Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Villarrica Park Lake, a Luxury Collection Hotel & Spa, Chile [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Villarrica Park Lake, a Luxury Collection Hotel & Spa, Chile [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
It looks like this hotel is probably closed due to the volcano erupting. Amazing pictures: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...tion-in-chile/

I hope everyone is safe and the hotel makes out un-damaged. It is definitely a property I'd like to visit in the future.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:02 pm

We arrived at Villarrica Luxury Collection Property on March 1 after a three flights from NYC. We picked up a car and drove to the hotel, eating at the main restaurant that evening. On March 2, we drove up the road to Villarrica volcano, but after going about half way up, the road was closed because of the activity. After taking some pictures, we talked with a local who told us that at night one can see the lava streaming down the mountain. That evening we had dinner nearby and decided to wait until the next day to drive half way up the volcano in the evening to take pictures of the lava. Upon arriving at our hotel, the hotel staff circulated materials describing the conditions of the volcano and the possible threat to an eruption. We were told that if there was a problem during the evening, we would be awaken.
Shortly after 3 AM, loadspeakers began blaring in Spanish, but not understading what was being said, I picked up the phone to call the front desk. Almost immediately one of the hotel personnel began knocking on our room, telling us in English that we must immediately leave. I asked about taking luggage and he said not to remove the luggage, just leave. Within 15 minutes my wife and I dressed quickly packed our two suitcases and headed to our car in front of the hotel. Many guests were streaming our of the hotel into their cars, and we saw a small bus loading guests as well. Upon reaching the road we saw traffic as far as the eye could see, and the traffic was moving at about 25 km per hour. For 90 minutes we drove to the airport, arriving at about 430 AM, where we waited for the LAN staff to arrive at 9 AM. We were able to standby on LAN and cleared at the last minute, arriving in Santiago at about 1 PM. LAN boarded all standbys without charge if they were among those evaculated.
Our quick departure from the hotel caused us to leave some clothes and our tourist cards at the hotel. Quickly on the scene was the President of Chile who flew up on the government plane.
We did not hear of any one being injured although we heard of a bridge being washed away because of the melting snow. Many chose to stay and watch the fireworks, but we never saw any of the shots that have been posted on the internet.
Needless to say, we tried to leave the hotel as quickly as possible. Kudos to the hotel staff for their preperations, as when we talked with guests at other hotels, none told us of any of the preperations that we had at our Luxury Collection property.
I was planning to write a review of the hotel, but I suspect I will not do so now.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
We arrived at Villarrica Luxury Collection Property on March 1 after a three flights from NYC. We picked up a car and drove to the hotel, eating at the main restaurant that evening. On March 2, we drove up the road to Villarrica volcano, but after going about half way up, the road was closed because of the activity. After taking some pictures, we talked with a local who told us that at night one can see the lava streaming down the mountain. That evening we had dinner nearby and decided to wait until the next day to drive half way up the volcano in the evening to take pictures of the lava. Upon arriving at our hotel, the hotel staff circulated materials describing the conditions of the volcano and the possible threat to an eruption. We were told that if there was a problem during the evening, we would be awaken.
Shortly after 3 AM, loadspeakers began blaring in Spanish, but not understading what was being said, I picked up the phone to call the front desk. Almost immediately one of the hotel personnel began knocking on our room, telling us in English that we must immediately leave. I asked about taking luggage and he said not to remove the luggage, just leave. Within 15 minutes my wife and I dressed quickly packed our two suitcases and headed to our car in front of the hotel. Many guests were streaming our of the hotel into their cars, and we saw a small bus loading guests as well. Upon reaching the road we saw traffic as far as the eye could see, and the traffic was moving at about 25 km per hour. For 90 minutes we drove to the airport, arriving at about 430 AM, where we waited for the LAN staff to arrive at 9 AM. We were able to standby on LAN and cleared at the last minute, arriving in Santiago at about 1 PM. LAN boarded all standbys without charge if they were among those evaculated.
Our quick departure from the hotel caused us to leave some clothes and our tourist cards at the hotel. Quickly on the scene was the President of Chile who flew up on the government plane.
We did not hear of any one being injured although we heard of a bridge being washed away because of the melting snow. Many chose to stay and watch the fireworks, but we never saw any of the shots that have been posted on the internet.
Needless to say, we tried to leave the hotel as quickly as possible. Kudos to the hotel staff for their preperations, as when we talked with guests at other hotels, none told us of any of the preperations that we had at our Luxury Collection property.
I was planning to write a review of the hotel, but I suspect I will not do so now.
Wow, what a story! I hope everyone in the area is OK. I enjoyed a lovely stay at this hotel in February. The volcano was snow capped and peaceful then. Just an absolutely wild story... can't believe they flew everyone to Santiago. Just wild.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:22 pm

I do not know of anyone who was hurt in this disaster.

We had a minor glitch that is important for those flying to Chile in the future. During the past year, the Chilean government and the US government have agreed to change the requirements for admission, meaning that no longer tourists will be required to fork over $150 at SCL to enter the country. However, there is a free tourist card that the airline will give you that is to be filled out and stamped when entering Chile. Somehow in the darkness of the night, we had left our tourist cards behind along with some clothes, and when we tried to check out from the Luxury Collection property in SCL, we were told we would need to pay 19% tax on our hotel bill as well as every other hotel bill we would have while we were in Chile. Also it may be impossible for us to leave Chile legally. What to do????

The Concierge at the Luxury Collection property spent 3 hours trying to get the photocopy of our tourist cards from the hotel at Villarrica. Finally after about 4 phone calls and hours of frustration, he succeeded in having them email a copy of our cards to his desk so that we could avoid taxes at this and other properties. The other review on this site discussed difficulties in Lost In Translation events similar to what we had.

So, if you come to Chile, handle the tourist cards as carefully as your passports if you are a U.S. citizen.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
I do not know of anyone who was hurt in this disaster.

We had a minor glitch that is important for those flying to Chile in the future. During the past year, the Chilean government and the US government have agreed to change the requirements for admission, meaning that no longer tourists will be required to fork over $150 at SCL to enter the country. However, there is a free tourist card that the airline will give you that is to be filled out and stamped when entering Chile. Somehow in the darkness of the night, we had left our tourist cards behind along with some clothes, and when we tried to check out from the Luxury Collection property in SCL, we were told we would need to pay 19% tax on our hotel bill as well as every other hotel bill we would have while we were in Chile. Also it may be impossible for us to leave Chile legally. What to do????

The Concierge at the Luxury Collection property spent 3 hours trying to get the photocopy of our tourist cards from the hotel at Villarrica. Finally after about 4 phone calls and hours of frustration, he succeeded in having them email a copy of our cards to his desk so that we could avoid taxes at this and other properties. The other review on this site discussed difficulties in Lost In Translation events similar to what we had.

So, if you come to Chile, handle the tourist cards as carefully as your passports if you are a U.S. citizen.
Yes, I had that card too and weirdly unlike other countries who give them like Thailand - they don't staple it into your passport. Mine was constantly falling out and onto the floor. Customs... a stapler please!
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:23 am

We just received an email from the hotel stating that they will not charge customers for the night that they were evaculated at 3 AM. This was the right thing to do.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I was reading in the Chilean press today that this hotel is de-flagging in January 2016.

"Enjoy" hotels is reportedly taking over. I imagine they are a local outfit.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:13 am

Leaving Starwood on January 15, 2016

Leaving Starwood on January 15, 2016

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury...ropertyID=3614

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.