Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Okinawa, Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Okinawa, Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: All of Them
Currently spent my 2nd night at the property here in Okinawa. This place is unlike any other Marriott property I have stayed at. They tried to charge the wrong rate by $400 at check in, no idea what I was talking about for Platinum arrival gift, there is a lounge for anyone staying over 3 consecutive nights "Club Savvy" that has 4 different kinds of juice (including mango vinegar juice), and no food or anything else.
There is another lounge called the JTB lounge for patrons of a certain travel agency that looks like a standard concierge lounge which elites do not have access to. Their main western breakfast restaurant is closed for renovation for two weeks, with no notice until we arrived. Overall just a strange property that is definitely not in line with the standard Marriott experience.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Richklhs
Currently spent my 2nd night at the property here in Okinawa. This place is unlike any other Marriott property I have stayed at. They tried to charge the wrong rate by $400 at check in, no idea what I was talking about for Platinum arrival gift, there is a lounge for anyone staying over 3 consecutive nights "Club Savvy" that has 4 different kinds of juice (including mango vinegar juice), and no food or anything else.
There is another lounge called the JTB lounge for patrons of a certain travel agency that looks like a standard concierge lounge which elites do not have access to. Their main western breakfast restaurant is closed for renovation for two weeks, with no notice until we arrived. Overall just a strange property that is definitely not in line with the standard Marriott experience.
Wow - thanks for the update.

PS - Did you get the $100 for the Plat arrival gift if it wasn't offered or delivered? If there's no lounge, are you getting breakfast (cont'l or full) in the restaurant as Gold/Plat bennie?

Cheers.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: All of Them
After tweeting Marriott the hotel showed up with a glass of wine and piece of cake - fair enough. I am getting breakfast in their Japanese restaurant which they have tried to mix in the western options with the other place closed. I have not seen another non-Japanese in the hotel in 3 days which may explain that they dont get too many Marriott elites or even regulars at the property.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Here's a strange fact about this place...they have (had) a yearly resort membership you can purchase for the family. My kids lived here on the weekends when we were stationed in Okinawa. Never stayed there overnight!
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by orca15
Here's a strange fact about this place...they have (had) a yearly resort membership you can purchase for the family. My kids lived here on the weekends when we were stationed in Okinawa. Never stayed there overnight!
A lot of hotels, especially overseas, sell memberships for use of their pool, health club, spa, and other sports facilities to locals. It's why you sometimes see crowds of apparently local families during weekends when the hotel is otherwise empty.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:44 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Review: March2016 - Good hotel

Hi,

Had a 1 night stay here while visiting the north part of the island. I was considering between this property to the Renaissance and the RC. Decided on this since the price was ok (and there was a lounge) but also because it was slight on higher up north perfect for me after finishing the cities up north.

[I did stop by the Renaissance too - which is not too bad and advantage is that it is located next to the beach]

Location: It is in this sort of resort area - the RC is located very close by. This property is located on top of a hill - so the benefit is a good view. Other than that, nothing else is close by. They do have a shuttle bus down to the beach (I believe it was rather regular - did not use it since I had my own car and the weather was too cold for the beach).

Check-in: I arrived rather late, there are sufficient parking lots around but some of the rather far from the main entrance, so I first dropped my bags at the main entrance and parked. There is a whole check in area (called Executive area) to check -in. Since I went off to park the car, when I returned to check in, I was informed that they were expecting me (they had a list of all elite/Executive floor Guest). While walking towards the entrance, the concierge ran towards me to get my car keys - saying something in the line of valet parking - just handed him my keys.
During check-in a run down of the amenities and elite benefits was done. Was also given a welcome drink. (at the same time I was informed parking cost 500 JPY - valet included).

Room: Was given a room on the Executive Floor. The room was the biggest I have seen in Japan. It had a four poster bed and also what I guess is called the lounge area with ceiling to floor glass and next to it the balcony. It was what I would call romantic-renaissance style. The room was very well equipped. I believe the room was most probably last updated in the early 90's and though still very ok, you can still feel that it was getting dated.
What I really found amusing after seeing everything so huge and grand in the room, the poor tv was most probably the black sheep in the room - i think it was about 22 inch tv... dwarfed by all the grandious feeling of the room.
Internet was again just logging into the system.
The photos of nightowlorn is exactly the room I had.

Bathroom: A large area with very good shower with only a bathtub. Amenities are as expected in Marriott hotels.

