Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

London Heathrow Renaissance Trip Report Feb 2012 (w/ pics)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2011, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

I was here 2 times in Feb 2011 & 2012, both during the week & on weekend.

I usually stay here vs the Marriott because the Renaissance is always cheaper than the Marriott.

Pictures of the property:

http://public.fotki.com/SkiAdcock/ho...-heathrow-ren/

Getting to/from there from Heathrow:

If you go to the central bus station (think it's near T2) at Heathrow, there are a # of those red double-decker busses that run along Bath Road, & both LHR Ren & Marriott fall in the 'free zone'.

If you're coming into T1/2/3 (I've not flown in/out of T5, so my directions are for T1/2/3), just follow the signs for the HEX/Picadilly Line/Bus Station. When you get to the Picadilly line entrance, either take the elevator or escalator upstairs to the bus terminal. You’ll see the signs for it. I took the free bus from Heathrow. I took 111, but 105, 140 also go past the hotel. Stands 19-20 are the stands you want to pick up the bus at Central Bus Station.

The bus stops across the street from the Ren, about 50-75 yards away from the intersection. You'll see the Ren on the right side as you get close. It's the 2nd or 3rd stop after leaving Heathrow, & Marriott is one past it. You need to cross over at the street light/intersection to the Ren.

On returning to LHR, you exit the Ren, turn right & about 50 yards is the bus stop. It's the last bus stop before Heathrow, which makes the return to the airport pretty easy.

BTW – if you’re staying at the Ren & want to go into the city via the tube, you can hop the bus back to LHR & pick up the Picadilly line there, or cross the street where you get dropped off & continue down to Hatton Cross & catch the Picadilly line there.

On the 2nd of the 2 trips in '11 I decided to do the Hoppa back to LHR. It’d been a while since I used the Hoppa, and wanted to report on the experience. Truthfully unless you have a boatload of luggage, I’d save the 4.50GBP fare & just stick w/ the free bus. If you do have a lot of luggage, then the Hoppa might be worth considering.

The advantage of the Hoppa is that it comes straight to the hotel entrance, and they’ll wait as long as it takes you to schlep your luggage on-board (note: the Hoppa driver does not help you with luggage), and it drops you at Terminals 1 & 3 as well as Terminals 4 & 5 (dif Hoppas, but they have signage on them to distinguish between the 2) directly vs having to walk from the central bus station to the terminals. There are plenty of luggage carts at the central bus station/airport for you to put your luggage on if you want to do that vs carrying your rollaboard behind you while walking to/from the terminals from the central bus station.

There is a machine in the lobby of the hotel that sells Hoppa tickets, but you can also just buy one from the driver.

Hotel:

The hotel is quite long & has 650 rooms. It also has meeting rooms, etc.

The lobby area has been renovated & is quite nice. Lobby is quite large and located on the ground floor (main floor/floor 1 to the Yanks). At one end is the bar & restaurant. At the other is the gift shop, etc.

Also, there is now a Starbucks off of the lobby, including with cafe tables. The Starbucks opened recently. You can enter it from the lobby or from outside the hotel.

There is a gift shop on the ground floor that has a lot of stuff, including power adapter/plug thingies if you forget one. Because the rooms have not been renovated yet, there is no "American" style plug, which other properties have. Also, if someone is a model airplane buff, this giftshop is definitely your place! I have never seen so many model airplanes (including Boeing's Dreamlifter) in my life! Perhaps it's not surprising given the property overlooks the runways & they offer a Planespotters special. They also sell basic toiletries, t-shirts, Wedgwood & Waterford, etc.

There is a currency exchange booth and also a hair salon on the ground floor. There is also an automated machine to buy Hoppa tickets (don't - stick w/ the free bus).

Health Club/Fitness area:

On the lower level there is a fitness club, which has a lot of cardio equipment. Weights too, although not as robust as the cardio. They offer yoga, etc, classes at lunchtime, so there is a room for that. Also noticed that they offer massages (30 60, 90 min options - similar pricing 30, 60, 90).

