Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Can you get points for meals when you're staying at the hotel but pay cash?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2011, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Another thread got me thinking about the topic.

On a recent stay at "Sharon's Place" in London (aka, Grosvenor House) I knew I was going to be out w/ FTers & celebrating my birthday the entire time, and thus wouldn't be using the restaurant, bar, etc. Given the exchange rate & not wanting to tie up another $500 on my credit card for incidental holds when I didn't anticipate charging anything, I paid for my room on check-in.

On the last night I decided to stay in rather than go out, and ordered room service. I paid with cash & was given a room service receipt showing I paid.

I know you can't get points when you eat at a Marriott but aren't staying there.

But what if you ARE staying there? Could you fax in the room service receipt plus the hotel folio to get the points, or is there some rule it has to appear on the folio with a credit card?

Granted I don't do it often, but it was a pricey room service tab especially w/ the exchange rate & would have netted me a # of points.

Thoughts? Input?

Cheers.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Has to be charged to the room folio.

Starwood allows you to fax in bill, even if you are not an overnight guest. Marriott does not.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by gardener
Has to be charged to the room folio.

Starwood allows you to fax in bill, even if you are not an overnight guest. Marriott does not.
I only did that once and what you say was my experience.

Bobette
Old Mar 19, 2011, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Bummer, but what I thought.

I get the not a guest part, but I figured if you could show you were a guest at the time you were utilizing Marriott room service, restaurant or food yet chose to pay cash, that it might be considered.

Cheers.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Bummer, but what I thought.

I get the not a guest part, but I figured if you could show you were a guest at the time you were utilizing Marriott room service, restaurant or food yet chose to pay cash, that it might be considered.

Cheers.
this is easy.. make a copy of the room service bill, send it in the same fax as the folio from your stay... they can see the dates you stayed and the date/time the food was ordered and they should know you were a guest in the hotel, pretty obvious..

try doing that and see where it gets you.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justspg
this is easy.. make a copy of the room service bill, send it in the same fax as the folio from your stay... they can see the dates you stayed and the date/time the food was ordered and they should know you were a guest in the hotel, pretty obvious..

try doing that and see where it gets you.
Can't hurt to try. If it works I have another 1,600 in my account. If it doesn't , I'm not out anything as I don't have them right now.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.