Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Vana Belle, Koh Samui, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Vana Belle, Koh Samui, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 3:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just completed a four night stay. Fantastic. One of my best resort experiences ever.

This was a last minute booking and the rate was lower than I've ever seen (under 9k THB for the Classic suite with breakfast). I booked a Deluxe suite and was able to score an upgrade to Grand suite at check-in. The room was amazing, with panoramic sea view and a totally private infinity pool on the terrace. I would probably reserve the Grand suite next time because it is definitely worth the higher rate.

We really enjoyed breakfast. Service was a little inconsistent but never less than acceptable. Buffet was very very good and we had fun sampling the various a la carte menu. The sweet items were much better than the savory (with the exception of the bacon quiche, which is excellent).

Ate dinner here twice at the Italian place based on convenience. It's not that great. I will join in the recommendations for Phensiri, which is a 15 minute walk away.

Service was great. There were no glitches at all. All requests cheerfully met.

We used the NaviGo App and loved it. All trips to Chaweng were in the 200-220 THB range. Cars were in great shape (mostly new SUVs) and drivers were friendly and very safe. So much better than the taxis. Resort to airport was 314 THB.

Cannot wait to return.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:00 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Has anyone booked this resort with points post-August 18th?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:14 am
CL9

Programs: MR Platinum, QRPC Platinum
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Has anyone booked this resort with points post-August 18th?
It is not possible right now, as the most of SPG luxury properties.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:44 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by CL9
Not online no, but most people are getting (sometimes contradictory) results via the phone. If you have the persistence to manage to get someone on the line.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CL9
huh?
The properties that you can't reserve online are the limited number of all suite properties which formerly charged double points. I don't think they've ever been bookable online.

Not defending Marriott here, they certainly led us to believe these properties would be available online for 60k points, but your post suggests the number of properties affected is much more widespread than it actually is.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:04 am
CL9

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Not online no, but most people are getting (sometimes contradictory) results via the phone. If you have the persistence to manage to get someone on the line.
Even when you get someone on the phone, some properties are still not bookable with points shown on the website.

Originally Posted by Kacee
huh?
The properties that you can't reserve online are the limited number of all suite properties which formerly charged double points. I don't think they've ever been bookable online.

Not defending Marriott here, they certainly led us to believe these properties would be available online for 60k points, but your post suggests the number of properties affected is much more widespread than it actually is.
The problem is not missing possibility to book online. The problem is you can't do it on phone too.
And Marriott was announcing it a long time that CAT 8 properties will be only 60.000 points per night until end of year.
When you now looking for a points stay at the Marriott website, you see it 60.000 points per night.
But you cannot book online. You call hotline and all they can tell you is, that they cannot book too.... Very funny

Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:53 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by CL9
Even when you get someone on the phone, some properties are still not bookable with points shown on the website.
That may be, though I'm not seen a confirmed report of this? There have been confirmed bookings at all the most popular all suite properties on this forum - from Al Maha to the W and St Regis in Maldives. I would not be surprised if a few are still down (and I would be surprised if they were always all working), but there's no evidence of a widespread issue that I've seen.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by CL9
The statement that "most" SPG luxury properties cannot be booked is simply false.

Again, I'm not defending Marriott, they ought to live up to their word and make everything available for 60k points, but this particular issue affects a relatively small number of properties.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:16 am
CL9

The statement that "most" SPG luxury properties cannot be booked is simply false.

Again, I'm not defending Marriott, they ought to live up to their word and make everything available for 60k points, but this particular issue affects a relatively small number of properties.
I know everbody understand something different at the meaning "most" but 26 of 48 ist not a small number.

To clarify my meaning so everbody can find his own word for this amount, I give you an overview.
26 of 48 SPG luxury properties are not bookable in the moment (online/hotline) with 60.000 points per night. (I know some of them could be booked in the past)

Here is my list:

n Al Maha, a Luxury Collection Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai Luxury Collection United Arab Emirates 85 8*
n Cristallo, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Cortina d'Ampezzo Luxury Collection Italy 85 8*
n G-Rough, Rome, a Member of Design Hotels Design Hotels Italy 85 8*
n Giardino Ascona, A Member Of Design Hotels Design Hotels Switzerland 85 8*
n Giardino Mountain, a Member of Design Hotels Design Hotels Switzerland 85 8*
y Gramercy Park Hotel, New York, a Member of Design Hotels™ Design Hotels USA 85 8*
n Hotel Cala di Volpe, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Costa Smeralda Luxury Collection Italy 85 8*
y Hotel Danieli, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Venice Luxury Collection Italy 85 8*
n Hotel Pitrizza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Costa Smeralda Luxury Collection Italy 85 8*
y Hotel President Wilson, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Geneva Luxury Collection Switzerland 85 8*
n Hotel Romazzino, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Costa Smeralda Luxury Collection Italy 85 8*
y Hôtel de Berri, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Paris Luxury Collection France 85 8*
n Kenoa Exclusive Beach Spa & Resort, Barra de Sao Miguel, a Member of Design Hotels Design Hotels Brazil 85 8*
n Le Méridien Bora Bora Le Meridien French Polynesia 85 8*
n Mystique, A Luxury Collection Resort, Santorini Luxury Collection Greece 85 8*
y PalazzinaG, Venice, a Member of Design Hotels Design Hotels Italy 85 8*
n Parklane, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Limassol Luxury Collection Cyprus 85 8*
y Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale Luxury Collection USA 85 8*
y Prince de Galles, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Paris Luxury Collection France 85 8*
n Santa Marina, a Luxury Collection Resort, Mykonos Luxury Collection Greece 85 8*
y Schloss Fuschl, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Fuschlsee-Salzburg Luxury Collection Austria 85 8*
y Sir Joan Hotel, Ibiza City, a Member of Design Hotels Design Hotels Spain 85 8*
n Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto Luxury Collection Japan 85 8*
y The Canyon Suites at The Phoenician, a Luxury Collection Resort, Scottsdale Luxury Collection USA 85 8*
y The Chatwal, a Luxury Collection Hotel, New York City Luxury Collection USA 85 8*
y The Gritti Palace, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Venice Luxury Collection Italy 85 8*
y The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, a Luxury Collection Hotel Luxury Collection Japan 85 8*
n The St. Regis Aspen Resort St. Regis USA 85 8*
y The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico St. Regis Puerto Rico 85 8*
y The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort St. Regis USA 85 8*
n The St. Regis Bali Resort St. Regis Indonesia 85 8*
n The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort St. Regis French Polynesia 85 8*
y The St. Regis Deer Valley St. Regis USA 85 8*
n The St. Regis Florence St. Regis Italy 85 8*
n The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort St. Regis Maldives 85 8*
y The St. Regis Mardavall Mallorca Resort St. Regis Spain 85 8*
y The St. Regis New York St. Regis USA 85 8*
y The St. Regis Osaka St. Regis Japan 85 8*
n The St. Regis Princeville Resort St. Regis USA 85 8*
n The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort St. Regis Mexico 85 8*
n The St. Regis Rome St. Regis Italy 85 8*
y The Wellesley Knightsbridge, a Luxury Collection Hotel, London Luxury Collection United Kingdom 85 8*
n The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal Westin Costa Rica 85 8*
n Vana Belle, a Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui Luxury Collection Thailand 85 8*
n W Koh Samui W Hotels Thailand 85 8*
n W Maldives W Hotels Maldives 85 8*
y W South Beach W Hotels USA 85 8*
y W Verbier W Hotels Switzerland 85 8*
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:13 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Folks,

This is a property master thread. Please stay on topic.

Thanks,
yosithezet
Co-Moderator, MSR Forum

Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:40 am

Now showing bookable online for 60k per night. I didn't go all the way through the booking process. Personally I would be hesitant to book the base room here, as they have no view and the property is known to be tight with upgrades. But given that even the base rooms here routinely price at over $400 USD, plus 17% tax, the points redemption can be a good deal, particularly for 5 nights or more.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:51 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Now showing bookable online for 60k per night. I didn't go all the way through the booking process. Personally I would be hesitant to book the base room here, as they have no view and the property is known to be tight with upgrades. But given that even the base rooms here routinely price at over $400 USD, plus 17% tax, the points redemption can be a good deal, particularly for 5 nights or more.
That's the game plan. It's for a special occasion (honeymoon), and seems like one of the top choices in the area that still has a few Western amenities. If anyone has other suggestions though, I'm all ears.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
That's the game plan. It's for a special occasion (honeymoon), and seems like one of the top choices in the area that still has a few Western amenities. If anyone has other suggestions though, I'm all ears.
It's a fantastic resort. I recommend quite highly, especially for Plats. Their policy is a one-class upgrade, but you may have to push even for that. They may also offer cash upgrades if you contact via email in advance. Some of the Deluxe rooms have spectacular sea views; the Grand Deluxe rooms are fantastic. Even the Classic rooms have the plunge pool; they just don't have views.

Conrad would be another option on points, but the location is quite a bit more challenging.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:17 pm

Would the base room at W Koh Samui be better? Anyone recommend W over Vana?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by laddielad
Would the base room at W Koh Samui be better? Anyone recommend W over Vana?
I haven't stayed at the W, but the VB has a much better location IMO, and nothing I have read about W makes me want to stay there. I would choose either VB or Conrad first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.