Bar/restaurant:

I’ve never eaten in the restaurant. Even when my room rate includes breakfast I usually don’t make it. Others have mentioned it’s ok.

I noticed when I walked by the bar in the afternoon (in '11) that they had a small sign saying they had a 'special' going during the Arsenal vs (forgot who - Man United?) game. A pitcher of beer for 16GBP or a burger & beer for 13GBP. They have a large screen telly there, so if someone is staying here & into sports, a place to watch it.

Also, about a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel is The Pheasant pub, which gets good reviews from local FTers.

Check-in:

The front desk staff were quite friendly & cheerful. They asked me if I would like a glass of orange juice or sparkling wine/champagne while I was checking in, which is new since the last time I was here. I took the sparkling wine/champagne & it actually was decent.

The Front desk has a Marriott elite check in line (only day it's not open is Sat; guess they don't get many elites on Sat, or folk in general that they need the elite line). There's also a separate Air Crew check-in line, so if one of the crews comes in you're not waiting forever behind them.

They gave me the hours of the exec lounge for food, and mentioned that booze is free.

They also mentioned they're going to start doing room renovations this year, but due to $$ and that the hotel has 650 rooms it will take a while.

Probably because of its size & because it’s an airport hotel, they’re quite good about letting you check in early (think 6/7am’ish).

Platinum arrival gift:

This is one of the few hotels I take the gift vs the points because they do a nice cheese & biscuits tray (3 types of cheese, fresh fruit, crackers, applesauce & celery) & they give you a 1/2 bottle of French red wine if you go w/ the wine. If I'm not super hungry, it's fine as a snack/dinner. It came up about 15 minutes after I got to the room both times.

Internet:

My rate included free internet, but I would get it as a Platinum anyway (as do Golds). They give you a VIP Login Pass for the wireless. When you're connecting look for Global Suite to connect to, and then put in the code. I forgot to look at what internet would be for daily rate if you had to pay for it, but I remember it being pricey from a prior trip.

Room:

I was on the 3rd floor both times, which is also the level the executive lounge is located. Please note this is a big hotel – quite long – and it can be quite a walk to your room. They have a map/layout of the rooms, so you might want to look to see where you’re at before determining to walk w/ your luggage or get a bellman.

The room is small (as are most of them), but I'm used to that. Room has bathrobe & slippers (at least in the rooms I’ve been in).

The rooms will probably still be small after renovation. And right now because they haven't been renovated, they are somewhat 'tired'. But truthfully I just view them as an old favorite bathrobe that's seen its better days, but you still wear it. And given the price of the hotel the bathrobe is fine. If I were paying Grosvenor House prices I'd probably not be thrilled about this property, but I'm not. On weekends the rate at this property is usually quite inexpensive, and even during the week it’s less than other properties.

There is a tea maker in the room, along w/ tea. The minibar is empty/closed, but there's a sign that you can call room service if you want minibar options & they'll bring it up.

Bathroom has shampoo, conditioner, bath gel & body lotion, soap bars, and q-tips & cotton balls. Room also has trouser press & in-room safe in the closet.

There is a desk area, as well as a chair & small coffee/end table. As mentioned, the room is small so it’s all quite ‘cozy’.

Not sure this will stay w/ the new renovation (whenever that happens), but one of the things I like is the 'do not disturb' & 'make up room' switches next to the bed, which triggers the appropriate light next to the door outside, so the maid knows not to knock or knows if you want your room cleaned.

Also a master light switch next to the bed (as well as the door), so if you're in bed you can push the master & turn out the lights without doing them all individually. Same when exiting the room.

Executive lounge:

There is a slot to put your room key in, which opens up the door. There is an attendant there, and s/he will ask for your room number. When you’re exiting the lounge, there is a button to push that opens up the door. The lounge is open 7days/week.

The lounge is quite long, and has windows running along one side with great views of LHR and the runways.

There is a bathroom in the lounge. There are also 2 internet terminals. There are a # of tables (2-tops), and at one end of the lounge are couches & chairs in front of the television.

