Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Is there anything convenient nearby? Gas stations, Walgreens, Target, chain restaurants (Applebees, UNO, etc...), you know suburban stuff?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
Is there anything convenient nearby? Gas stations, Walgreens, Target, chain restaurants (Applebees, UNO, etc...), you know suburban stuff?
Nothing too close (it is an airport hotel) - you will have to drive a bit to get to suburban shopping. If that is of interest, you should look at the Sheraton Novi where all of this is within walking distance.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by kingsubbu
Nothing too close (it is an airport hotel) - you will have to drive a bit to get to suburban shopping. If that is of interest, you should look at the Sheraton Novi where all of this is within walking distance.
It's not to shop per se, but it's nice not to drive 10 miles to grab snacks or miscellaneous items like toothpaste, so a Target or Walgreens is great to have close-by.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 6:39 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
It's not to shop per se, but it's nice not to drive 10 miles to grab snacks or miscellaneous items like toothpaste, so a Target or Walgreens is great to have close-by.
You do realise there is a free half hourly shuttle to the airport from this hotel. And you could always buy these essentials at the airport!

Plus this hotel also has an shopping counter loaded with essentials like this opposite the reception desk with exactly this kind of stuff as well.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Just stayed there...

I ended up staying there on Sunday and it was actually fantastic. I was on the 10th floor (SPG floor) and the TV was a large flat screen (although changing channels took forever). The staff was awesome and as others mentioned, the lounge is pretty decent for an airport hotel. There was a hockey tournament going on somewhere near so there was a bunch of kids running around but I never heard anything in my room. And the indoor pool actually looked somewhat inviting. The only options at DTW that I prefer are the more expensive Westin and the Embassy Suites.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
When I stayed at this property about a week ago, they were undergoing construction in the public areas.

I was told that they would upgrade the rooms, and also add some suites. Has this happened?

Are there any suites that Plats can get upgraded to, or is the best Plat upgrade a Club room?

Thanks,
Bostonbali
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by bostonbali
When I stayed at this property about a week ago, they were undergoing construction in the public areas.

I was told that they would upgrade the rooms, and also add some suites. Has this happened?

Are there any suites that Plats can get upgraded to, or is the best Plat upgrade a Club room?

Thanks,
Bostonbali

Stayed here in Feb and in June on one night stays. No suite upgrade, just club.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
This hotel is a dump. The walls in the room are paper-thin (I have never been able to hear my neighbor's entire phone conversation before), the TVs don't have any HD channels (in 2014!) and the front desk staff was among the most uncaring I've experienced in over 600 stays at SPG hotels.

Upon check-in I asked for a room on the club floor. The woman who initially checked me in said that "there was a special amenity already in my room" on the 10th floor. I said ok and stayed with the room they'd blocked me in. When I got to the room, there was no amenity. The room faced the runway and had a massive crack in the window, allowing a LOT of airplane noise in. I changed for a meeting and went back to the front desk to tell the woman about the problem with my room. She said she'd move me, but because I had to leave for a meeting, she couldn't hold one for me. I'd have to come back (and wait in line) and do this all-over when I returned.

A few hours later I returned (with dinner to eat in my room) and explained that I needed to move rooms to a new FD agent. I told her that I preferred a room on the club floor. Instead of giving me a key, she said "I need to check on something" and disappeared in the office for 6-8 minutes. She came back with a key to the new room and said I'd be all set. I went back to my initial room, packed up and moved to the new room on the 11th floor. When I entered this room, it was about 85-90 degrees. I immediately went to the thermostat, to turn the heat off. It was unable to shut off the heat and actually said the room was 40 degrees (F)--so it was clearly broken. I now had to leave my stuff, take the elevator back down and go to the front desk. When I arrived, the same FD agent was checking-in another guest and didn't call for anyone in the back room. I probably waited 5 minutes for her to check the guest in. During this time, no other front desk agents came from their back office. After I explained the issue with the new room there was no apology, nor did she seem to care that I was now really tired and just wanted to eat dinner. After spending a few minutes looking for another room, I had to change room types and move to the complete other side of the hall. I never received an apology, and it actually seemed like I was bothering her to change rooms.

