FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Courtyard Stockholm Kungsholmen Sweden [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1227675-courtyard-stockholm-kungsholmen-sweden-master-thread.html)

bmw303 Jun 18, 2011 4:36 pm

Courtyard Stockholm Kungsholmen Sweden [Master Thread]

Any experience with Gold/Platinum upgrades?

munster182 Jun 20, 2011 11:53 am

There's only one suite in the hotel. Was Gold when I stayed there, great service...but standard room

darthbimmer Jun 20, 2011 4:49 pm

Hotel website indicates that there are "superior" rooms which are larger than the standards. Regardless, when I visited a few months ago I could not get an upgrade from standard. The hotel has no lounge.

nldogbert Sep 10, 2012 12:30 am

Quick review: Sept 2012

Hi,

Just got back from a weekend stay at this property. Managed to get a good weekend rate including a Stockholm card + Breakfast.

Location: Not too bad, about 10 mins relax walk to the nearest Metro. Should be doable with luggage, only thing is the last few meters to get to the hotel, there are only a flight of stairs to take which can be an issue if you are not capable. [alternative would be to walk further down the street]. Between the hotel and the metro station, there are some restaurants and shops. There is also a bus that goes directly to the central area, so you have the option of taking the bus or metro to the central area.

Staff: No comments, no recognition nor anything special during check-in or throughout the stay as elite member. Neutral on this point.

Room: I believe it is a standard room, was given a high floor room as requested. I rate this better compared to American courtyards, slightly better to the European courtyards (most probably because it is a fairly new property) I have been but definitely not comparable to those in Asia.

Breakfast: A good spread of breakfast with sufficient hot and cold options.

General: Not too bad of a place based on the value to package ratio. I would have not been that positive if the price I paid did not include the package I had. If I had paid just for the room only rate for the price I paid, I would not have been so positive since as an Elite, no extra's were offered (typical CY trend). I would stay here again only if the price is right. For me the Hilton is my preferred choice since the price can be quite close to this property and I do get better treatment. They seemed to have won the Tripadvisor prize for 2012.

FinnishFlash Sep 10, 2012 2:58 am

This is quite good hotel in my opinion as well. But their rates are quite high. Even my corporate rate is often about 230-280 in Euros and standard rate even higher. That is too much for a Courtyard and outside of the city centre.

But as you said, they often have very good weekend rates and packages, more seldom during the week.

In Sthlm I usually stay in Scandic paying about 1000 SEK, 120 euros, breakfast and 100SEK food voucher included.

BKKLEE Sep 10, 2012 3:36 am

I've previously stayed at the Sergel Plaza, but their rates are generally over SKK1500........which Scandic are you referring to (or are you using bonus cheques to get this rate)??

Originally Posted by FinnishFlash (Post 19286265)
In Sthlm I usually stay in Scandic paying about 1000 SEK, 120 euros, breakfast and 100SEK food voucher included.

FinnishFlash Sep 10, 2012 4:37 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE (Post 19286348)
I've previously stayed at the Sergel Plaza, but their rates are generally over SKK1500........which Scandic are you referring to (or are you using bonus cheques to get this rate)??

Sergel Plaza and the one very near T-Centralen, don't remember the name right now. I use my corporate rate which is very good. Anyway, I stay mostly in suburbs, Scandic Järva Krog, Scandic Bromma, Täby etc, actually because they are often more convenient on my business trips.

If Scandic and Marriott CY had same price in Sthlm, I would stay at CY but now when it's about double the Scandic price, I don't think it offers good enough value for money. It's simply not that much better in my opinion.

BKKLEE Sep 10, 2012 5:36 am

THXs........think I'll stay in the city and cough up the extra cost.........

Originally Posted by FinnishFlash (Post 19286504)
Sergel Plaza and the one very near T-Centralen, don't remember the name right now. I use my corporate rate which is very good. Anyway, I stay mostly in suburbs, Scandic Järva Krog, Scandic Bromma, Täby etc, actually because they are often more convenient on my business trips.

If Scandic and Marriott CY had same price in Sthlm, I would stay at CY but now when it's about double the Scandic price, I don't think it offers good enough value for money. It's simply not that much better in my opinion.

SkiAdcock Sep 10, 2012 6:32 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert (Post 19285892)
Hi,

Just got back from a weekend stay at this property. Managed to get a good weekend rate including a Stockholm card + Breakfast.