Based on dif reports I was expecting food to be ‘eh’ or minimal. Not so! They had lamb casserole, fusilli w/ tomato sauce, cummin rice, fresh veggies w/ dip, cabbage salad, garden salad, chick peas, as well as some nice pastries for dessert. People were definitely making dinner out of the offerings. Day 2 on the evening apps: Chicken Tikka, Penne w/ tomato sauce, steamed rice, fish & rice salad, pasta salad, potato salad, cous cous, fresh veggies w/ dip, and then the pastries for dessert.

There's an attendant that goes around asking if you'd like wine or beer & brings it to you. Wine & beer is free. They keep it in the kitchen rather than out. The soft drinks are in the small fridge, and coffee/tea machine is right there.

Full spread for breakfast too. Fresh fruit either cubed or in slices, yogurt, salad mixings, cheese, meats, hard boiled eggs, sausage, scrambled eggs (think from mix though; they weren't that great), 4 types of cereal, oatmeal, toast, pastries, and something else I'm missing. Tables were preset with silverware, napkin & placemat.

Summary:

It's a decent choice for folk who want or need to stay near the airport. If someone wants Grosvenor House style (and prices), they have that option in the city. For someone who needs a play to stay at a usually cheap price near the airport, it's definitely a viable option. I've stayed here many times in the past & will in the future.

Hope this trip report helps.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Sep 14, 2012 at 5:06 pm Reason: update w/ info based on most recent stay...
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I was here 2 times in Feb 2011. Both times were during the week, so the exec lounge was open w/ brekkie & evening offerings. However, I have stayed here many times on the weekend when the lounge is officially closed, but key accessible for i-net terminal access, tea/coffee/soft drinks & of course runway watching.

I usually stay here vs the Marriott because the Renaissance is always cheaper than the Marriott.

Pictures of the property:

http://public.fotki.com/SkiAdcock/ho...-heathrow-ren/

Getting to/from there from Heathrow:

If you go to the central bus station (think it's near T2) at Heathrow, there are a # of those red double-decker busses that run along Bath Road, & both LHR Ren & Marriott fall in the 'free zone'.

If you're coming into T1/2/3 (I've not flown in/out of T5, so my directions are for T1/2/3), just follow the signs for the HEX/Picadilly Line/Bus Station. When you get to the Picadilly line entrance, either take the elevator or escalator upstairs to the bus terminal. You’ll see the signs for it. I took the free bus from Heathrow. I took 111, but 105, 140 also go past the hotel. Stands 19-20 are the stands you want to pick up the bus at Central Bus Station.

The bus stops across the street from the Ren, about 50-75 yards away from the intersection. You'll see the Ren on the right side as you get close. It's the 2nd or 3rd stop after leaving Heathrow, & Marriott is one past it. You need to cross over at the street light/intersection to the Ren.

On returning to LHR, you exit the Ren, turn right & about 50 yards is the bus stop. It's the last bus stop before Heathrow, which makes the return to the airport pretty easy.

BTW – if you’re staying at the Ren & want to go into the city via the tube, you can hop the bus back to LHR & pick up the Picadilly line there, or cross the street where you get dropped off & continue down to Hatton Cross & catch the Picadilly line there. I just normally go back to Heathrow & catch it there.

On the 2nd of the 2 trips this month I decided to do the Hoppa back to LHR. It’d been a while since I used the Hoppa, and wanted to report on the experience. Truthfully unless you have a boatload of luggage, I’d save the 4.50GBP fare & just stick w/ the free bus. If you do have a lot of luggage, then the Hoppa might be worth considering.

The advantage of the Hoppa is that it comes straight to the hotel entrance, and they’ll wait as long as it takes you to schlep your luggage on-board (note: the Hoppa driver doesn’t help you with luggage), and it drops you at Terminals 1 & 3 as well as Terminals 4 & 5 (dif Hoppas, but they have signage on them to distinguish between the 2) directly vs having to walk from the central bus station to the terminals. There are plenty of luggage carts at the central bus station/airport for you to put your luggage on if you want to do that vs carrying your rollaboard behind you while walking to/from the terminals from the central bus station.