For what it's worth, the next morning the shower drain barely worked, causing a large pool of water by the time I was done with my shower (gross!)

In an effort to say one nice thing about the hotel, the club lounge was slightly-above average in its drink & snack offerings.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I had a wonderful stay here during a winter storm. Was upgraded to the club floor. Absolutely. Delightful experience. Some of the best experience sheraton can offer.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I had a wonderful stay here during a winter storm. Was upgraded to the club floor. Absolutely. Delightful experience. Some of the best experience sheraton can offer.
I've stayed here once recently. Don't know if I'd go so far as to say 'delightful' or use the word 'best.' Average to on the cusp of above average at most. Its dated (though in process of renovation from what the GM told me on our elevator ride together). Staff however were friendly. I'm not much of a pool guy, but there is a pool for those who may be interested.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I don't even know what to say about this hotel. I travel over 300 nights a year and am currently chasing Platinum status with SPG as well as the free nights promo for Sheraton. This is how I found myself here, with my family, as opposed to any of the other dozen hotels nearby.

Having seen the inside of so many different hotel rooms, it really takes quite a bit to motivate me to call the front desk about an issue. I realize people make mistakes, have bad days and overlook small things. Nobody is perfect, and so I try to understand that as I stay at all these different chains.

Some things cannot be excused though. Such as the broken window in the glass ceiling surrounding the lobby/pool. Huge shards of glass just hanging there, waiting to fall at least 50 feet directly down into the pool. You can't try to tell me that hotel staff didn't notice this when I randomly looked up and saw it on the way to my room. Certainly glad my daughter wasn't swimming.

On to the room. Our first try getting in wasn't successful as both our brand new room keys would not open the door. Back to the elevator and down to the front desk with all our luggage in tow. Back up again after problem has been fixed to find one of the most disgusting rooms I have ever seen.

First, for starters, this hotel desperately needs a renovation. But looking beyond that obvious fact is all of the following. A large booger on the chair in my room, pubic hair on the side of the bed, grape stems on the carpet, burn holes in the carpet, holes in the wall, stains on the wall, filth in the bathtub and what appeared to be some kind of sticky residue in the tub.

Apparently I can't upload pictures here otherwise I would share. When management was approached with this, they acted genuinely shocked. As if all these problems were completely unique to my room. Call me a skeptic but if a single room holds this many problems..

Needless to say we'll never stay here again.
Old May 19, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Stayed here last night. Booked a regular double room and asked if an upgrade to a Club room was available (as a Gold) and was politely denied. Agent stated Club level upgrades were only being given to Platinums. Ended up paying the $30 to upgrade.

Room is definitely showing signs of wear. Weird rust stains on the bathroom mirror. One of the under sink panels was held in with a screw. Fine for a night but really a mediocre room.

I can confirm the paper thin walls. Could hear my neighbor ordering room service and their entire conversation. Seemed like they had three or four people in the room and it was LOUD.

There is a strip mall with a few restaurants about a three minute walk away, for what it's worth.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I didn't get an upgrade as a platinum premier ambassador, despite the property having five suites. Club lounge is closed on weekends and holidays. It isn't even keycard accessible for soft beverages.

I asked for points at arrival, but was also given a voucher that covered breakfast in the breakfast-only restaurant. This could be redeemed for either the full buffet or up to $30 in items off the menu. The buffet was pretty weak. No yogurt, no fresh fruit or berries, no smoothies, no honey, no granola, and no omelet station. I also received a voucher that could be redeemed for one non-alcoholic beverage and one appetizer between 5 and 11 p.m. in the lobby bar and one "SPG gold" voucher for a free drink with no limitation as to the kind or the time when it could be redeemed. It was also valid in the lobby bar. The front desk said these vouchers are given when the club lounge is closed.

No newspapers on the weekend, either on the club floor or in the lobby.

My room on the club floor had the 55-inch LG televisions that Marriott started installing about a year or two ago.

No slippers and bathrobe. The toiletries in the bathroom were missing the mouthwash and loofah that many Sheraton properties stock. Speaking of the bathroom, this was the worst part of the room, which otherwise wasn't that outdated. The mirror, vanity, fixtures and shower-cum-tub looked original to the hotel's construction, which if I had to guess was in the late 1980s.

