FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Chatwal, New York City (No Longer a Marriott Hotel)
Old Aug 30, 2012, 1:24 am
SKvH

Programs: LH HON, SPG Plat
Similar experience here. We stayed at the Chatwal for 4 nights in late August. I had booked a Deluxe Room with terrace using a company rate. Stay was so-so.

Upon check-in, we were given a room with a terrace which, however, was very small. So I went down to complain and it took me quite some arguing with the manager until we were given a larger room in the same category (slightly larger than the one on the photos above) -- so no Plat upgrade at all.

I agree that the rooms are nicely furnished and that the shower is great (best hotel shower I ever had), but due to the low ceilings, the low floor count, and the dark furnishings a room without a terrace (and thus the opportunity to escape to a place with daylight) would be rather depressing.

"Best" thing happened when I ordered coffee on the first morning: For a double espresso, a latte, and an orange juice, they charged (incl. delivery, taxes, and tip) 65 USD. I have been to some expensive hotels in expensive locations, but I have never paid more than 40 USD for the same combo (which is already a lot). When I mentioned this to the front desk staff upon check-out, the guy basically said "If you cannot pay for it, check-in somewhere else."