Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Chatwal, New York City (No Longer a Marriott Hotel)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Chatwal, New York City (No Longer a Marriott Hotel)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Some pictures from our stay

Old Aug 29, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: CO, WN
Originally Posted by sent
We got the same line about our gold benefits not being valid during the BRG promotion stays. I've been meaning to pursue this as I did not even get my points for my incidental spend either for the stay. Thanks for your report, that helps.

Also, the reason those 1 BR suites are laid out so strangely is because they can resell those "suites" as two separate "1 BR Queen" rooms as I discovered during the BRG promotion. The BRG reservation was for a suite but we were given a Queen room and told that since this is a "promotional" stay, they did not have to honor the room type. On a later stay I saw a suite and realized that the "Queen" room we had been given was actually a murphy bed set up in the "living room" portion of the suite.

I too was very underwhelmed by this hotel as part of the Luxury Collection.
I recently had an opportunity to stay at this property and, based on these recent reviews and another person's photos, I'm very glad I passed. I don't see the value here.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 1:24 am

Programs: LH HON, SPG Plat
Similar experience here. We stayed at the Chatwal for 4 nights in late August. I had booked a Deluxe Room with terrace using a company rate. Stay was so-so.

Upon check-in, we were given a room with a terrace which, however, was very small. So I went down to complain and it took me quite some arguing with the manager until we were given a larger room in the same category (slightly larger than the one on the photos above) -- so no Plat upgrade at all.

I agree that the rooms are nicely furnished and that the shower is great (best hotel shower I ever had), but due to the low ceilings, the low floor count, and the dark furnishings a room without a terrace (and thus the opportunity to escape to a place with daylight) would be rather depressing.

"Best" thing happened when I ordered coffee on the first morning: For a double espresso, a latte, and an orange juice, they charged (incl. delivery, taxes, and tip) 65 USD. I have been to some expensive hotels in expensive locations, but I have never paid more than 40 USD for the same combo (which is already a lot). When I mentioned this to the front desk staff upon check-out, the guy basically said "If you cannot pay for it, check-in somewhere else."
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by SKvH

"Best" thing happened when I ordered coffee on the first morning: For a double espresso, a latte, and an orange juice, they charged (incl. delivery, taxes, and tip) 65 USD.
Oh yes, we ended up paying $26 for a pot of coffee the first day as well. Worse, it came with one cup (they clearly knew there were two of us in the room). Next day, we requested a coffee maker to be delivered to the room - it was delivered (in our absence) - with no cups.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
There is a newsstand literally next door that sells coffee for $1.50. Yes that requires putting on some jeans and a t-shirt to go over there and acquire the coffee, but it sure beats paying $26 for a pot with only 1 cup. By the time they bring that second cup, the coffee will be cold.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: LH HON, SPG Plat
There is a newsstand literally next door that sells coffee for $1.50. Yes that requires putting on some jeans and a t-shirt to go over there and acquire the coffee, but it sure beats paying $26 for a pot with only 1 cup. By the time they bring that second cup, the coffee will be cold.
True, and also what we did as of the second day. But I still maintain there should be an option to get a reasonably priced coffee delivered to your room without having to put on pants -- something like the butler coffee service for regular coffee at the St. Regis, although I would be willing to pay for it.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Not that I was impressed by my stay or anything, but during my stay a last December, I asked for a coffeemaker (and coffee packs) to be delivered to the room. No charge. Not a problem if you drink it black. But no mugs or cups.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 1:13 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by choptliva
Not that I was impressed by my stay or anything, but during my stay a last December, I asked for a coffeemaker (and coffee packs) to be delivered to the room. No charge. Not a problem if you drink it black and straight from the carafe. But no mugs or cups.
Fixed it. Two people have now commented on coffee makers delivered without cups. Maybe they expect you to drink it from the wine glasses.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 2:23 am

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Fixed it. Two people have now commented on coffee makers delivered without cups. Maybe they expect you to drink it from the wine glasses.

I just took multiple of their hot apple cider cups from the lobby. If they had given me a straw, I might have used that...
Old Sep 4, 2012, 1:27 pm

I am 100% positive that when I stayed, there were two coffee cups in the storage cabinet next to other glassware. YMMV, however.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SKvH
True, and also what we did as of the second day. But I still maintain there should be an option to get a reasonably priced coffee delivered to your room without having to put on pants -- something like the butler coffee service for regular coffee at the St. Regis, although I would be willing to pay for it.
This property maintains a butler service available to all guests and yes, they will deliver coffee to your liking.

Originally Posted by Pa Kettle
I am 100% positive that when I stayed, there were two coffee cups in the storage cabinet next to other glassware. YMMV, however.
Another yes to this one, coffee cups are kept in the closet with the bar - it's an easy find if one opens their eyes.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Stayed here 2 nights over Labor Day weekend. I had one night booked, and then decided to add a second night here as well. Both booked on points and one was a Superior room and the other was a Grand Deluxe. Called several days before to try and get both rooms to be the same and they put a note on the reservation, but at that time there were only a few rooms left all weekend.

When we went to checkin they had us in 2 separate rooms still and they were full so we had to switch. Front desk was very apologetic though. The second night though they moved us to a Grand Deluxe on the top floor which was very nice. There were only 6 rooms on the top floor, most of which were suites.

Both rooms were very nice, but the first was very dark and narrow. We elected for breakfast and no option is given to upgrade to a better breakfast. Even though the place was sold out over the weekend the breakfast at the Lambs Club was basically to ourselves each morning. Only 2 other tables take one day, and the second day 1 other table taken. Not sure where all the other hotel guests were (around 8:30-9am). We received a pastry basket, OJ, hot drink (coffee or tea) and a parfait. The prices in the menu were crazy expensive. Each morning for those items we signed the bill for $70, but it had a line through it to show no charge and we just added the tip.

Overall, a nice place but I probably would stay elsewhere because I do not see enough value in burning that many points (or $500-$700 a night) here. The basic rooms are small, and dark, but they are very nicely furnished. Shower/bathroom was amazing as others have said.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Ok. I'm staying here now. Got a very nice upgrade to a suite, though no view. Anyway...logged into their wifi and NOTHING works that has video (you tube, netflix etc.). I havent called yet, but this seems a little strange. I am on an ipad, so i cant check the wireline.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 2:21 pm

Just got back from a 3 night stay over the weekend.

Quick verdict: Best hotel I have ever stayed in. It is in a GREAT location. Right in midtown manhattan, but not right in times square so in a nice quiet location. Service is beyond anything asked for. They are constantly going above and beyond.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Premier, DL, CO
Does anyone have a recent review of the Chatwal? Currently debating between this hotel (Executive Studio booked through AMEX FHR) or the Four Seasons. Reviews seem mixed. First choice was the St Regis which is unfortunately sold out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.