Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2023, 1:15 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold
Just got back from six days at the resort during the first half of August. We were a family of 12 including two kids under 4. We had a total of 5 rooms -- 4 regular rooms and 1 suite.

I actually can't believe I'm typing this, as I often read reviews of high-end products (on the air or on the ground) on these forums and roll my eyes when people nit pick over small things -- but our entire trip was seemingly snakebit by minor things. Admittedly they're all minor -- we had a great time -- but as a family accustomed to Four Seasons and the like, the service here was a full notch below. The positives: the staff was fabulous. Clearly well-trained and friendly in all interactions, but as someone mentioned upthread, there just weren't enough of them. Things took forever -- and we're fine with Island Time and the idea that service isn't always as prompt, but room service and poolside service took entire too long. (i.e. 75 minutes for pizzas for the kids). Little things like one member of our party ordered coffee service to the room each morning (confirmed at check-in) and all six mornings it came to a different room, only actually being delivered to their room once of the six mornings. Was it difficult for me to pick up the tray and carry it two doors down? No. But should that happen at what TSR is charging for a room, not to mention the coffee itself? Also no.

Every time we came back to our "casa" there was a parade of glasses, plates, etc., set out front, sometimes for hours on end. They'd be there when we arrived back from a day out, and still there 2-3 hours later after we'd showered, napped, etc., and were ready to head out for dinner.

As someone else mentioned -- getting uber is basically impossible at the resort due its remote location. The butler/concierge staff was great about securing taxis for us when we wanted to venture out, and the taxis always arrived on-time and had the appropriate number of seats we requested - but they were very expensive.

The food at the resort was...fine. It ranged between edible and decent...nothing great, but that's fine. Not every trip has to be a "foodie" trip. The views was gorgeous. The pool is great. Would we come back? Probably not when there's better choices in the Caribbean, not to mention across the world, but it was a perfectly fine family vacation where the 12 of us enjoyed each other (except for the occasional fight lol) and made great memories together, which at the end of the day, is the goal.
bizum likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by plinko83
Just got back from six days at the resort during the first half of August. We were a family of 12 including two kids under 4. We had a total of 5 rooms -- 4 regular rooms and 1 suite.

I actually can't believe I'm typing this, as I often read reviews of high-end products (on the air or on the ground) on these forums and roll my eyes when people nit pick over small things -- but our entire trip was seemingly snakebit by minor things. Admittedly they're all minor -- we had a great time -- but as a family accustomed to Four Seasons and the like, the service here was a full notch below. The positives: the staff was fabulous. Clearly well-trained and friendly in all interactions, but as someone mentioned upthread, there just weren't enough of them. Things took forever -- and we're fine with Island Time and the idea that service isn't always as prompt, but room service and poolside service took entire too long. (i.e. 75 minutes for pizzas for the kids). Little things like one member of our party ordered coffee service to the room each morning (confirmed at check-in) and all six mornings it came to a different room, only actually being delivered to their room once of the six mornings. Was it difficult for me to pick up the tray and carry it two doors down? No. But should that happen at what TSR is charging for a room, not to mention the coffee itself? Also no.

Every time we came back to our "casa" there was a parade of glasses, plates, etc., set out front, sometimes for hours on end. They'd be there when we arrived back from a day out, and still there 2-3 hours later after we'd showered, napped, etc., and were ready to head out for dinner.

As someone else mentioned -- getting uber is basically impossible at the resort due its remote location. The butler/concierge staff was great about securing taxis for us when we wanted to venture out, and the taxis always arrived on-time and had the appropriate number of seats we requested - but they were very expensive.

The food at the resort was...fine. It ranged between edible and decent...nothing great, but that's fine. Not every trip has to be a "foodie" trip. The views was gorgeous. The pool is great. Would we come back? Probably not when there's better choices in the Caribbean, not to mention across the world, but it was a perfectly fine family vacation where the 12 of us enjoyed each other (except for the occasional fight lol) and made great memories together, which at the end of the day, is the goal.
Couldnt agree more with the food comment. Adjust your expectations for "resort" level food and you wont be disappointed. Any specific activities you would recommend that your kids under 4 participated in or enjoyed?
Old Oct 3, 2023, 9:03 am

Plinko83 - you experience mirrors ours back in February. Like you, I understand Island Time but there are limits. We used points for our stay. Had we paid cash rate, I would have been upset.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 7:57 am

Staying here soon with the wife & 4 y/o. We were looking for a nice secluded resort and this checked several of the boxes we were looking for. I have a few questions for those who have stayed recently?

We plan on renting a car. Is there ample parking and if so is there a parking cost?

The biggest gripe here appears to be the food. Are there places nearby or in San Juan that are must visit? We are all avid food lovers (even the 4 y/o) and are looking for some memorable dining options. We'd love anything from an amazing food truck/stand on up to fine dining. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

This is our first time at a St Regis (normally JW or RC) and wondering how the butler service works. Is there a dedicated butler? Should I be tipping the butler each time?

Last question, what's the most memorable thing you or your family did on site? Could be anything; a dish, a drink, activity, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by mcsb11
Staying here soon with the wife & 4 y/o. We were looking for a nice secluded resort and this checked several of the boxes we were looking for. I have a few questions for those who have stayed recently?

We plan on renting a car. Is there ample parking and if so is there a parking cost?