There is a machine in the lobby of the hotel that sells Hoppa tickets, but you can also just buy one from the driver.

Hotel:

The hotel is quite long & has 650 rooms. It also has meeting rooms, etc.

The lobby area has been renovated & is quite nice. Lobby is quite large and located on the ground floor (main floor/floor 1 to the Yanks). At one end is the bar & restaurant. At the other is the gift shop, etc.

Also, there is now a Starbucks off of the lobby, including with cafe tables. The Starbucks opened recently. You can enter it from the lobby or from outside the hotel.

There is a gift shop on the ground floor that has a lot of stuff, including power adapter/plug thingies if you forget one. Because the rooms have not been renovated yet, there is no "American" style plug, which other properties have. Also, if someone is a model airplane buff, this giftshop is definitely your place! I have never seen so many model airplanes (including Boeing's Dreamlifter) in my life! Perhaps it's not surprising given the property overlooks the runways & they offer a Planespotters special. They also sell basic toiletries, t-shirts, Wedgwood & Waterford, etc.

There is a currency exchange booth and also a hair salon on the ground floor. There is also an automated machine to buy Hoppa tickets (don't - stick w/ the free bus).

Health Club/Fitness area:

On the lower level there is a fitness club, which has a lot of cardio equipment. Weights too, although not as robust as the cardio. They offer yoga, etc, classes at lunchtime, so there is a room for that. Also noticed that they offer massages (30 60, 90 min options - similar pricing 30, 60, 90).

Bar/restaurant:

I’ve never eaten in the restaurant. Even when my room rate includes breakfast I usually don’t make it. Others have mentioned it’s ok.

I noticed when I walked by the bar in the afternoon that they had a small sign saying they had a 'special' going during the Arsenal vs (forgot who - Man United?) game. A pitcher of beer for 16GBP or a burger & beer for 13GBP. They have a large screen telly there, so if someone is staying here & into sports, a place to watch it.

Also, about a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel is The Pheasant pub, which gets good reviews from local FTers.

Check-in:

The front desk staff were quite friendly & cheerful. They asked me if I would like a glass of orange juice or sparkling wine/champagne while I was checking in, which is new since the last time I was here. I took the sparkling wine/champagne & it actually was decent.

The Front desk has a Marriott elite check in line (only day it's not open is Sat; guess they don't get many elites on Sat, or folk in general that they need the elite line). There's also a separate Air Crew check-in line, so if one of the crews comes in you're not waiting forever behind them.

They gave me the hours of the exec lounge for food, and mentioned that booze is free.

They also mentioned they're going to start doing room renovations this year, but due to $$ and that the hotel has 650 rooms it will take a while.

Probably because of its size & because it’s an airport hotel, they’re quite good about letting you check in early (think 6/7am’ish).

Platinum arrival gift:

This is one of the few hotels I take the gift vs the points because they do a nice cheese & biscuits tray (3 types of cheese, fresh fruit, crackers, applesauce & celery) & they give you a 1/2 bottle of French red wine if you go w/ the wine. If I'm not super hungry, it's fine as a snack/dinner. It came up about 15 minutes after I got to the room both times.

Internet:

My rate included free internet, but I would get it as a Platinum anyway (as do Golds). They give you a VIP Login Pass for the wireless. When you're connecting look for Global Suite to connect to, and then put in the code. I forgot to look at what internet would be for daily rate if you had to pay for it, but I remember it being pricey from a prior trip.

Room:

I was on the 3rd floor both times, which is also the level the executive lounge is located. Please note this is a big hotel – quite long – and it can be quite a walk to your room. They have a map/layout of the rooms, so you might want to look to see where you’re at before determining to walk w/ your luggage or get a bellman.

The room is small (as are most of them), but I'm used to that. Room has bathrobe & slippers (at least in the rooms I’ve been in).

The rooms will probably still be small after renovation. And right now because they haven't been renovated, they are somewhat 'tired'. But truthfully I just view them as an old favorite bathrobe that's seen its better days, but you still wear it. And given the price of the hotel the bathrobe is fine. If I were paying Grosvenor House prices I'd probably not be thrilled about this property, but I'm not. On weekends the rate at this property is usually quite inexpensive, and even during the week it’s less than other properties.