Lounge: Strangely the lounge is divided into 2 separate rooms - I can' remember exactly - but I think one is the Ocean lounge and the other Blue lounge. I was just in time for the evening snack service - the spread was very good. The alcohol selection was not too bad. There was basically no one in the lounge (most probably the situation will be different during the peak season). If breakfast is not included, as Elite you can only have breakfast in the lounge (this is only in the Ocean lounge). Breakfast spread was ok - rather limited - but there were still 2 hot options available. There was a mix of Western and limited Asian selection.
There is also lounge (I did not visit) down at the beach.

Staff: In general friendly staff - although for the first time, I felt that the lounge staff (only there to refill items and clean up items) did not look very friendly. Other than that, everyone was friendly with smile on their face.

General: Not a bad property. Not sure how it will be in the peak season, but in the low season the property is quite quiet. Will return if I am in the area. Though I might try the Renaissance since they seem to offer more marine/water activities (e.g. swimming with Dolphins, reef boat tours) which you did not need to pay any surcharge if you are a guest.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by nldogbert
I believe the room was most probably last updated in the early 90's and though still very ok, you can still feel that it was getting dated.
While I don't deny that the rooms are probably starting to feel dated, this hotel was only built in 2005, so there is no way the rooms have been around since the 90's.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:58 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by The_Wrath_of_Khan
While I don't deny that the rooms are probably starting to feel dated, this hotel was only built in 2005, so there is no way the rooms have been around since the 90's.
Haha.. ok - I did not check the history of this hotel. But I guess it is due to the design used which made it feel so 90's. But indeed, it is not really dated, but it is starting to show. Maybe a small refresh will work wonders.

Cheers!
Old May 9, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AAPlatinum
Stayed as a Marriott Gold towards the end of April. Upgraded to top (15th)/club floor ocean view from original booking of low floor no view. Location of the property is great for exploring the northern half of the island but a rental car is essential.

Beach at the base of the hill is not owned by Marriott and there is a fee if you want a chair. Spa is no longer complimentary to those staying on the exec floor as initially reported upthread. There is a small whirlpool outdoors though which is nice. Outdoor pool areas (including the whirlpool) close very early - 6pm (!) This was the most surprising/disappointing part of the stay.

Lounge breakfast is forgettable, you are better off snacking on onigiri from the Lawsons or Family Mart at the base of the hill. Continental breakfast but no asian option, you wouldn't even know you were in Japan. Evening reception much better - steamed dumplings and local uma budo seagrapes with a few additional rotating canapes in the garden lounge. Ocean lounge was more 'upscale' with better cheese but no hot apps.

Room was comfortable enough, small balcony but we preferred the chaise in front of the glass wall - lovely view. There's also a mini fridge for stowing any treats from the local konbini.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Am a Ritz-Carlton fan, and the property looks fantastic. If I'm looking to spend a 7-night package, are the Marriott or the Renaissance also a good choice? it's Tier 4 (for the Ritz-Carlton) vs Cat 7 (for both Marriotts)
Old May 4, 2018, 6:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Renaissance Resort Okinawa

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

3425-2, Yamada Onna-son Kunigami-gun Okinawa, Japan JP 904-0416

Renaissance Resort Okinawa (3 Photos)

Spend a couple of nights at this hotel during Japanese Golden Week. Here are my thoughts on it.

IMG_9731.jpgIMG_9734.jpgIMG_9738.jpg

Check In

Checkin experience was disappointing. Was offered "standard" room on the 6th floor, even though "high floor" rooms on 8-10F were available. Was told hotel is fully booked, but when I showed the app showing availability, some shuffling around happened, clerk went to front office manager, finally, suddenly, the high floor room became available. I have no idea if this room is any different from the 6th floor room - they could've explained if it wasn't, and I wouldn't have insisted on getting it. Checkout was said to be 11 until I had to remind again that I was Platinum, at which point it went up to 13:00. When I asked what happened to 16:00, I was told it's subject to availability on the day of, and no guarantees are made.

Arrival gift was offered for one person (even though we were two adults and one child). I was somewhat incredulous - I normally expect it for two people, but they were adamant it was only for one per "their instructions". I wasn't going to fight over a beer, so I let it go.

Was told to wait a few minutes, finally checkin agent came and informed me the room was ready and they "found a way" to offer me a welcome gift for "two" people, though they insisted that this would absolutely be the same item. I found it perplexing that they would not even compromise on alcohol, considering my travel companion was obviously pregnant, but again, whatever. I told the agent that this negotiation was completely unnecessary, had they been a little bit more welcoming of Platinum guests; I asked for the FOM to convey this feedback. He was apologetic in a very non-apologetic Japanese way (i.e. "I'm sorry that these are the rules, and if you don't like them, well...."), so I have no idea if my feedback was heard.