The biggest gripe here appears to be the food. Are there places nearby or in San Juan that are must visit? We are all avid food lovers (even the 4 y/o) and are looking for some memorable dining options. We'd love anything from an amazing food truck/stand on up to fine dining. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

This is our first time at a St Regis (normally JW or RC) and wondering how the butler service works. Is there a dedicated butler? Should I be tipping the butler each time?

Last question, what's the most memorable thing you or your family did on site? Could be anything; a dish, a drink, activity, etc.

For food, check out Luquillo. Lots of good options. We are partial to El Rincón de Sabor (in the back of a gift shop, not fine dining but the best versions of mofongo, asopao, etc., in our opinion). The kiosks (food stalls but closer to restaurants) in Luquillo are also fun. Some higher end options around as well. There are a handful of sought-after restaurants in San Juan but not worth the detour from the St.R in my opinion. Do that when you're staying in San Juan. Or maybe if you go into San Juan for a day, have a meal there.

Valet parking was reasonable (sub-$30/day I think).

Butler is just a team thing, not a dedicated person; tip as you would tip ordinary hotel staff IMO. This isn't like Maldives butlers.

Favorite thing for us is long walks up and down the long beach finding sand dollars.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 9:49 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos

Plenty of parking, fee as just mentioned. Not sure if you can self-park, we didn't try.

Our favorite nearby restaurant was Richie's - Richies Restaurant – There is nothing like a spectacular view to enhance a delicious dining experience (richiesrestaurantpr.com) Good food at good prices and spectacular views
Old Oct 9, 2023, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
For food, check out Luquillo. Lots of good options. We are partial to El Rincón de Sabor (in the back of a gift shop, not fine dining but the best versions of mofongo, asopao, etc., in our opinion). The kiosks (food stalls but closer to restaurants) in Luquillo are also fun. Some higher end options around as well. There are a handful of sought-after restaurants in San Juan but not worth the detour from the St.R in my opinion. Do that when you're staying in San Juan. Or maybe if you go into San Juan for a day, have a meal there.

Valet parking was reasonable (sub-$30/day I think).

Butler is just a team thing, not a dedicated person; tip as you would tip ordinary hotel staff IMO. This isn't like Maldives butlers.

Favorite thing for us is long walks up and down the long beach finding sand dollars.
The resort is a bit isolated, I would not want to drive back and forth to San Juan for dinner. We love OSJ but it is at least a 35 minute drive each way.

On prior trips (not to StR) we had good luck with restaurants when asking the bell/valet stand for recommendations.

Yes to the sand dollar walks on the beach!

The butler service was nothing special but then again, we just used it for coffee and breakfast.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 12:58 pm

Thank you everyone for the responses. Greatly appreciated! We're looking forward to a relaxing trip.

Has anyone had luck with status upgrades to other rooms? This will be my last trip as an Ambassador for a while.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Thank you everyone for the responses. Greatly appreciated! We're looking forward to a relaxing trip.

Has anyone had luck with status upgrades to other rooms? This will be my last trip as an Ambassador for a while.
Historically this property has been very good with upgrades up to and including the suites (St. Regis, Luxury, and Astor), as long as they are available at check-in. And I've never experienced (or had anyone I know experience) the all-too-common-elsewhere situation where the website shows that a suite is available and they tell you that there aren't any.

That said, ever since the cryptocurrency nouveau riche moved to Puerto Rico, this place has been selling its suites pretty successfully. I've been lucky the past few trips but if the suites are sold out, don't be surprised.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 10:53 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Does anyone know what rooms are in the SNA pool for this property? I have a stay booked for 2024, but my current SNAs will expire before then so I can't view. I still need to make Choice selections for this year, but I hate when I pick SNAs and the rooms in the pool are garbage like "Deluxe King with upgraded view".
Old Oct 25, 2023, 1:52 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
I was unable to use SNA's at this property, and I believe that is the general consensus from others as well.
bizum likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 3:39 pm

Do We Need a Car for St. Regis Bahia Visit?

Hello FlyerTalk community,

We're a family of three (including a 13-year-old) visiting St. Regis Bahia for the first time during Thanksgiving. We'll be there for 4 nights and plan to see attractions like El Yunque and Old San Juan.

For those who've stayed at this property:
  • Is a car necessary?
  • Have you used excursion or tour services that offer hotel pickup and drop-off and if so how did that turn out?
Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2023, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by harischsood
Do We Need a Car for St. Regis Bahia Visit?

Hello FlyerTalk community,

We're a family of three (including a 13-year-old) visiting St. Regis Bahia for the first time during Thanksgiving. We'll be there for 4 nights and plan to see attractions like El Yunque and Old San Juan.

For those who've stayed at this property:
  • Is a car necessary?
  • Have you used excursion or tour services that offer hotel pickup and drop-off and if so how did that turn out?
Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!
Car would be easier and cheaper, while providing more flexibility, than any other option. I'd rent a car.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by slariz
Car would be easier and cheaper, while providing more flexibility, than any other option. I'd rent a car.
Thanks
Old Oct 27, 2023, 9:33 am

I agree with renting a car, the resort is isolated. I think our ride from the airport was at least 45 minutes.

I am sure the resort can connect you with a great guide service for El Yunque. Parking in the National Forest is limited. I was very happy we got a guide who accompanied us on some hikes and dropped/picked us up at other travel heads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.