Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2003, 3:54 pm

Programs: US3, WN, UA, AA, CO
A lot has been discussed about this property and the other Marriott St. Thomas hotel, the Renaissance Grand Beach. By using the Search button in the top right corner of your screen, you should be able to find out quite a bit. Here's one thread from the FT Archives: http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/000178.html
Old Mar 14, 2003, 11:07 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, Delta Platnium
Unless that "upgrade" puts you in the morning star, I would say prob not.

I checked in as a Plat last summer and they put me in a "top of the reef" room in the main building... this is basically just the top floor.

Unless you are on one of the first floors (i think it starts with 2 or 3), you'll have your own private balcony anyway.

Old Mar 14, 2003, 9:15 pm

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
I was there last month for 7 days on an award stay. The first night there were no rooms available at Morningstar--had a nice harborview room on the 4th floor with a great view of the cruise ships. The next day they had availability at Morningstar--I was very humble and appreciative and received the upgrade for $25 per night. They took care of transferring down the luggage around 3:00PM the next day. Loved it!! Be sure to attend the Managers receptions on Monday and Wed afternoon at Frenchman's Reef. All you can drink for an hour--lots of fun....Enjoy.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 6:49 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Ritz Carlton St Thomas

Has anyone been to this property recently? I've been working on booking something for Christmas in the Caribbean - and I'm waitlisted at several properties (Nevis, Cap Jeluca, among others) - but got in at this one.

Now that I got in (club level, oceanfront), I'm nervous that there's something wrong. I've read a couple of trip reports - but nothing in the last year.

Will the service really be decent? I've heard terrible things about the RC San Juan.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old May 1, 2003, 8:15 am

St. Thomas - Marriott or Rennaissance

My wife and I are planning an extended awards stay vacation for May 2004 in St. Thomas. Does anyone have any feedback about either the Marriott Frenchman's Reef or the Rennaissance Grand Beach?

------------------
Intellectually I know that America is no better than any other country; emotionally I know she is better than every country.
-- Sinclair Lewis
Old May 1, 2003, 8:47 am

Why search was invented:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/002582.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/000178.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/002420.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/002348.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/001494.html
Old May 1, 2003, 5:33 pm

IMHO, both hotels are discouraging. Unfortunately, the STT Ritz-Carlton is very expensive.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 8:11 am

Bump. Very curious as well.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 3:43 pm

Stayed at the Ritz STT last Christmas. I'll start with the good. The club rooms/building are excellent. There are only 24 club rooms (12 suites, 12 regular rooms) situated on four floors in their own building. The fifth floor consists of a very large club lounge. This is one of the better Ritz clubs I've been too - up there with San Francisco and NY Central Park. Breakfast featured a chef cooking omlets in the lounge, and there was an evening caviar service. On New Year's eve the Club Manager replaced the usual Ritz Champagne with Cristal! She also turned a small board room into a private "kids club" for the holiday week, with TV, DVD player, and a selection of toys and games. The Club rooms are new, bright and modern. The Club building is situated in the expansion phase area of the property, to the left side (when one is facing the beach). They have built a new beach at this end of the property, along with a new pool, outdoor restaurant and other amentities. Moving from right to left facing the beach, there is the Club building, a building with regular Ritz rooms and then 4 Ritz Carlton Club (Timeshare) buildings. As of last year only two of the 4 Timeshare buildings were completed. This of course meant that the beach and pool area was not at capacity. (The original buildings and original pool are to the far right, removed somehwat from this area.) In terms of disappointments, there were certainly a number, but it is typical for the Caribbean. For example, linens were regular cotton, as opposed to the high thread count Frette linens used at most Ritz's stateside. Given the room rates, I thought this was a disrgace. Service was "relaxed" to put it nicely. While they made lots of efforts on service they also fell down a lot on service. For example, they contacted me well in advance of my stay to coordinate dinner reservations, etc. And most of the reservations were correctly booked. However, I inquired about dinner on the beach - and despite repeated phone calls to a variety of different people, no one ever got back to me to confirm the arrangements until the afternoon before we wanted to do the dinner. The menu they delivered to me was a poorly photocopied piece of paper, rather than anything fancy. At that point I said never mind - it was supposed to be special, not a pain! On the plus side, they assigned a staff member to each guest, and ours came running from out of the woodwork to introduce himself. I do plan to return next February for the Presidents week vacation, if that is a good indicator of my enjoyment there. But we are headed to the Ritz in Cancun for Christmas week - we met at least 3 couples who all were regular guests there, and recommended it over the Ritz STT. A few other comments: when we first arrived they had been unable to confirm a club room for the first night of our stay. As expected, we spent the first night in a regular room in of of the original buildings before they moved us to the club building. Despite it having been recently renovated, the room looked and felt like standard Marriott fare. It was small, and relatively dark. I WOULD NOT stay at the Ritz STT unless I had club accomodations. Some other tips - skip the onsite restaurants. You can have some of your meals in the Club lounge, but I'd recommend renting a car for the week and booking dinners off the property. In addition to being a lot cheaper, one of the best things about St. Thomas is the large selection of restaurants. In fact, we stayed pretty close to the Ritz, but there was an unbelivable selection of restaurants within a 10-15 minute drive. The ferry dock to St. John is also less than 10 minutes away, and many people go to St. John for dinner, etc.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Thx Beantown, good review...

-DR
Old Jun 28, 2003, 11:06 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Can one earn Marriott Rewards points by staying in a Ritz Carlton?
Old Jun 29, 2003, 10:41 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
Can one earn Marriott Rewards points by staying in a Ritz Carlton?</font>
No.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BeantownFlyer:
For example, linens were regular cotton, as opposed to the high thread count Frette linens used at most Ritz's stateside. Given the room rates, I thought this was a disrgace. </font>
Old Aug 22, 2003, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott and British Airways
what's the difference between the 2 Marriotts at St Thomas?

Can somebody tell me the difference between the 2 Marriotts at St Thomas?
We want to go there but i don't know the differcence.

Pascal.

------------------
Gold SPG, Silver Marriott,BLue Wing KLM,Hilton Silver
Old Aug 22, 2003, 3:08 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/002730.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.