Platinum benfits summary: upgrade (maybe), one welcome gift item (one of beer/water/juice + one of mozzarella cheese with tomatoes/cake/nuts), free breakfast in any of three restaurants.

Room

Room was perfectly fine. This hotel seems to be geared for families with kids, so an extra bed is provided for free, and even made up already.

Water was not replenished on day 2, had to call.

Service

Service is a mix of amazing and irritating. The service staff are great. Very typical Japanese service, very quick, efficient, friendly. Asking for a valet car? Minutes.

On the other hand, God forbid you run amok of any of the myriad mind-bending rules. Booking a kids activity at the Concierge desk? Sorry. It's 18:04, and booking closed at 18:00. What's that? Escalate? Nope, sorry. We can check if it's available, but we can't book. What's that? Bring out the manager? (turns to the right. "Can we book it? Yes? Ok fine") Ok, for when would you like it?.

Or at the "beach", which is about 50cm deep in its entirety. You want to use a snorkel set? Absolutely must wear life jacket. Can swim 50m crawl, or have scuba certification? Yeah, we don't care. Put that life jacket on. Unless you keep the mask, but put aside the snorkel pipe. Then you don't need the life jacket.

Dining

Breakfast is rather decent. There's a pretty good selection. Important: Platinum status gets you breakfast in three restaurants, though only one is buffet style - the second one quite literally has only burgers, and I haven't had a chance to try the third (Japanese) one.

Room service is quite reasonable, as well: the portions are not particularly small, and the prices aren't particularly insane (it was about 6,700 yen for three main dishes delivered).

Overall

Overall, I am disappointed, and am unlikely to ever come back. Don't get me wrong: this place is EXCELLENT for kids. There are a myriad activities, there are live captive animals on display (dolphins, fishes that you can catch and release - many times, some other things that move). There are table tennis courts, two swimming pools (one for vegetating adults, one for hyperactive toddlers up to 100cm or so), a "private beach" of about 50cm in depth and a dozen lifeguards, at least six restaurants, and all sorts of stuff. So if you are here to abandon your own relaxation and literally just give up and live for your kid(s), then this place is perfect.

Had I gone in with few expectations, I would have probably been thrilled. In Japan, elite status is often ignored, or very loosely acknowledged, so had I not, for instance, stayed at the new Laforet Marriott properties where I got used to actual elite treatment, or had I not stayed at the Intercontinental Okinawa on the day prior, where I truly felt appreciated for being a top-status guest (welcome by managers, lots of freebies, general feeling of being taken care of), then I probably would not have been so disappointed.

So, once again, if the purpose is to entertain kids, then this place is right. If you want an "interesting" stay, with good elite benefits and a feeling of recognition of your loyalty - stay absolutely away.

Hotel is located a very long way away from Naha - about an hour's drive. Though there is bus service available, assume you will need a car, as unless you're looking to lock yourself in the resort, you're going to need a reliable means of transportation - and taxis are expensive.

Note that you will require an IDP in Japan. No exceptions (cf. mindbending rules section above).

Would you like to write a review on the Renaissance Resort Okinawa?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old May 4, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
"...God forbid you run amok of any of the myriad mind-bending rules..."

Welcome to Japan! A couple of years back I went swimming to a public pool in Japan. The rules prevented any activity that might be construed as fun, and included an hourly break when you had to leave the pool. The experience was so far from being enjoyable that I would never bother again. Having lived in Japan over 3 years and with native Japanese family, I have many similar experiences I could mention.

Anyway, thanks for the review. I now know not to bother with this place.
Old May 4, 2018, 4:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
"...God forbid you run amok of any of the myriad mind-bending rules..."

Welcome to Japan! A couple of years back I went swimming to a public pool in Japan. The rules prevented any activity that might be construed as fun, and included an hourly break when you had to leave the pool. The experience was so far from being enjoyable that I would never bother again. Having lived in Japan over 3 years and with native Japanese family, I have many similar experiences I could mention.

Anyway, thanks for the review. I now know not to bother with this place.
Hahaha, nice. Yeah, I don’t mean to knock the hotel based on that point alone - that’s Japan and you either like it or you don’t, so that’s not factored in my review besides being an annoyance that’s probably present everywhere. But yeah based on the other factors, I’m not sure it’s worth the trek all the way out here.
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The Marriott Okinawa will rebrand to Oriental Hotel Okinawa Resort and Spa. Leaving Marriott in October
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/05...1b1f2b6a132f97

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.