There is a tea maker in the room, along w/ tea. The minibar is empty/closed, but there's a sign that you can call room service if you want minibar options & they'll bring it up.

Bathroom has shampoo, conditioner, bath gel & body lotion, soap bars, and q-tips & cotton balls. Room also has trouser press & in-room safe in the closet.

There is a desk area, as well as a chair & small coffee/end table. As mentioned, the room is small so it’s all quite ‘cozy’.

Not sure this will stay w/ the new renovation, but one of the things I like is the 'do not disturb' & 'make up room' switches next to the bed, which triggers the appropriate light next to the door outside, so the maid knows not to knock or knows if you want your room cleaned.

Also a master light switch next to the bed (as well as the door), so if you're in bed you can push the master & turn out the lights without doing them all individually. Same when exiting the room.

Executive lounge:

There is a slot to put your room key in, which opens up the door. There is an attendant there, and s/he will ask for your room number. When you’re exiting the lounge, there is a button to push that opens up the door.

The lounge is quite long, and has windows running along one side with great views of LHR and the runways.

There is a bathroom in the lounge. There are also 2 internet terminals. There are a # of tables (2-tops), and at one end of the lounge are couches & chairs in front of the television.

Based on dif reports I was expecting food to be ‘eh’ or minimal. Not so! They had lamb casserole, fusilli w/ tomato sauce, cummin rice, fresh veggies w/ dip, cabbage salad, garden salad, chick peas, as well as some nice pastries for dessert. People were definitely making dinner out of the offerings. Day 2 on the evening apps: Chicken Tikka, Penne w/ tomato sauce, steamed rice, fish & rice salad, pasta salad, potato salad, cous cous, fresh veggies w/ dip, and then the pastries for dessert.

There's an attendant that goes around asking if you'd like wine or beer & brings it to you. Wine & beer is free. They keep it in the kitchen rather than out. The soft drinks are in the small fridge, and coffee/tea machine is right there.

Full spread for breakfast too. Fresh fruit either cubed or in slices, yogurt, salad mixings, cheese, meats, hard boiled eggs, sausage, scrambled eggs (think from mix though; they weren't that great), 4 types of cereal, oatmeal, toast, pastries, and something else I'm missing. Tables were preset with silverware, napkin & placemat.

Summary:

It's a decent choice for folk who want or need to stay near the airport. If someone wants Grosvenor House style (and prices), they have that option in the city. For someone who needs a play to stay at a usually cheap price near the airport, it's definitely a viable option. I've stayed here many times in the past & will in the future.

Hope this trip report helps.

Cheers.
What a great review of the hotel. I often stay there before a flight, and will do again on the 10th March. I agree that its not generally an expensive hotel to stay in, but they really must renovate their rooms which are very tired, and also the executive lounge is drab and has old furniture and fittings/decor. Being cheap in price doesn't have to mean cheap decor - take a look at the Courtyard at Gatwick, very stylish and comfortable rooms, much more like Renaissance styles being introduced elsewhere, even though its a Courtyard. I know Gatwick is a new build, but LHR Renaissance does need an upgrade.

Also, as nice as the gym/spa area is now, the opening hours are ridiculous if you want a sauna or steam, as they close so early. Why can't they remain on until around 10pm? I often stay there having arrived straight from work and could do with a relaxing sauna/steam.

Apart from the rooms/exec lounge and operating hours in the spa, it is a very convenient property for LHR and good value. The Marriott is much nicer (on the same road) but is usually more expensive, though not excessively.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
They did mention when I was there that renovation of the rooms will start this year, and I'm assuming they'll do the executive lounge at the same time. Given the hotel has 650 rooms I'm assuming it's going to take a while. I didn't ask if they were doing it floor by floor or wing by wing.

I think the health club is outsourced because I know they offer local memberships. But it's probably worth putting on the hotel comment card your thoughts about extending the hours.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.