Location: Not too bad, about 10 mins relax walk to the nearest Metro. Should be doable with luggage, only thing is the last few meters to get to the hotel, there are only a flight of stairs to take which can be an issue if you are not capable. [alternative would be to walk further down the street]. Between the hotel and the metro station, there are some restaurants and shops. There is also a bus that goes directly to the central area, so you have the option of taking the bus or metro to the central area.

Staff: No comments, no recognition nor anything special during check-in or throughout the stay as elite member. Neutral on this point.

Room: I believe it is a standard room, was given a high floor room as requested. I rate this better compared to American courtyards, slightly better to the European courtyards (most probably because it is a fairly new property) I have been but definitely not comparable to those in Asia.

Breakfast: A good spread of breakfast with sufficient hot and cold options.

General: Not too bad of a place based on the value to package ratio. I would have not been that positive if the price I paid did not include the package I had. If I had paid just for the room only rate for the price I paid, I would not have been so positive since as an Elite, no extra's were offered (typical CY trend). I would stay here again only if the price is right. For me the Hilton is my preferred choice since the price can be quite close to this property and I do get better treatment. They seemed to have won the Tripadvisor prize for 2012.

Thanks for the update! Much appreciated.

Cheers.

nacho Sep 10, 2012 9:58 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE (Post 19286348)

You can usually get discount by entering a promo code.

The good thing about that CY is that it's a cat 4 hotel, so using Megabonus cert there would be value for $.

myperks Nov 23, 2013 9:47 am

Stay Report

Stay Summary: Courtyard Stockholm

Had a 3 day stay here at the Courtyard Kungsholmen Stockholm

The place looks like it is in a residential part of Stockholm with local park across the street and a decent amount of restaurants within a 5 minute walking distance.

Check-in was fast and efficient.
Offered Plat points. Offered Plat drink coupons. Breakfast in MoMo (was part of our rate, not sure if it is included for Plats). My colleague and I were both offered an upgrade to a premier room on opposite end of the hotel. Except the one ending in 12 is HUGE due to have a triangle corner, while my room ending in 30-ish (same room premium upgrade) is angled inwards, making the room seem smaller than a normal room, although a corner, which was good.

There is no bellman on staff when we checked in. Self-service.

Accommodation

Standard Hotel-ish room, not very big (see above). Had all the standard amenities and bathroom has shower stall only.

Restaurant

The main restaurant was MoMo. Breakfast there was a zoo for 2 mornings. Offered what I call the English breakfast fare (beans, bacon, sausage, grilled tomatoes, hash browns, etc.) and a cold buffet area with fruits and cheeses. You can also order cooked-to-order eggs.

Had dinner one time in the restaurant.

Recreation

Gym was on the 3rd floor with machines and free weights. Not big, but had enough.

Some other thoughts

Overall a great stay. Rooms were standard. Service was okay, not great. We typically stay over at the Hilton Slussen but that place is packed and full if we don't reserve ahead of time.

Would stay here again to get away from the touristy traps of Slussen and Gamla Stan. Restaurants nearby the Courtyard are much more local oriented and cheaper too.

SkiAdcock Nov 24, 2013 6:53 am

Thanks for the update! Much appreciated.

Cheers.

ajamieson Feb 15, 2014 8:34 am

I understand this hotel is away from the tourist traps...but is it too far away for a weekend stay if we're seeing the city? I see a report that it is 10 minutes from a metro station, which is good.

On my weekend dates, the Sheraton is cheaper, but at the Courtyard I could use a Megabonus free night here to take care of one of the nights, making this hotel my preference, all other things being equal.

timetosave Feb 15, 2014 12:58 pm

I've stayed at this property many times (one of the few Marriotts in Scandinavia!)

My comments
It is a new very modern property. The bathrooms are great, nice showers and heated floors.
I am always recognized as a Platinum member and get the following:
- Free drink at the bar
- 1 or 2 free items from the Courtyard market
- Free breakfast - which is very nice!

Every international Courtyard I have stayed at is significantly better than any I have stayed at in the states.

As for the location, the closest metro stations are Thorildsplan and Fridhemsplan. If you get off at Fridhemsplan you will have to walk down the stairs but there are no stairs if you get off at Thorildsplan. The last few times I have been, I think the blue metro line was under construction so I had to get off at Fridhemsplan. With it being right next to the metro, you can get anywhere in the city pretty quickly so I think it's a great location.

adviso Feb 18, 2014 1:48 pm

In addition to the Metro stops.....you can walk down to the Old City Hall (about 20 mins along the park path) and catch a local bus. The Hop-on-Hop-off sightseeing bus stops there as well. On good weather days it is a very pleasant walk from the hotel to the City Hall.