Wiki Posts
Search

W Austin, Texas [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu
Indeed and agreed, was trying my hand at sarcasm...
I caught your sarcasm and raised you a " ".

Old Jun 28, 2011, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
wow it's "closed until further notice" due to the glass. I guess the comments regarding cheap construction were accurate:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...=breaking_news
Old Jun 28, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tdb27
wow it's "closed until further notice" due to the glass. I guess the comments regarding cheap construction were accurate:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...=breaking_news
Yikes, what a mess...

I bet whoever installed the glass is feellin' the heat right about now

Regards
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:07 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Yikes, what a mess...

I bet whoever installed the glass is feellin' the heat right about now

Regards
I wonder how many property owners there are calling lawyers, since they are no doubt unable to use their balconies in a condo that they paid top dollar for. Silly.

Edit: might be a good time to try to buy one... I cant imagine many people are in that line.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:51 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Silver, UA 1K, DL Silver
Cool

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/7631327.html

I was just coming to post this article, but looks like you all beat me to it. Glad I just finished a stay here over the weekend.

I was going to also mention that I was impressed with the hotel. Cash and points stay and they got me into a room with two queens, which was very appreciated. The person at checkin said he would get me into a cool-corner suite next time I stayed there after I asked to get into one this stay. He said all suites had been booked by a wedding party. I told him I would be very impressed if he got me into a cool corner suite next time I was there, which is for Austin city limits. I am not holding my breath on that one.

The room was typical w. No door for the main bathroom, but there was a door for the toilet. Pretty hopping bar, but we didn't get drinks there despite the 20% off they were offering. The chargers on the night stand was a great touch. All the main plugs of micro, mini usbs, and an ipod charger. They didn't charge for valet, which I had thought they were supposed to, but it could be free for guests. (I can look it up later.)

Post check out, received a 53 dollar charge. I had them email me my updated folio which had 53 dollars of munchie bar charges. I called them and said I had a water, which should be free with platinum. I did tell them that it was probably a confusion with my friend putting the snacks in a cupboard so he wouldn't eat them later. I didn't really understand why be did that and told him not to, but he did it. So our fault obviously. She said she would reverse the charges and it would show up in five days. They were very nice and it was considerably easier than many hotels, which could have been a reflection of all of their other issues today. Overall, very positive stay, but I was not in the room for very long and only for one night.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
W Austin is closed

The W has closed to replace glass on Balconies.

The City has closed streets around hotel until further notice.

Last edited by nonesuch flyer; Jun 28, 2011 at 9:06 pm Reason: added street closing information
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
W Austin is closed

The W has closed to replace glass on Balconies.
Isn't that exactly what tdb27 said in post #32 and in fact cited the source article?

Or did you just need to reiterate?

Regards
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by gdemander
The person at checkin said he would get me into a cool-corner suite next time I stayed there after I asked to get into one this stay.
It's turning out the the W Hotel Austin "Cool Corner Suites" are indeed perhaps the coolest in the W system right now, you know, well... without their windows and all...

Regards
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Isn't that exactly what tdb27 said in post #32 and in fact cited the source article?

Or did you just need to reiterate?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It's turning out the the W Hotel Austin "Cool Corner Suites" are indeed perhaps the coolest in the W system right now, you know, well... without their windows and all...

Regards
It's summertime in TX. Without windows to hold the AC in, the rooms are most certainly not cool.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Silver, UA 1K, DL Silver
Originally Posted by swag
It's summertime in TX. Without windows to hold the AC in, the rooms are most certainly not cool.
Base jumping is pretty cool...

Also, another 7 fell and they have closed off the streets next to the hotel. (They had reopened them earlier today but just closed them again.)

And two of the original people that had panels fall on them while at the pool have filed law suits.

Last edited by gdemander; Jun 28, 2011 at 9:53 pm
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:54 pm

Programs: SPG, Wyndham, AA
Oddly enough I just left W Austin earlier today.

Checked in around noon on Monday, as I was informed by SPG that the pool was closed (from the 1st glass incident) I asked the Welcome Desk if there was any alternatives. They directed me to an adjacent condo building "Amili" to use their pool. It was sorta a bummer not having the usual amenities, towels, bar, and servers. Oh well, though upon our stroll back to the hotel we witnessed the commotion/ aftermath of more glass raining down on the streets.

Through out the evening and this morning there was a strong presence of "suits" out near the front entrance. I also received a notice on my door addressing the issue and assurance of my safety.

Upon my departure I made a jokingly remark about the strong breeze in my room *oops*

http://www.statesman.com/business/w-...s-1568490.html
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by swag
I know, I live here, but I just couldn't pass up making that crack!

Regards
Old Jul 17, 2011, 3:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/07/17...ravel&emc=tda3
Old Sep 3, 2011, 10:25 am

Falling glass aside, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind assisting someone who's never stayed in a W before make sure he's making the right choice.

Austin is, unfortunately, a particularly poor city for good hotels. My typical brand is Ritz-Carlton, with the occasional Four Seasons or Renaissance for good measure. I travel on work-purposes, but my work doesn't necessitate 9-5 days, but rather sporadic phone calls and memorandum writing. Thus, I spend a good deal of time in my room and around the hotel facilities. The only other real choice in Austin, the Four Seasons, is both a bit dilapidated and hideously overpriced. I should also mention that I typically book through Amex FHR, which includes breakfast, an upgrade, late checkout, and an amenity (usually $100 F&B/spa). I'd very much like to try out the W on my next Austin trip, but my concerns are as follows:

- Noise. My understanding is that the W gets a younger, more party-oriented set. I'm young, but I work. Is noise a consistent issue here or is the sound-proofing solid and a strong business contingent present?

- Service. The Whatever/Whenever concept seems most similar to the Renaissance 'at your service' button. I"m not expecting Four Seasons levels of help, but housekeeping on demand, responsive front desk agents and managers, and simple requests like towels and toiletries dealt with in a timely manner. Is this fair or is it possible I"ll spend half my time waiting for things?

- Simple question. How's the food?

I've booked a Fabulous room, and had confirmed an upgrade to a Corner Suite based on SPG Gold status and incentive to move from the FS.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by nba1017; Sep 4, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.