Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2013, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Even though the thread is 2 years old, I agree that more detailed information is always welcome. Some of us might know the information already, but others won't & it will educate them.

If the person checking in has the proper form there is no need to get angry, so I can't see why it would reflect on an associate If the person checking in doesn't have the form/figured he'd use a friend's name & then does the DYKWIA thing I can see how it would be embarrassing for the associate if they ever learned of it.

The other thing that people need to know is that the FAMILY & FRIENDS RATE NO LONGER EARNS POINTS OR NIGHT CREDIT as of April 1st, 2012. So unless the rate is really, really, really cheap (not always the case, especially overseas), one needs to consider if the rate is enough to offset the no points/nights credit.

Cheers.
it's amazing how many DYKWIA's stay at the associate benefit rate......(with the proper documentation)
Old Mar 16, 2013, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bludnik
1: a guest books a visa promotion that offers 20% off if paid by visa card. guest does not have a visa card and screams at the lithuanian front desk supervisor calling her a "damn impossible german" and demands to see the gm.

2: a guest in his mid 30s books a senior discount rate for him and his wife for the weekend. they claim that the stay is a gift from his parents and will be reimbursed by them after they return from their trip and therefore they can book the senior discount.

3: a guest books an associate rate and is unable to provide associate id at checkin. claims that the rate was given by the gm; a close personal friend. the gm happens to be the the manager on duty this evening and is called over from his office. when he presents himself, the guest claims that he is friends with a different gm of a different hotel who has extended the associate rate to include him. our gm has a different opinion, but offers to refund the guest the difference between best available rate and friends & family if the gm of the other hotel confirms by email. no email received.

4: a guest books an advance purchase rate and upon checkin is furious that he has already been charged for his room and demands an upgrade, claiming that the only reason he has been charged in advance is because he is asian, and then threatens to sue the hotel.
oh how I miss those days (the one that sticks in my mind isn't related to a special rate but the 3am wakeup call from the desk because they are relocating a guest and the guest wanted me to be informed....)
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by bludnik
Some people do get upset, angry and even aggressive at checkin when they have booked the XXX rate without being eligible for the rate. it is most unfortunate.
I understand that there are those who get angry in the scenarios you mention, and it is not fun for the front desk. My point was that if a guest arrived w/ the proper F&F rate documentation/check-in went smoothly there would be no reason for the guest to be angry/it 'reflect back on the associate sponsoring'.

On a funnier note, on the last day the F&F rate was available last year to earn points/night credit I attended 2 FTers wedding in LA area. Stayed at LAX Marriott on F&F rate because I had a 6am flight & wasn't arriving to the hotel until 8-9pm, so just wanted a relatively inexpensive stay for such a short stay (it wasn't as cheap as I thought it might be but cheaper than the weekend rate by $20). Step up to the front desk smiling, I have a reservation, her (nicely) can't find it/are you sure it's for this property. Total blonde moment. I had checked out the property to find out if it was F&F eligible, told the other FTers I would be staying there - and I forgot to actually make the reservation! Luckily the F&F rate was still available, and we both had a bit of a laugh over it.

Cheers.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:32 pm

Marriott Friends and Family Voucher question...

Hello everyone! I frequent your forum here quite often but have just now joined. Tons of very useful information! That being said, I have a friend that works for Marriott. She has provided me with a voucher or "Room Rate Discount Authorization Form" to use for discounted room rates during my upcoming travels. She emailed me the completed form and told me to just print out the number of copies needed and everything would be good to go. However, on the form it reads "The original authorization form must be presented and surrendered at the front desk at time of check-in." I asked her about this and she said to not worry about it. She has worked there for quite some time so I assume she knows what she's doing but I thought I would check to see if anyone here had any knowledge as to whether or not I may encounter problems at check-in. I mean...how would they know if the voucher was an original or copy anyway???
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold

My dad worked for Marriott for years. I used those friends and family vouchers all the time. You do need the original. They won't take photo copies.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:50 pm

I would assume that I would but she says that this (email and print) is how all of her friends and family have received their discounts. I hate to keep second guessing her but don't want to end up in an awkward situation upon check-in. Is there a visible difference between the original and a copy? If so, what could it be?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold

If it's a color print, there's probably no way to tell. I had tried a black and white copy once and they wouldn't take it.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I never had an issue with a property taking a black and white copy. Not all of us have color printers, so they can't expect everyone to have colored copies.

My friend sends me PDFs of the file and I just print them out whenever I need them.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:25 pm

I was planning on printing the vouchers in color, just as the PDF is. Thank you guys VERY much for the info! I can rest a little easier now. Oh, one more question and I will quit pestering you guys....she sent me one voucher and said that I can just make 3 copies and use each at the motels that I will be visiting on my vacation. As far as I can tell, there is no number on the voucher that would identify it individually. Meaning...I assume that she is correct? Well..as long as I use it before the given 60 days is up.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
I just print several copies of the pdf (on my color printer) and put then in my bag for when I travel. I just pull out one of the copies and have never had a problem. There is no serial number or anything - they are all the same.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: CX DM
U shouldn't have a problem
Most of the time u just need to print it out
Old Jun 8, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, United MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I have been using the emailed black and white forms for over 2 years at maybe 10+
properties, and have never had a problem
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhiloBeddoe2
I asked her about this and she said to not worry about it. She has worked there for quite some time so I assume she knows what she's doing but I thought I would check to see if anyone here...
You don't trust your friend's professional advice and need reassurance from anonymous IBB posters?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:43 am

Haha! Well, as I said, I guess I just needed some reassurance. As much as I am sure my friends info is correct, it conflicted with what was on the voucher itself. Obviously, that was cause for concern. I figured if others had experience using these vouchers then why not inquire. Thank you guys SO much for your help! Greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
I worked at front desk for ritz Carlton, the PDF printed copy is more than enough. I have given them to dozens of people without a problem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.