Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Villarrica Park Lake, a Luxury Collection Hotel & Spa, Chile [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques

A new Luxury Collection is slated to join Starwood next month. I just spoke with someone who knows the area and it is supposed to be very beautiful.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 3:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
A little more detail in case I'm not the only one who didn't know where this was...

http://www.rttnews.com/Content/Quick...=B1&Id=1480947

(RTTNews) - Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (HOT: News ) said Monday that it has signed a management agreement with Grupo Hotelera Aguas Verdes S.A. to manage the Villarrica Park Lake Hotel & Spa under The Luxury Collection brand.

The property will undergo renovations to its rooms and spacious suites and will become a part of The Luxury Collection's exclusive portfolio in December.

Villarrica Park Lake Hotel & Spa is ideally situated in the Araucania region 435 miles south of Santiago, surrounded by lakes, volcanoes and mountains.....
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
I can attest to the fast that this is indeed a gorgeous region of Chile!

http://www.chile-travel.com/hotel-villarrica-park-lake/

Can't wait.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:09 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Does anyone know what the skiing is like in the area?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 8:55 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Opened yesterday!

Villarrica Park Lake Hotel & Spa, Villarrica

SPG Category 4
Old Sep 17, 2011, 7:03 pm

anyone been there yet?
hoping to visit in dec...
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Bump. Also looking for any information on this property.

Going to be in Chile in late November (US Thanksgiving week). Is that time of year warm enough in the lakes region/Villarrica/Pucon area for lots of outdoor activities? River rafting?
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Another bump. Any updates / trip reports yet on this property? (specifically on Platinum treatment) I'm thinking of spending 4 nights here in January. Looks like a pretty good deal using points (Cat 4, 10k/night) considering the rates are $450+/night.

-FlyerBeek
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Another bump. Any updates / trip reports yet on this property? (specifically on Platinum treatment) I'm thinking of spending 4 nights here in January. Looks like a pretty good deal using points (Cat 4, 10k/night) considering the rates are $450+/night.

-FlyerBeek
Did you go in Jan? How was it?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Been to the area ...

... in 1999, we took a 3 week vacation to Chile and Easter Island and visited this region. It is indeed beautiful - a verdant land of snowcapped volcanoes and lakes. The conical volcano seen in the photo is Vulcan Villarrica, and there are two towns near to it, Villarrica which is smaller and less interesting, and Pucon, which is the adventure travel center of the region. You can ski on the Volcano, you can take a guided hike to the smoking crater and look into it. You can also visit thermal springs in the nearby area, though using a rental car is the best way to do it.

Looking at the hotel's location, it seems that it is in a more secluded location outside of the towns, and you would have to drive or shuttle into town. When we stayed there, we stayed in both Villarrica and Pucon and needless to say, there was no starwood option.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:42 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Bump...anyone been?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
Is this the most southern Starwoods hotel?
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Villarrica Park Lake Hotel & Spa

Hello,

I did a search and didn't find any information on this property. So I thought I'd start one.

Getting there:
The Villarrica Park Lake Hotel & Spa sits equidistant from the town of Villarrica and the town of Pucón on Lake Villarrica in Southern Chile. It is in the northern part of the Lakes District. Driving to either town takes a little over 10 minutes by car. Hotel signage is not great so drive slow as you get about 1/2 way along the drive. Keep an eye out for a blue "H" sign which means Hotel. It appears about 200m prior to the Hotel on either side. Free parking is on offer when you arrive.

Check in:
You are greeted by a welcome drink of champagne at the front desk and arrive on the 6th floor. The hotel is built into the side of a mountain over the lake - so floors go down from there (to #1) and there is also one floor above reception. Higher floors have better views - although all rooms have a wonderful view of the lake.

While the front desk staff are friendly, there is not much English spoken by the front desk personnel. Surprising for a luxury property and unfortunately made it very difficult to ask for anything out of the ordinary.

Suite:
I was upgraded to a lovely suite as a Platinum customer:

The bed is actually two doubles pushed together with two separate double quilts. Could be disappointing if you like to snuggle with your partner. Or perhaps a plus if you like to sleep

The bedroom is rather large but somewhat dark since there are only two small windows. But this is not where you'll be spending your time.

The bathroom has a split toilet/shower:

There is also a tub and hair dryer:

The living room has a couch and dining room table. The suites are on the corners of the building which gives a lot of light and views from two sides:

The deck is a wonderful place to sit and drink the Champagne and eat the chocolates they left me for being a Platinum guest:

There is no iron/board in the rooms. Housekeeping is OK, but they ignored the DND sign during my first day (I arrived after a long trip and was napping). They tried to enter even ignoring the DND sign - but luckily I had a bolt on the door to stop them. Later I discovered they wanted to bring in a fresh fruit plate in addition to the Champagne & Chocolates as a Platinum welcome gift. Certainly a nice surprise - but would've been nicer if they waited until I removed the DND sign.

Amenities/Other:
1- They have a nice swimming pool and lounges with umbrellas. I could not find anyone to assist however and had to build my own lounge station.
2- They have a grill poolside and there are staff who will serve you at the lounge. Well staffed and friendly.
3- The gym/spa is located on the same floor (1st) right behind the pool. However the gym is very small and not overly usable. They have a very poor dumbbell set without even so much as a weight bench to work out with. As well the water bottle was empty during my visits. Someone needs to monitor refilling more closely.
4- Breakfast is served on the 5th floor and is complimentary for Platinums. It is a lovely spread with fresh juices, breads, meats/cheeses, wonderful choices of fresh fruits and a fresh omelet and pancake station. it is understaffed however and very difficult to get a seat and/or get your bill to sign when you leave (even though it's free they want you to sign).
5- The property does not have a club lounge or happy hour for Platinums. They do however have a nice bar on the 5th floor overlooking the Lake where you can enjoy some wine.
6- There are a lot of nooks and crannies along the 5th, 6th and even 7th floor where you can sit and relax. Including a pool table and foosball table for your enjoyment.
7- The Internet was the fastest I've ever seen at any Starwood property worldwide. 40 Mpbs. Loved it!!
8- They have two computers (one with printer) on the 7th floor avail for use.
9- I enjoyed dinner 2x at the property. They have a small sushi lounge where you can eat a small selection of sushi. I also had a buffet dinner (Italian the night I went) which was nice although small. As well - the deserts were not out buffet style but rather had to be ordered. With my poor Spanish it was difficult to identify what they were. I think the property should have everything out buffet style.

Although obviously a Starwood property - it was not categorized as such with American Express. As such I had to call them to get my extra Starpoint per dollar spent at the property. Not sure if this is Amex or the properties fault - but I do wonder how many others missed this and were not properly credited their Starpoints if they used their SPG Amex here. I asked Amex to correct their system - so we shall see if it fixes the issue going forward.

Overall I recommend this property and enjoyed a lovely stay here. I was treated incredibly well as a Platinum. I do however think they should hire some front desk personnel who speak better English. While I realize I'm in Chile - this is a Luxury Collection property and I expect to be able to communicate with their staff.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for a great review.^

Old thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...spa-chile.html
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Nice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.