Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Stockholm Kungsholmen Sweden [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Platinum members get free breakfast.
Print Wikipost

Courtyard Stockholm Kungsholmen Sweden [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Thank you, that's very helpful
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: Marriott , United, Delta, Priority Club
Question-- we are staying at this property in mid-July for 3 nights prior to a Royal Caribbean cruise to the Baltic capitals. We will probably take the Arlanda Express from the airport to the central station. Do we need to take a cab, bus, etc. from there to the Courtyard? How much should that cost? This is our first visit to Stockholm so I'd like as much help as possible.

Also, has anyone done the water-taxi/boat ride around the city? Is that worth-while or are there better options? We have 2 full days to sight-see. Thanks for all your help.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:00 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
mclymerne, if you are more than one person and are planning on taking the Arlanda Express, I would recommend taking a taxi. Unless it is rush hour, it will get you to the hotel in a similar amount of time for a similar amount of money. Taxi rides from the airport have fixed pricing to anywhere within the city - however, note that the different companies charge different fixed rates. The yellow cabs are cheaper than the black ones, for instance. The airport rates are displayed prominently on the door. You can take any taxi you want and do not have to take the first one.

If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, you can walk to the Arlanda Central train station within the airport (not the Arlanda Express station) From there you can then take a local train to Stockholm Central. At Stockholm Central you can change to the Tunnelbana (metro) to get to Friedhemsplan metro station. I think this will cost about 14 USD per person.

There is an even cheaper route that involves taking a bus from the airport to a nearby metro station to avoid the 75 SEK surcharge for usage of the airport train station. However, I would not recommend this to someone unfamiliar with the city and with luggage to schlep around.

Should you decide to take the Arlanda Express - it will drop you off at the T-Centralen/Stockholm Central Station just like the local train will. From there you can take the metro (2-3 stops) to Friedhemsplan. It is probably a 25 minute walk to T-Centralen from the hotel. When you leave Friedhemsplan, head in the direction of "Bussar" which means busses. This will get you out on the surface in the area closer to the hotel.

A general note about the metro. Although it is very functional, clean, etc., it is not always the best option. Stockholm's center is rather compact and the walking distances are not very far. Plus consider the walk to the metro station and then all the way down to the actual platforms. So, on a nice day walking into the city might be a more pleasant and faster alternative.

On the past weekend I took a boat tour of the archipelago (3 hours). I can say that it was very pleasant and informative. For the city, I would just recommend walking around two times, once during the day and then again at night to see it lit up.

Enjoy your time in Stockholm! With 40 nights at this hotel already in 2014, I suspect the odds are good that I will be there the nights you are.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott: Titanium
Another quick note on the Arlanda Express. It is by far the quickest way to get into the city, has free wifi, and if it is more than 3 minutes late tickets are free. I've never seen it late though. Tickets are less expensive if more than one is traveling. For instance, its 260 SEK for one ticket and only 280 SEK for 2 tickets.
If I remember correctly, the train ticket machines only take cards with a chip on it so if you don't have one you may have to buy the tickets from an agent in person. You could also get your metro tickets here. Enjoy your stay!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:34 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Hi Timetosave,

I was actually thinking about the special fares for people traveling together, but was unsure of the pricing and knew there were some big restrictions...but now I have checked it out on https://www.arlandaexpress.com/fares.aspx.

And the restriction is that those prices are only valid from Thursday to Sunday. There is also a weekend return ticket available for a discount.

I am a regular travel in and out of Stockholm and rarely take the Arlanda Express as a single traveler. I either take a taxi if I have lots of luggage or I take the local train which allows me to get off at a station before Central and gets me to my destination quicker than having to backtrack with the Tunnelbana.

To be complete in our list we should also mention that there are busses that will take you to the city center. I think they cost around 100 SEK. If you do not have a monthly metro card or if you have not used the public bus to avoid the Arlanda Central Station surcharge, the bus to the city center is the cheapest option for a single traveler or a couple.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
We stayed here a few years back. We walked into "town" most days and used metro to get back after long day walking around town. Lots of good, "reasonably priced small bistro restaurants nearby and a lovely park across the way where you can walk and enjoy nature.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:52 pm

Based on our recent weekend stay, I think this is a very good hotel. On check-in, the front desk actually apologised for not having a lounge. As plats, We were given breakfast in the restaurant along with two drinks coupons. This is certainly better than any Courtyard I have been to in the US. The internet in the room was slow the first day but better the rest of the stay. However, the wifi in the public areas that plats get was fantastic. We found the location very convenient especially with the new bus service to/from Arlanda that has a stop a couple of blocks from the hotel. We will certainly stay here on our next trip to Stockholm.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by timetosave
Another quick note on the Arlanda Express. It is by far the quickest way to get into the city, has free wifi, and if it is more than 3 minutes late tickets are free. I've never seen it late though. Tickets are less expensive if more than one is traveling. For instance, its 260 SEK for one ticket and only 280 SEK for 2 tickets.
If I remember correctly, the train ticket machines only take cards with a chip on it so if you don't have one you may have to buy the tickets from an agent in person. You could also get your metro tickets here. Enjoy your stay!
This is important for a US based traveler -- none of my cards worked at the machine (even with Chip and Sig). Thankfully I prepurchased them online and the on-board attendant said that was fine.

As for the property, it was fine. My room was a little awkwardly laid out (toilet couldn't be used without the door closed). Like the previous poster said, it was one of the best courtyards that i've stayed in. No tipping envelope though .
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Wonderful 3 night stay in mid Sept.

As a Platinum got a corner room upgrade, a delightful breakfast is free, and you get a special code for enhanced internet.

Staff is OK - not rude, not polite, just efficiency/throughput oriented. Only one really seemed helpful (Amanda) but again, no one was rude.

Location is great (close to T-bahna and Flygbussarna stops)
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Smile

Originally Posted by ab_initio
As a Platinum got a corner room upgrade, a delightful breakfast is free, and you get a special code for enhanced internet.
Each time I've stayed there; I've had the exact same treatment - it's a good hotel (albeit a European Courtyard..)

OT - there is a Dutch guy who's been staying there Sunday - Thursday for the past two years - I've got no idea how he stays sane. Last time I spoke with him, he said that he expected to be there for at least another year
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Wickersley
Each time I've stayed there; I've had the exact same treatment - it's a good hotel (albeit a European Courtyard..)

OT - there is a Dutch guy who's been staying there Sunday - Thursday for the past two years - I've got no idea how he stays sane. Last time I spoke with him, he said that he expected to be there for at least another year
Must be shooting for lifetime plat .
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:08 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

The Dutch guy is actually gone, I believe. At least I have not seen him in a while. I currently am probably the top of the leaderboard at this hotel. And I can tell you that it is a challenge, but not unlike living in any other hotel.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Does anyone know if Golds get free breakfast at this property? I have been finding conflicting reports over the years on the interwebs.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Deleted because I misread a post.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Sep 26, 2014 at 9:34 am
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:17 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
My last time in Stockholm, we stayed at Sheraton because it was within walking distance of train station. I am now platinum and would prefer to stay at a Marriott. Has anyone stayed at both and can provide a comparison

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.