Oddly, the room had two complimentary bottles of Aquafina water and one bottle of Aquafina water that came with a $2 charge.

My bed was super-comfortable, including excellent feather pillows. Sheraton's pillows are better than Westin's feather pillows, but I prefer the extra-big Marriott feather pillows.

Fitness room appeared to be newly renovated. I counted five treadmills. It was large and spacious, but you have to parade yourself down to the lobby in your workout clothes.

The pool is actually fairly big and includes a separate hot tub, but it's weirdly located in the middle of the lobby atrium. Half of the rooms face inward toward the atrium and include a balcony so there is considerable noise from the lobby, from the pool, and from the lobby bar. You definitely want to avoid those rooms.

In closing, the hotel has good location for the airport and also has good cash rates (mine was $75) compared to other nearby Marriott portfolio hotels. However, the hotel is reflective of all the tired, old Sheraton properties.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Nov 4, 2018 at 9:43 am Reason: typos
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I stayed here again. My upgrade was confirmed two days ahead of time via the Marriott mobile application. When I checked in, the upgrade went missing. The managers were out of the office and the front desk claimed they couldn't upgrade me without a manager. Later at night, the duty managed called me and apologized. He said he had a suite available, but at this point I didn't want to move. One more check-in point: I was only recognized for "my loyalty." No recognition of my status. My options were breakfast in the restaurant, a local amenity (I was told it was a magazine about Detroit) and the bonus points. I took the points.

This hotel is the stereotype of Sheraton. It needs to be gutted and thoroughly renovated.

The club lounge, which was closed last time I stayed, was open. In fact, it's 24/7 keycard accessible, except on weekends. Breakfast, if you can call it that, is 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. Monday to Friday. It was potatoes, powdered eggs, sausage, muffins, bread and bagels. No yogurt and no oatmeal. I think I saw some cereal and milk. At night from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Sunday to Thursday are appetizers and drinks, except the drinks aren't complimentary. The evening food was chicken alfredo, cheese and crackers, carrots, celery and the like. Oh yeah, chocolate chip cookies. That's it.

My room was a king-sized room on the 10th floor, one floor down from the 11th floor and the club lounge. Neither of my special requests -- extra feather pillows and extra towels -- were fulfilled. Two of the beds were polyester fill and the other two were down feathers. Still no bathrobes or slippers. Most of the complimentary toiletries, including a shoe mitt and stationary, that were supposedly available upon request weren't stocked by the hotel and available. No newspapers, except for USA Today in the lobby and one copy in the club lounge.

With that said, the housekeeping does a reasonably decent job for what they have to work with. Everything was clean, despite an old product. Some better in-room lighting -- seriously, why do hotels have the worst room lighting? -- and a refreshed bathroom, along with refreshed public spaces, would make this look like a better hotel. The rooms themselves aren't that bad, but the bathroom is really old.

I would stay here again because the rates are good; maybe $25-$50 per night cheaper than the Marriott and about the same per night as the nearby Delta, which is actually worse. If the Marriott was the same or cheaper, I'd pick it over the Sheraton.

I would rather walk across the street to McDonald's for food or wait for the Sky Club lounge at the airport. I also found it funny they charge $2 for one bottle of in-room water when you get two bottles of the same water for free. Dumb.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Feb 8, 2019 at 6:35 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
I just stayed here. Got a suite upgrade. It has 11 floors and 3 elevators but only 1 elevator is working. Apparently the other 2 elevators have been broken for 2-3 weeks. Staff told me the owner won't fix the broken elevators. I tried using the stairs but you can't access some of the guest floors because some but not all doors to floors are locked from the stairs. I could see this being a major safety issue if the last remaining elevator broke or there was a fire. The suite was clean but tired like the pictures above. The bathroom looks original to the construction of the Sheraton. The massive somewhat brand new 75 inch TV in the suite was nice. With that said the housekeepers do their job keeping the room clean and functional. It was very comfortable. Lounge was basic and hardly used when I was there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.