on this thread, was inexcusable.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I would have been happy with a clean room when I stayed at the hotel as a PP. The room being small, on a low floor and close to other buildings blocking any sort of view was not ideal, but the fact the room was filthy, which I complained about at the time and posted pics on this thread, was inexcusable.
That is inexcusable, I agree, but also completely out of character for this property. Must have been a bad hoover day.......
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Originally Posted by Thaikwai
Singapore has, until recently, had only one Marriott property. The new South Beach JW Marriott does not compare to the Marriott Tang Plaza, either in terms of location or amenities. As a result, suite upgrades at Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza have always been like gold dust! They only have a few Junior Suites and the rest are 2-bedroom suites.

I have been lucky, for the past 20 years, to have a personal relationship with the senior executive team, and this is the only reason that I score a suite upgrade on almost every occasion. If you are only an occasional visitor to Singapore then you will, more than likely, only get "upgraded" to a CL room or a Premier Room (slightly larger than standard, and in the last corner of the "circle" that is the hotel floor layout). I stay at this hotel at least 20 times a year, so I guess "loyalty pays"........
You don't say but what happened to me just now is a new low. I have just had my SNA cleared into an Executive Suite this afternoon but not before long they downgraded it to an Executive Club room. I have emailed them and asked what their deal is. Are they not familiar with how SNA works?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Are they not familiar with how SNA works?
Unfortunately this is how SNAs often work now. It's the wild wild west out there. If you contact the property, they may move you back to the suite.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
Unfortunately this is how SNAs often work now. It's the wild wild west out there. If you contact the property, they may move you back to the suite.
Is it possible the executive suite is actually an executive room in Marriott's inventory?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by itravelalot
Is it possible the executive suite is actually an executive room in Marriott's inventory?
No, that is not a likely explanation. The likely explanations are either (1) IT fail, or (2) property intentionally dg'ed OP because it doesn't want to give the suite away.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by itravelalot
No, when I received the SNA confirmation in the afternoon my room was showing as Executive Suite and later at night when I checked it had become Executive Club room. Obviously someone manually downgraded me. SNA is still showing as confirmed.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'd say it's the property. From what I've heard, the properties get messages saying SNA cleared or SNA declined. If it cleared, then there shouldn't be a downgrade.

Cheers.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:59 pm

The hotel came back with an apology and moved me back to Executive Suite but there is no explanation why it occurred.
Boraxo, margarita girl and Kacee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.